X-lucidity

Re: Butler Game thread 2/21

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:03 pm

Free taking that early “3”.
Just stone cold stupidity
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 pm

Fortunately we are playing an overmatched and depleted squad. We take and cherish the “W”.
Oh, and I will not be watching this replay.
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:14 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 pm
Fortunately we are playing an overmatched and depleted squad. We take and cherish the “W”.
Oh, and I will not be watching this replay.
Travis has caught a lot of breaks in this covid season.

Very few road games, no Nova, SHU and UConn once, depleted Butler.

Not sure this team is NCAA caliber playing a normal schedule.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:41 pm

Lets take the win and move forward. Nice to win when Scruggs plays poorly.
Bad shooting on both sides but a conference win is a conference win.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:44 pm

Where do I start?

O.K. Let me begin with this. Travis Steele is a lousy coach. He loses games that we can win and he almost loses games that we should win. How, on earth, did Butler keep tonight's game so close for so long? A loss tonight might have sealed the Muskies fate and caused them to miss March Madness. That could have been a very, very bad loss.

1. Steele failed to contest several horrendous calls by the refs. He just shrugged his shoulders and turned his back after ZFree's fourth foul. Steele should have been in the official's face long before that. If he were more assertive, perhaps X would not be on the receiving end of so many bad calls. If Steele fails to assert his position with the officials, perhaps he is equally un-communitive with his players.

2. As in failing to politely ask Carter to not shoot another f-ing three pointer for the rest of the season.

3. Scruggs did not shoot well and he also made some dumb-ass drives down deep without any realistic alternative other to throw up an ugly, out of control shot or turn the ball over. Couldn't Steele have moved Scruggs out to the perimeter, posted him down low (so he could have gotten some free throw attempts), sent him out on the break or just told Scruggs not to make dump plays?

4. Kunkel continues his god awful shooting. Why not give some of his minutes to Tandy? At least, until Kunkel fights his way out of the current slump. And, why bench Tandy when he clearly gave X a spark? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND STEEL'S IN GAME DECISIONS. It feels like he pulls names out of a hat to find his substitutes. Then, regardless of how they play, they are back on the bench in no time.

5. Johnson just didn't have it tonight. I don't think I would tell Nate to stop shooting. I would allow him to play through his slump. But, I would politely ask Carter to not shoot another f-ing three pointer for the remainder of his Xavier career and get the ball to Johnson instead.

6. Was Bryan Griffin injured or still out with Covid?

7. I like Odom but that young man must, must, must develop an outside shot.

8. Some others have suggested that X, more than other B.E. teams, has been negatively damaged by the Covid-related down time. They should be working their way out of that position by now.

9. On the plus side, I'm happy that ZFree remembered he is a post player. Colby Jones is a playa! And, great to see Daniel Ramsey after all these years.

10. Is it plausible that most of us (me included) have over-rated Steele's recruiting classes? Perhaps this year's team wasn't as talented as we all initially thought?
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:01 pm

This performance does not bode well for the remaining games. Out rebounded & 2-19from 3 usually not winning BB. Gutty effort by Butler with only (7) players. Imagine they are going to see a lot of zone-(46) missed 3’s in last 2 games. Hard to judge the defense against out manned Butler. Barely enough offense to win the game- a lot closer tha the score. Hope they prove me wrong but would be surprised if the win (2) of the last (4) games
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:21 pm

I agree if we play like we did today we might not win another game. Solid games for Odom and especially Jones who is turning into a great defender. If Kunkel and Johnson are not hitting shots they really don’t do much else same with Wilcher. Nice to see Ramsey play well as well as Tandy and of course they don’t see the court in second half. You really have to question Steele’s in game coaching. Zach and Carter don’t need to shoot anymore 3’s this year. Scruggs has picked a bad time to play his two worst games of the season.
MOSQUETERO

Postby MOSQUETERO » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 am

We're not going to win another game if Scruggs and Johnson combine for 6 points.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 am

hey, it wasn't pretty, but several things that were bothering people from last game didn't happen this game, mainly shooting 40 threes. 2-19 is concerning but i didn't really see many "bad" ones. once again, it's ok to take some early in the shot clock sometimes, especially when you get a wide open look off a drive and kick or a pick and pop. that happened a few times. we just didn't hit them. Kunkel in a slump and only played 7 minutes. he and Wilcher were the only guys in the "minus" column for +/-. probably why they only played 7 and 6 minutes each. KyKy and Odom were zeros in the +/- but each had a hand in some timely baskets when we needed them.

loved seeing Ramsey out there. hopefully his knees actually hold up. yes, i wish he would have played more in the 2nd half but i'm guessing coming off an extended injury like he's had, they are being cautious to see how he feels after each game, even if it was only 4 minutes.

Scruggs - what is there is to say - he STRUGGLED. he was still a +9 on the floor. Nate couldn't buy a 3 either but was still a +15 in 35+ minutes.

Jones - love this kid. his future is bright. Free did "Free" things, as usual. Carter was still a +11 when he was out there and he played tremendous D in the last 7-10 minutes of the game. he took 2 3's that were wide open. that's fine. he knows if he doesn't hit one he's not going to shoot another. it's fine. i'm guessing at some point in the next 5 games he's going to get a wide open look and knock one down in a big moment for us. he made both of his FT's, so THERE!

i get it, Butler was a bit depleted but i don't care. a W is a W in this league. just keep grinding at practice to get our legs and consistency back and this team is going to be a tough out in March.

believe in Steele and the boys.

let's get behind them.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:52 am

MOSQUETERO wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 am
We're not going to win another game if Scruggs and Johnson combine for 6 points.
What has happened to those 2? Scruggs probably scored more at Butler than he has the last 3 games combined.Johnson seems to have lost his shot and Kunkel has had more bad games than good ones.They have to play better down the stretch for us to make March Madness You need at least 2 of those 3 to play well to beat a good opponent. If Butler is at full strength I'm not sure we win last night.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”