The good old days

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

The good old days

Postby skyhops » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:04 pm

I took some time to look at Xavier's Big East stats and I ran into some disturbing numbers. Remember when one of Xavier's main goal was to make more free throws than the opponents shoot? Xavier has been to the FT line the least amount of any team in Big East and has made the least amount of FT's. Nine of the teams in the conference had made more FT's than Xavier has shot. Also, Xavier is the worst shooting 3 point shooting team in the BE, yet we continue to shoot 3's. This is not a recipe for success. I miss the good old days of not settling for jumpers (and players that should not shoot) and taking the ball to the basket and playing tough. With our current game plan it is a surprise that we have won five games. I don't see us winning these upcoming games. I hope I'm wrong.
Jesseandrippers

Re: The good old days

Postby Jesseandrippers » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:53 am

skyhops wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:04 pm
I took some time to look at Xavier's Big East stats and I ran into some disturbing numbers. Remember when one of Xavier's main goal was to make more free throws than the opponents shoot? Xavier has been to the FT line the least amount of any team in Big East and has made the least amount of FT's. Nine of the teams in the conference had made more FT's than Xavier has shot. Also, Xavier is the worst shooting 3 point shooting team in the BE, yet we continue to shoot 3's. This is not a recipe for success. I miss the good old days of not settling for jumpers (and players that should not shoot) and taking the ball to the basket and playing tough. With our current game plan it is a surprise that we have won five games. I don't see us winning these upcoming games. I hope I'm wrong.
What I miss more is the assurance that we would play better as the year went on. While it is tough to support with data, due to the difference in conference difficulty, I always felt that we had our act together by early Jan under Thad and Miller. Games like today would very rarely happen in the home stretch of a season.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:14 am

Agreed, that seems to go along with tough, aggressive and disciplined teams. I doubt we win again this year
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:46 pm

I think you are correct. The way we are playing and shooting is BAD. Not only that but take away 2 last second shots and we have 3 BE wins. (I know you can’t take them away, but indicative of how close we are to the bottom of the league). Dancing this year—I think not. Hope Steele proves me wrong tho.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”