Providence game thread 2.24.2021

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XavierBob

Re: Providence game thread 2.24.2021

Postby XavierBob » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:42 pm

Right now we are a bad basketball team. Jacking up bad shot after bad shot, playing no defense. Teams shoot way over their yearly percentage from three against us because we don’t guard it. As I’ve stated before the problem is in the head coaching chair. We all know that he will be here for awhile. With this talent there are no excuses for this type of play. I never mind getting beat but it’s hard to watch a college team play jr. high bball. I’m afraid the glory days of Xavier hoops are fading. BTW if we come back and miraculously win this game I’ll stand by this post.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:44 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:25 pm
Kunkel and Carter are not Big East players especially on defense. Coming out flat again and no direction on offense. There is no reason for Freemantle to take threes when no one is under. No identity on offense. Say goodbye to to tourney.
Have same thoughts about Kunkel + Carter. I didn't think Carter had a less effective part of his offensive game than three point shooting.....until I watched him pass up the three, put it on the floor, take it to the rack and throw up one of the ugliest shots I have seen X take this year.

I think many of us over-hyped the new blood (both recruits and transfers) and after watching the Oklahoma game, perhaps over-rated the talent on this team. The guys we put on the floor tonight, with the exception of Scruggs, seem over-matched (even Freemantle). We just don't look like we are as good as Provident.

Add to the dearth of B.E. talent, a disturbing tendency by X, under the Steele watch, to fade in the second halt of the season and we have what looks like the beginnings of a must-have win that is turning into a snoozer.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:00 pm

So we are a perimter team that can't shot? How about getting the ball down low for a change. Steele is over his head
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:03 pm

XavierBob wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:42 pm
Right now we are a bad basketball team. Jacking up bad shot after bad shot, playing no defense. Teams shoot way over their yearly percentage from three against us because we don’t guard it. As I’ve stated before the problem is in the head coaching chair. We all know that he will be here for awhile. With this talent there are no excuses for this type of play. I never mind getting beat but it’s hard to watch a college team play jr. high bball. I’m afraid the glory days of Xavier hoops are fading. BTW if we come back and miraculously win this game I’ll stand by this post.
Spot on in every way. He is clueless. Absolutely clueless. He does not try and disrupt their rhythm in any way, even with token ¾ press, something every other team in the league does. Coaches love when they see X on the schedule, because they know they will outshoot their normal averages because Steel’s idea of an adjustment is telling his bench players to air guitar Thin Lizzy over Bon Jovi when they make a shot.

The horrendous shot selection again, and Tandy, by far the best offensive player, gets pulled after missing an assignment, yet Jones, Kunkel, Carter, and others have lost their man multiple times. BTW, I think he is saving Ramsey, who had a hell of a game against Butler, in case X makes the E-8.

I am afraid you are right X-Bob. Even if they win, chances are it will be due to the heroics of the player, rather than the bball acumen of Steele. X is squeaking by NIT teams, and Steele still does not understand how to manage his personnel.

No shame in not being a subpar coach. I was hoping it was just a learning curve thing, but AH is too bright a bball guru to delude himself. There is shame in trying to justify not playing your better players out of pride, or some type of personal animus, which no doubt in my mind exists between Steele and Tandy. X making the tourney is like Goodin making a 28 foot three. Will it become a trend, or prolong the agony? Missing the tourney 3 years in a row is the better bet now, even with one of the most fortuitous schedules in the league, evading Nova twice. I feel you UC bball fans. I feel ya.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:13 pm

Decent energy and defensive physicality so far this half. Where the hell was this to start the game. You dig such a deep hole.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Nasty cut on the eyelid.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:25 pm

Watson abusing all X's bigs. if only X had a tall, athletic big who played well against.....say the last game, to give it a shot.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Providence goes to zone, so Stelle has Odom and Carter in the game. Requires no more commentary.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:34 pm

You simply have to give Tandy or Wilcher a chance these last 8 min. Come on Coach!
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:35 pm

The last play was typical of the Steele years. Play good defense, end of shot clock don’t guard the three, let a bad shooter hit a dagger. Wash rinse repeat.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”