What Explains?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
edgecliff hall

What Explains?

Postby edgecliff hall » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:42 am

What explains Steele's odd and strange playing Jason Carter all the time, when there are far better player's dreaming away on the bench?
skyhops

Re: What Explains?

Postby skyhops » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:50 am

Ask MMan because he is allegedly a great defender and does the little things. He did allow a 5 pt scorer to drop 20 last night
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:32 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:50 am
Ask MMan because he is allegedly a great defender and does the little things. He did allow a 5 pt scorer to drop 20 last night
and who is this 5 pt scorer because Carter was guarding Watson most of the time?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:54 pm

He wasn’t guarding Watson the whole time. Steele is full of it when he says you have to play defense in order to be on the floor. Griffin is the most effective option against Watson, but I guess we didn’t read the scouting report. Enough excuses
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:54 pm
He wasn’t guarding Watson the whole time. Steele is full of it when he says you have to play defense in order to be on the floor. Griffin is the most effective option against Watson, but I guess we didn’t read the scouting report. Enough excuses
as Joe and Byron mentioned C, during the game, that Carter did a good job defending Watson. You sir said he defended only a 5 pt man and you are wrong. Now maybe you know more than Joe and Lark?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:38 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 pm
skyhops wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:54 pm
as Joe and Byron mentioned C, during the game, that Carter did a good job defending Watson. You sir said he defended only a 5 pt man and you are wrong. Now maybe you know more than Joe and Lark?
Watson was 7-10 shooting for 15 points. One do the misses was a block by griffin. Carter got manhandled by him. I didn’t listen to lark and Sunderman but no one on their right mind saw that whole game and said carter defended him well.
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:10 pm

Could it just be that the players on this team including Fremantle & Scruggs are really not that talented compared to other BE teams players? It would explain poor fundamentals evidenced by sloppy performance. #3 Michigan is embarrassing #9 Iowa right now but 19 points with both teams having stretches of poor play. Rust, COVID or the very nature of the game? No team is 100% consistent except the 2021 version of the Muskies are unfortunately more consistently imperfect! Maybe next year all of our “very talented” recruits will present a different picture by showing a lot more intensity than we saw in last nights Providence game.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:47 pm

Carter was schooled by both players and has played horrible the last four games despite playing too many minutes. Two points and 1 rebound just doesn't get in done no mater what conference you play in. When you play against someone like Watson you use a player like Griffin, who did a nice job. Carter is afraid to shot and is basically a charge or bad shot waiting to happen when you attempts to drive. Time to give others a shot because this is not working.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:45 am

Sonoma Muskie wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:10 pm
Could it just be that the players on this team including Fremantle & Scruggs are really not that talented compared to other BE teams players? It would explain poor fundamentals evidenced by sloppy performance. #3 Michigan is embarrassing #9 Iowa right now but 19 points with both teams having stretches of poor play. Rust, COVID or the very nature of the game? No team is 100% consistent except the 2021 version of the Muskies are unfortunately more consistently imperfect! Maybe next year all of our “very talented” recruits will present a different picture by showing a lot more intensity than we saw in last nights Providence game.
The tendency here has been to recruit to offense first, and defense will come. Is it right, is it wrong who knows. At the end of the day a guy like Freemantle is a very good offensive player, but he's a bit undersized and isn't particularly quick moving or jumping. It helps when you have a really good athlete inside for obvious reasons, but the rest of the guys have to keep their man in front of them. Defense is somewhat of a lost art at this point in college bball. Teams naturally look better earlier in the season as offense typically lags behind defense development wise. Sometimes you get lulled into thinking your good defensively and then the reality sets in later in the year when teams figure out there rotation and see what you're doing(or trying to do).
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:37 am

Please tell me Carter is not going to opt to come back next year for that extra year the NCAA is giving everyone. Now Nate Johnson I would welcome back

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”