Coaching Options

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
madness31

Coaching Options

Postby madness31 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:27 pm

Some believe another lost season is the result of bad coaching. Others believe Xavier doesn't have the talent to win in the BE.

Either way, Travis is responsible. If I was confident it was lack of talent, I'd be in favor of 1 more year of Travis. There is no denying that he inherited a raw deal and was unable to have a legit recruiting class his first year. He did well filling positions with transfers but was unable to achieve appropriate results.

There were disruptions this year and it certainly created complications. Johnson going down with an injury was obviously a huge hit to the team. If Johnson was a recruit, I'd be more willing to give Travis a pass. He was a transfer and many believed the bench was deep this year after early season results. Most of those games were against mediocre to bad teams so maybe we were delusional but seeing Odom and Jones play in BE games shows they can ball but have limitations.

The injury to Johnson was certainly a setback but a good coach adapts to the personnel he has. Given that Johnson wasn't even a Travis recruit, he should be able to design a game plan that fits his players. At least for half the final 8 games.

I agree with those that extend admiration of Travis as a person. He seems great but X can do much better. It was a mistake to hire from the Mack coaching tree. Mack struggled to coach. Defense was generally terrible and there was no such thing as a bad shot. Travis seems to be the same coach, just didn't have the shooters. Some will argue this means Travis should stay as he simply needs the right players. Mack did win games, actually had some highly rated teams. I'd argue all but 1 Mack team underperformed. I'd also suggest that a bad coach with good recruits will generally win games but is unlikely to take you beyond the elite 8.

I'm not sure what coaches are available or which associate head coaches are ready for the job. If there are some highly qualified candidates, X should jump on them. If not, I'm willing to take the job on an incentive basis. No pay unless I make the tournament and a bonus for each win in the tournament as well as for winning the conference and conference tournament. I'd need to identify the proper staff before I could definitively say this would be an improvement for X but I'd guarantee the ***** defense ends.

Greatness is a combination of talent and determination. X has not shown determination at an acceptable level in many, many years.
yellow20xd

Re: Coaching Options

Postby yellow20xd » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:20 am

Post your resume and 3 references and we'll get back to you... Dan lol
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:38 am

X has come to the "fork" in the road and now must make a decision which way to go. I say take the "fork". lol
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:27 am

I was at a gathering the other night where there was a gentleman who is an X insider, relative to 99% on the board. He said the prevailing thought is that there is still confidence in Steele, but that he has three recruiters as assistants (no X/O guy), and the latter are the ones who should/can advise him on adjustments. Three things struck me.

One, Steele, is seemingly getting a pass, which is disheartening. The point about the bench coaches might be true, but his inability to manage/develop personnel and make in game adjustments is stunningly lacking. I am on record saying he deserves another year, but it is largely influenced by my fear of losing three good recruiting classes (though some of the personnel are not being properly managed and developed), and thinking more with my heart than head. The great majority of X fans want him gone, and I'm starting to be swayed by Chitown's thinking, as well as the mutual consideration that the brand is taking a potentially irreparable hit.

I think three things are at play here: Especially due to the pandemic, X 's appetite for a 7 figure buyout isn't there.
We have an AD who does not have an impressive resume/experience in making these kind of decisions for a high level program.
Travis' big pocket donor/board member father in law.

Again, if he gets another year, very serious parameters should be mandated, including hiring a veteran coach (eg. Lousiville-Gaudio, Michigan-Howard), and he must have a winning record in the BE and makes the tournament. The bar on Victory Pkwy has dropped about three feet. Sad.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:50 pm

I think he gets a pass largely due to COVID. But, I do not understand how anyone who has watched this team over the last three years, could still have confidence in Steele. I initially thought he would grow into the job but we should have observed, this year, some of his growth and maturation. I find many of his decisions (or lack thereof) inexplicable.

I have arrived at the conclusion that Steele is neither a good coach (game planning, player development, in-game decisions) nor a great recruiter. He fills open slots but has not shown himself to be an outstanding recruiter. That is not to say that I don't appreciate this year's freshman. I think they are good but not outstanding (I love Odom) and not substantially better than many other first year B.E. players. Next year's class is, to me, underwhelming. I hope I have misjudged them. Steele has relied on transfers. Initially, that was understandable. And, I think there is a role for transfers, especially going forward. But, they must be integrated into the overall scheme and Steele has shown neither the vision to create such a scheme nor the ability to develop and blend-in talent. I look at next year's nucleus and see no big men. We were repeatedly crushed inside this year----it was a glaring weakness. And, still, Steele failed to recruit what we most need.

I've said all this previously. I wish I had some new slant. For those of us that have run businesses, especially in the corporate world, one the requirements for many of us was that we develop our successor. It takes a real investment to do that. When Mack left, I thought what better successor than someone who has waited twelve years offstage watching and learning from three (I think) different coaches. What better apprenticeship, right? Now, after three years, I'm not sure Steele learned anything and I don't know whether that shortfall is his to own or whether it reflects on his bosses. I am at a loss as to how we ended up where, today, we are. I am also, clearly, very frustrated.
JTG

Postby JTG » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:17 pm

I've mentioned the lack of knowledge of the Assistants. They're nothing but salesmen. No tactician, no seasoned teacher, no wise old owl, like Martelli. He just hired his recruiting buddies. Since Steele seems to want to be Mr Nice Guy, he needs to hire a hard ass to whip these guys into shape. I was listening to sports talk in Indy this am, and if I didn't know they were talking about Archie Miller and IU, I would have sworn they were talking about Steele. The problems are almost identical. Coaching, inside play, outside shooting and free throws. Steele needs a coach for the bigs, a tactician, and get rid of Graves, and find a former coach who's seen it all.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:00 pm

JTG wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:17 pm
I've mentioned the lack of knowledge of the Assistants. They're nothing but salesmen. No tactician, no seasoned teacher, no wise old owl, like Martelli. He just hired his recruiting buddies. Since Steele seems to want to be Mr Nice Guy, he needs to hire a hard ass to whip these guys into shape. I was listening to sports talk in Indy this am, and if I didn't know they were talking about Archie Miller and IU, I would have sworn they were talking about Steele. The problems are almost identical. Coaching, inside play, outside shooting and free throws. Steele needs a coach for the bigs, a tactician, and get rid of Graves, and find a former coach who's seen it all.
Graves is unimpressive and he didn't give Travis the same support as Travis gave Mack as an assistant. South Alabama during his tenure didn't impress anyone. If you learn more from losses than his .400 winning record would mean he would bring great experience but reality tells you he doesn't have it. I'd say there are at least two or three assistants that should be let go or reassigned including looking at our strength coach
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:57 pm

So no one can accuse me of jumping on the anti-Steele bandwagon after 3 down years. I first cautioned about this hire on a post March 29, 2018, which was before he was hired. People said I was nuts, because the next man up philosophy had worked well in the past. I was quick to point out that the next man up worked well when we were in the MCC and A-10 where you got very few resumes and you were in a league where you could grow into the job. I said we needed an experienced successful head coach. The Big East is big boy territory. You don't have time to grow into the job or you'll get your lunch handed to you.

Here are 7 names that could probably turn this program around. Please don't bombard me with reasons why they would or would not be a good fit. I'm only throwing them out there as food for thought.

Jeff Boals
Mark Schmidt
Porter Moser
Rick Pitino
Preston Spradin
Gregg Marshall
Phil Martelli

I can't say for certain, but most of them would probably love to coach in the Big East.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:51 am

xavier 71 some of us don't know who all these guys are. I know some of course. A little background on each please?
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:47 am

Greg Marshall comes with big time baggage. Even if X wanted him, the board wouldn't approve. The Shockers are in the tournament without him so not sure what that says. Martelli's best role is the one he has currently. Moser has capably coached Loyola. Don't know enough about Moser's ability to turn a program that seems to be heading south quickly. Others are new names to me. If they possess high level experience (like the others) that, I think, is only one criterion, although an important one. I concur with your overall point.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”