Another One Gone

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Biggernlife

Another One Gone

Postby Biggernlife » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:40 pm

Looks like CJ Witcher entered the transfer portal. Now that’s three that are gone! Wonder who is staying , which is likely the reason Wilcher is going! Sounds like Scruggs and Griffin may stay reducing time for Wilcher unless Stanley may be in the mix? Who knows at this point? What I do know is there is a ton of uncertainties, which in itself is disheartening. Hope Freemantle stays! Hope all comes out in the wash as they say. What do you all think? ......Biggernlife
Jesseandrippers

Re: Another One Gone

Postby Jesseandrippers » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:37 pm

Biggernlife wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:40 pm
Looks like CJ Witcher entered the transfer portal. Now that’s three that are gone! Wonder who is staying , which is likely the reason Wilcher is going! Sounds like Scruggs and Griffin may stay reducing time for Wilcher unless Stanley may be in the mix? Who knows at this point? What I do know is there is a ton of uncertainties, which in itself is disheartening. Hope Freemantle stays! Hope all comes out in the wash as they say. What do you all think? ......Biggernlife
He is probably gonna leverage his brother’s success to get into a better program.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:08 pm

the portal numbers are crazy now and it is due to the chance to play right now. College basketball is changing and has been changing as each year the portal grows larger and larger. It seems like the players are starting to control things now. If you look at last year's portal many of those transfers never played this year. Look at UC where 6 players transferring, you have to think some of those players think they are better than they are. I hate to see anyone leave X because I think it is a place to grow in more ways than basketball but college basketball life is different today. Watch at the end of the NCAA tourney some of these smaller schools that have one or two good to great players they might be moving for a "brighter future" at BIGGER schools.

The rumor that is good news: Paul Scruggs maybe be back. If that happens Scruggs and Johnson may settle the ship even if Wilcher is a missing piece.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:53 am

Wilcher left because he wasn’t playing enough due to minutes given mainly to Carter at year end. I would rather give minutes to good young players vs Johnson and Scruggs coming back. Why would Scruggs want to sacrifice money in Europe for a 7-8th place BE finish and his typical year end regression?
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:46 am

I hope Steele encourages the seniors to move on. X needs the freshmen and sophomores to start developing if we want to see long term success... Scruggs, Carter and Johnson will just stunt their growth for what maybe an extra win or two next year... Recruit a couple of bigs, lets get ready for next season... Dan
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
True_Blue

Postby True_Blue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:49 am

Gone are the days when Robert Montgomery Knight would leave a feminine hygiene product in a dude's locker as a wake up call.
Those were the good old days.
:mrgreen:
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 am

skyhops wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:53 am
Wilcher left because he wasn’t playing enough due to minutes given mainly to Carter at year end. I would rather give minutes to good young players vs Johnson and Scruggs coming back. Why would Scruggs want to sacrifice money in Europe for a 7-8th place BE finish and his typical year end regression?
mainly because Europe is a complete unknown right now for players to even get there because Covid is actually WORSE there than in the US.

you'd think Carter is most likely gone so i'm not sure why Wilcher would think he's gonna have to compete with him next year but he would be a completely undersized 4. he's more of a 3 and with Johnson coming back, Colby ahead of him, Kunkel ahead of him, and possibly Scruggs coming back, he didn't want to have to compete for minutes next season.

that's the issue. these guys don't want to have to WORK for their PT. they wanna go somewhere where the coach basically says "you're gonna play for us". they don't wanna hear "you're gonna earn your PT". if they hear that, they move on to the next program/coach that will tell them what they want to hear.

happening EVERYWHERE in college hoops right now, and mainly because you can play right away and don't have to sit out.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:42 am

Carter hardly ever practice during the end of season, so not sure he worked had to earn minutes.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:03 pm

Wilcher left because he wanted playing time and Johnson, and Colby are ahead of him on the depth chart. I wish Wilcher good luck. I sure he could have earned 10or more minutes between the 2 and 3 position but he thinks he can't compete at X.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:03 pm
Wilcher left because he wanted playing time and Johnson, and Colby are ahead of him on the depth chart. I wish Wilcher good luck. I sure he could have earned 10or more minutes between the 2 and 3 position but he thinks he can't compete at X.
You truly don't feel that Steele offering transfer wings schollys had anything to do with it? X leads as of now of having the two best players entering the transfer portal. Hope it's over, but he is close to having double-digit transfers in his 3rd yr.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”