2021-22, impossible to figure what X will do?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: 2021-22, impossible to figure what X will do?

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:19 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:15 am
What transfer is coming in to score 10 and 7? The player development or lack there of is pretty well known among those in the program especially making bigs. I’m not sure how much better Scruggs is especially if you look at his end of the year stats the last few years. They have not been good.
I agree with longliveskip.
I know you(skyhops) and your buddy like Tandy, so did I, but replacing all the players moving on may not be as hard as you think. Tandy in the official stats 18 games he played in averaged 14.7 minutes and 6.6 pts.

Carter in the 21 games he played averaged 26.6 minutes 5.5 points and 6 rebounds and you hated that.

Ramsey cannot be included because he played one game for 4 minutes

Griffin played 18 games averaged 11 minutes with averages of 3.9 points and 3.9rebounds

and Wilcher 14 games average 9.4 minutes 3.3 pts/average and .7 rebounds.

While I wish CJ and Griffin would have stayed and even Kyky (who I think will look back on it and find he made a mistake)
I think it is hardly a problem with the scoring and rebounds with Ben Stanley, Caesar, Miles, and maybe a transfer could make up Carter's, Griffins, and Ramsey's points and rebounds without any having breakout years. After all Ben average 6 points and based on the big men players leaving their 9.4 points (not including Ramsey's) Stanley's 6 rebounds in more games makes up a large amount. (Remember Stanley was hardly in playing condition and with practice in pre-season and a cautious start to the season he could put up some really nice numbers based on his past season With Carter's minutes available more players can get a few more minutes each and if you use the points per minutes for Carter and Griffin. It is a lot easier to see an upgrade.

As for Kyky and CJ 9.3 points are not like they could not be spread out easily between Nate, Scruggs, Kunkel, Odom, and newcomer Tucker.

I think some here forget how they harangued Carter throughout the season and now WHERE WILL THOSE POINTS AND REBOUNDS COME FROM? The rebounds might be a problem on average so we will have to see how successful Ben's comeback will be but again Caesar and Miles bigger 6'10 and 6'11' are in the mix and I believe the coaches are looking for to 2-3 more player to fill in. Get another Big man, a forward and guard

As for rankings, Colby was a three-star and Wilcher was a four-star on paper and we saw who was better on the hardwood, they do play on the hardwood, don't they?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm

Miles redshirted last year and this year was a freebie. To me that appears to give him four more years. He will be 23 when his eligibility is gone. Since he enrolled at 17, he will have a lot stronger body when he leaves. Hope he sticks around.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 pm

Lead Guitar wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm
Miles redshirted last year and this year was a freebie. To me that appears to give him four more years. He will be 23 when his eligibility is gone. Since he enrolled at 17, he will have a lot stronger body when he leaves. Hope he sticks around.
we need for him to be interested in getting a master's degree. He was listed in this year's roster as a freshman and Lead said this year was a freebie.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:53 pm

First of all,

My apologies. I misspoke. We don't have four guys who bolted Shawshank led by Coach-Warden Steele. The number is five. I forget about Carter. Another fun fact. My brother listened to a podcast, and apparently Kyky tried to come back, but Steele told him no thanks. Yes, the same Steele who is leading this program into the abyss. Yes the same Steele whose aspirations include having a winning record in league play, and getting a high seed in the NIT. Yes, the same Steele who makes promises to players, then reneges on it when anyone with a pulse enters the portal. Yes, the same Steele who had a 19 point lead against putrid Butler (which is equivalent to an 73 point lead against Baylor), and left 2 of the 3 best shooters on the bench in Wilcher and Kyky, so that we can have the lethal outside threats of Carter and Odom on the floor when Butler packed it in to force X to shoot from the outside. Result? 14 points in 14 minutes in the 2nd half, and a loss to a bottom feeder. Yes, the same Steele who is making it a tradition on victory Pkwy to lose the last three games of the season in consecutive years. Yes, the same Steele whose coaches can't bolt the door quickly enough. Hayes was spotted by Shawshank guards.

Now, X has 9 scholly players. Wonder what Steele's pitch is to recruits? "Come to X, where we had a one and two seed in the previous thee years prior to my coming on board." "Come to X, where what I say has a truth expiration date of 11 minutes." " Come to X, where the winner of duck duck goose goose in practice merits playing time." My biggest fear is for Jones. He had the audacity to make the All Freshmen BE Team. We know how it turned out for the last guy wo did that.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:19 pm

To add to this, Steele went after Saunders from UC, who would have had a hard time beating out Leighton Schrand for PT. I'm sure most teams wuld rather have Saunders over Kyky. You cannot make this stuff up. In addition to his father in law insulating him, Steele is a benefactor of all the coaches in the BE who started a Go Fund Me to pay part of his salary every year, so he is X's coach in perpetuity.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:37 pm
Four years?
Miles redshirted his freshman year so at the beginning of the 2020-2021 season he had four remaining years of eligibility. This year, if he wants, is a freebie. So, technically, he's got four years of eligibility left.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:09 pm

My criticism of Steele is well documented but the transfers and departures are not a major concern.

Tandy is potentially a very good player but he generally showed a lack of understanding of the game in his limited minutes last year. Had no awareness of the length and athleticism of the opposing team.

I doubt Wilcher will prove to be a big loss. Hopefully he has a great career but I saw little to lead me to believe he will be a big time player. Has confidence and will likely contribute somewhere but I can't pick out anything that leads me to believe his departure will have a big impact on Xavier.

Losing Griffin sucks. He was never going to be a star but he can rebound and get buckets on the block. His defense is ok and has upside potential. This departure does feel like a coaching fail as Griffin deserved more minutes given the lack of production by the bigs.

The departures feel more like an opportunity than a loss. My concern remains with the inability of Travis to make adjustments, utilize the talent he has and execute a winning game plan.

Regarding player development, Marshall regressed. He was drafted because of his athleticism. Not because he played at a high level. He was completely inefficient making terrible decisions with the basketball. He had company in poor decision making which is part of the reason many believe Travis can't develop players. I'd also suggest Jones didn't develop as much as some think. He never developed a shot. Was always a force on the glass. He improved his fitness and did better avoiding foul trouble.

There is plenty of returning talent for X to be good next year. Someone will need to step-up and create more production at the 4/5 than what we had last year. X will need more consistent shooting and much better defense.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:02 am

I also heard the podcast where Tandy asked to come back and Steele said no. I don’t get it
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 am

The NCAA has many criteria for selecting teams to March Madness. One key selection point is how did a team finish their year....end of the season and conference tournament play. Xavier gets an F for the past 2 years on how they finished each year . What was also a killing blow is that Xavier lost to much weaker teams within the BE in the BE tournament. Kind of the kiss of death to being not selected. Steele has the whole year to get a team ready to finish strong and they basically flopped.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:20 am

Xavier2005 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 am
The NCAA has many criteria for selecting teams to March Madness. One key selection point is how did a team finish their year....end of the season and conference tournament play. Xavier gets an F for the past 2 years on how they finished each year . What was also a killing blow is that Xavier lost to much weaker teams within the BE in the BE tournament. Kind of the kiss of death to being not selected. Steele has the whole year to get a team ready to finish strong and they basically flopped.
can confirm, at least from reading most college basketball writers this past season and last (even though there was no tourney last year), that the "how you finished the season" or the "last 5-10 games" part is not being used anymore as a factor for the NCAA selection committee.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”