An Update on How We Should Feel About Travis Steele After St. John’s

Postby muskiefan19 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:37 pm

Last night was bad....

However, this needs to be said.

https://thebrokenanchor.com/i-know-this-looks-bad/
Jesseandrippers

Re: An Update on How We Should Feel About Travis Steele After St. John’s

Postby Jesseandrippers » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:48 pm

Dont you feel even the slightest bit dirty soliciting clicks to your site from another free site?
muskiefan19

Postby muskiefan19 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:08 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:48 pm
Dont you feel even the slightest bit dirty soliciting clicks to your site from another free site?
We’re going THERE Jesse? Just here to start some conversation and have a good time like everyone else.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Why is it negative shade to seek clicks to a site? We all get pitched to click every day, all day long. The neat thing is we are free to click or not click.
"Neat" dates me I know, but I still likes it.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:24 pm

Travis will get another year to prove himself. He will probably even get 2 more.

As of now, Travis is not head coach material. In game adjustments are lacking. Proper rotation and understanding who is playing well and who is struggling, just isn't there. Defense is lacking.

Travis could probably be very successful if he brought someone in with the skills he is missing. Or he could slide back to a role he was very successful in. Certainly he could also develop into a competent coach but that needs to happen fast or it may have to happen at another university.

The pieces are there for the team to be successful. The team has shooters, slashers and solid post play. Size down low is acceptable and good on the wing. Enough speed and athleticism to create shots and be capable defenders.

Certainly weeks of no practice make winning more challenging and X lost to 2 solid teams. Hopefully there are no more stoppages of play and the team can find their stride. Either way, Travis needs to up his game.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:11 pm

madness31 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:24 pm
Travis will get another year to prove himself. He will probably even get 2 more.
Agree with everything you said but want to understand the basis for your confidence he gets two more years. I was excited about the talent he recruited and the team's fast start. But, the team appears to have begun its annual fade (consistent with past performance under his coaching) and even one more year will be tough to stomach. Nevertheless, he has a four year deal and, as you stated, he may turn out to a competent head coach.

But, he just has the one year, right? So, do you assume he receives a one year extension beyond the four years? Is that the norm? How could he recruit next year without an extension?

I like the guy and really want him to succeed. More time on job can only help help him. However, based on the numerous board observations about his game mgmt., lack of player development, his comments at the pressers which give the impression he may be clueless, etc., etc. something isn't right. It seems like he isn't growing much in the job his first few years. These next few games are so important. I hope he figures it out.
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:15 pm

Bad article. Per usual.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:25 am

I have no insider information on the coach or athletic department. My comment is primarily based on giving him time to recruit and then coach his players. Covid creates a complication that could cause the AD to give him more time. Showing some growth could also get him another year. If the school is undecided on what to do at the end of next year, they should simply structure the contract to limit the guaranteed money. Travis certainly hasn't done enough to warrant a position of strength at the negotiating table.

Certainly who is available will also matter. Is there a top tier coach looking to leave a program? Any rising stars in the coaching ranks that are ready to be promoted? If the right coach is obvious, Travis has 1 more year to prove himself. If there is nothing obvious, he will probably get an extension to see if he can grow into the job.

It takes time to grow into a position. Xavier should not panic but they also need to be sure we don't settle for mediocrity. I'd love for Travis to be the guy but as of now, he is struggling. Xavier has no identity at the moment. We don't defend and we don't play efficient offense. Generally, when you don't get 5 star recruits, you need to defend at a high level. Additionally taking smart shots helps. When you fail at both, you will disappoint a lot of fans.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Talking about Steele getting us to the final four? How about the NCAA tourney?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”