Coaching Options

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
JTG

Re: Coaching Options

Postby JTG » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:44 am

I think Steele would be fine had he picked a better staff. He has no one to bounce things off of. The entire staff are strictly recruiters. People might laugh, but I'd grab Gaudio and Murray. Gaudio has seen it all clear back to the Gillen days, in various different conferences.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:10 am

jtg, agree.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:20 am

No offense MM, but comparing the situation to Baylor and Xavier could be the most ridiculous argument ever. Baylor almost lost their program due to a murder cover up. You really do love Steele or just like arguing with people.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:20 am
No offense MM, but comparing the situation to Baylor and Xavier could be the most ridiculous argument ever. Baylor almost lost their program due to a murder cover up. You really do love Steele or just like arguing with people.
I guess as usual you miss the point. Maybe this one could help... coaches for Baylor and Houston did not make the NCAA in their first three years, yet you admit that Travis was left with a lost season after your beloved Mack left.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:54 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 pm
skyhops wrote:
I guess as usual you miss the point. Maybe this one could help... coaches for Baylor and Houston did not make the NCAA in their first three years, yet you admit that Travis was left with a lost season after your beloved Mack left.
At the end of the day, you have to look at the team's improvement and overall development. Next year (other than possibly Scruggs) every player will be a Steele recruit. I realize Johnson got hurt just as Scruggs did last year which should only emphasize the significance of building, developing, and playing your subs bench. Maybe some of the players that didn't play (even thought Steele said they were going to because in his words, they earned it) had reasons for not playing. I don't think you can compare Baylor to Xavier directly given that he was hired in August not to mention sanctions. He had to literally start over. Nor do think you can compare X to Nate Oats or Underwood. I think those are more similar situations but each team has better resources and frankly, can afford to have misses. I do think Travis deserves a 4th year but Steele guy or not, i think its a critical year for him. Fair or unfair, this university's sport identity is all basketball. If they aren't successful, and you lose financial and/or fan support, that is significant. The last thing you want is for X to be one of those teams that are thrilled to get into the tourney. I believe that is the trend of the fanbase right now. I'm pulling for Travis. My biggest issue i have with him is as a player, how do you know where you stand. Players are told (and reported) that they practiced great and will play and don't. Or in Ramsey's case, he has a great spurt vs Butler and doesn't see floor rest of the year (except like 30 seconds at end of one game). Again, i'm not in the huddle (nor is anyone else) so all i can go by are Steele's words and what i see. That is my biggest concern.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:47 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:22 am
Just think if, after the first three years when your team had only won a total of 21 games while losing 53 games if your school gave you one more year and you only went 15-16 finishing 11th in your conference you would have fired, Scott Homer Drew, you would not be in the final four in 2021 leading Baylor.
Refresh my memory. Was X coming off of the death penalty when Steele took over? Did Baylor go to the Elite 8 3x times in the preceding 15 years, and also have teams who were 1 and 2 seeds in two of the three years before Drew took over the reins? Stop comparing apples to papayas. I'm dumber for having read your post.
Last edited by Anti-Homer on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:58 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 pm
skyhops wrote:
Agreed he did an admirable job with the mess Mack left him with. However, he had the talent to get a decent seed in the tourney this year, and finishing in the top 4 in the BE. Escaping 3 probable losses (Nova-2, UConn-1) gave him another huge advantage. His incredibly, perplexing player personnel management and strategic gaffes seen in the Butler (among many others) game epitomized his coaching all year long. The schedule in the first 11 games was very deceiving, aided by a putrid schedule, though X pried victory out of the jaws of defeat by squeaking by some bottom feeders early on. Having the dubious distinction of being named as the most inconsistent program in cbb 2/3 into the season (granted it was only one site, but the record and eye test provided corroboration) was the cherry on top.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:56 pm

It is well established old rock-n-roll folklore rumor that when Pete Townsend first saw Jimi Hendrix play live in a small London club back in 1966, he was completely blown away, calling it a ‘euphoric experience’. Legend has it that he then became so depressed, feeling his music with the Who paled in comparison, that he went back to his studio and smashed his favorite guitar. Coincidently, just heard a rumor that Travis Steele, after taking in the Gonzaga / USC game, went back to his office and burned all his play books…..
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:12 am

BRAVO!
DannyV76

Postby DannyV76 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:29 pm

Rock and Roll!!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”