Scruggernaught returns

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Scruggernaught returns

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:35 pm

Just announced! i like it. Many on this board may disagree, but good for Paul. Soak in the college exp. Solid player and great leader.
Thanks Paul!!
sweet67

Re: Scruggernaught returns

Postby sweet67 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 pm

Always risky to sign a guy on the wrong side of 30.

Hope it's not a long term deal.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:59 pm

This is great news! Go X!
Nothing negative about this news. Not sure how you even justify that this isnt a good thing.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:43 pm

Been waiting for this. Excellent player and a good young man. Very happy to have him back leading this team. Welcome back, Paul.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:39 am

With 5 players (actually 6 with the highly rated freshman wing they are bringing in from GA) who play the 1-3 position, hopefully Steele will take a page out of Mark Few's playbook. Apparently, when he was recruiting Nembhard, he went to the players whose PT would be affected, and sought their input before offering him a scholly. What a concept! Instead, Steele over recruits at positions not needed, and loses two prized recruits in Tandy and Wilcher, among others. Wilcher even alluded to the fact that, as he claims Steele put in (paraphrasing),"I will not over recruit at your position." Then, after the season ended, he offered a wing in the portal. Playing Carter a lot more in lieu of him, despite his very effective play as the year progressed, couldn't have helped either. This AAU culture needs to end now. It certainly ain't working for him.

He needs to delete Franklin, and other like players he is chasing in this class before guys like Jones and Odom leave. Start getting back to building teams via high school recruits with an occasional transfer (need a true post player since he ran off Ramsey and Griffin), as opposed to making it a staple of building his program. Year four HAS to result in a tourney run, to stop the accelerating slide into irrelevancy of this program. Steele is the biggest benefactor of the program across town whose program is in tatters.
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:15 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:39 am
...(need a true post player since he ran off Ramsey and Griffin)
I haven't seen anywhere where Brian Griffin has left or entered the portal... Dan
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:34 pm

Griffin announced he is not playing another year at xavier can’t blame he since he got hosed on PT
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:08 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:34 pm
Griffin announced he is not playing another year at xavier can’t blame he since he got hosed on PT
he wants to get on with his life and make some money. Not like he wanted to transfer and entered the portal. Lots of Senior do that sky
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:12 pm

He did get hosed on playing time, but I can understand if he wants to go overseas and make some money especially if he graduated. Why is Scruggs coming back? If there is anyone that could play overeas and makes some money it would be Scrugss especially since he almost left two years ago to play professionally. Hopefully, he decision to come back will not effect Odom's playing time. I would take Tandy and Wilcher back instead of Scruggs and Johnson, but Steele has not been able to develop talent and tends to lean on older players, which hasn't worked out lately.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 pm

muskieman wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:08 pm
skyhops wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:34 pm
he wants to get on with his life and make some money. Not like he wanted to transfer and entered the portal. Lots of Senior do that sky
Yea,

I'm sure playing 10 minutes a game even when he was playing very effectively had nothing to do with it.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”