Question for our medical people on the board.

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23716
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby muskieman » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:56 pm

In the past ACLs took longer than 12 months of recovery and rehab, is that still the case???
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops
Posts: 2963
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby skyhops » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:02 pm

Good question.
yellow20xd
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:41 am
Contact:

Re: Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby yellow20xd » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am

Joe Burrows expects to be back 9 months after his knee surgery so it appears they've shaved a little time off of the recovery time... Dan

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proced ... r%20sports.
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23716
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby muskieman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:02 pm

yellow20xd wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am
Joe Burrows expects to be back 9 months after his knee surgery so it appears they've shaved a little time off of the recovery time... Dan

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proced ... r%20sports.
I hope Burrow and Ben have similar medical success and the corresponding weight coaches help the process
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Jesseandrippers
Posts: 807
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:31 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:02 pm
yellow20xd wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am
Joe Burrows expects to be back 9 months after his knee surgery so it appears they've shaved a little time off of the recovery time... Dan

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proced ... r%20sports.
I hope Burrow and Ben have similar medical success and the corresponding weight coaches help the process
They have not innovated the surgery itself but the PT and recovery process has changed a fair amount the past 10 years. 9-12 months is the new standard for a high performing athlete with a “normal” tear with moderate meniscus or articular ligament damage. The nature of the rupture, the quality of the tissue used, clotting and many other factors play into recovery time.
edgecliff hall
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:18 am
Contact:

Re: Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby edgecliff hall » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:42 am

Jesseandrippers, thanks for your educated comments on this very important subject. I deeply respect all these young men and women who put their bodies on the line playing hard team sports. Knees take a beating. And speaking of knees and ankles, I want to thank Mr. Carter for your years on Xavier's team. It was clear how you went all-out for Xavier. I wish you every success for your return to Ohio, and in life beyond basketball. You will always be a Musketeer.
finalfourorbust
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:41 am
Contact:

Re: Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby finalfourorbust » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:24 am

yellow20xd wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am
Joe Burrows expects to be back 9 months after his knee surgery so it appears they've shaved a little time off of the recovery time... Dan

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proced ... r%20sports.
I would think that it would be much more difficult for a basketball player to do it than a QB.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23716
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby muskieman » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:17 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:31 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:02 pm
yellow20xd wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am
Joe Burrows expects to be back 9 months after his knee surgery so it appears they've shaved a little time off of the recovery time... Dan

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proced ... r%20sports.
I hope Burrow and Ben have similar medical success and the corresponding weight coaches help the process
They have not innovated the surgery itself but the PT and recovery process has changed a fair amount the past 10 years. 9-12 months is the new standard for a high performing athlete with a “normal” tear with moderate meniscus or articular ligament damage. The nature of the rupture, the quality of the tissue used, clotting and many other factors play into recovery time.
I remember they use to open up the knee (john Shinners and a few friends I played ball with) and now they use arthroscopic surgery which has to be more innovative. I am sure PT has also been improved and now they start you working on your recovery quicker. My guess is it all has to do with how much pain you can stand and how quick a healer a person normally is but I am sure the nature and extent of the rupture all come into play. Sounds like you know something about this and you tell by just watching how Ben tore up the knee how bad it could be. It seems that at the time it was a knocked knee and nothing articulated to an extreme but what do I know which is why I am asking.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
thecoach
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby thecoach » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pm

Much has to do with the individual. Some folks are injury prone and hopefully this is not his case. My guess is he starts slow and works his way up to minutes. One of the bigger issues is not favoring things so as to create other injuries. Everyone is different recovery wise.
Jesseandrippers
Posts: 807
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Question for our medical people on the board.

Postby Jesseandrippers » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:53 am

muskieman wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:17 pm
Jesseandrippers wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:31 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:02 pm


I hope Burrow and Ben have similar medical success and the corresponding weight coaches help the process
They have not innovated the surgery itself but the PT and recovery process has changed a fair amount the past 10 years. 9-12 months is the new standard for a high performing athlete with a “normal” tear with moderate meniscus or articular ligament damage. The nature of the rupture, the quality of the tissue used, clotting and many other factors play into recovery time.
I remember they use to open up the knee (john Shinners and a few friends I played ball with) and now they use arthroscopic surgery which has to be more innovative. I am sure PT has also been improved and now they start you working on your recovery quicker. My guess is it all has to do with how much pain you can stand and how quick a healer a person normally is but I am sure the nature and extent of the rupture all come into play. Sounds like you know something about this and you tell by just watching how Ben tore up the knee how bad it could be. It seems that at the time it was a knocked knee and nothing articulated to an extreme but what do I know which is why I am asking.
They have been using arthroscopy since the mid 80’s for ACL surgery. Even this just enables the PT process to start much sooner and at a critical time when the new rubberband needs to grow but remain tight in the space.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests