2021 Preseason NIT

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

2021 Preseason NIT

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:14 pm

The field-top teams- for the 2021 Preseason NIT was tweeted out Jon Rothstein. They feature:

X, Memphis, Va Tech, and Iowa State. Did any make the tourney this year outside of VA Tech? Did Iowa State win more than four games this year, and they are listed as one of the upper echelon teams? When was the last time X played in a good early season tourney? They have a veteran-laden team, with their best players back. We saw how playing a cupcake schedule hurt them this year. They folded like a paper folding chair when sat upon by Muskieman after his weekly hot dog eating contest.

Mario used to put together stellar schedules. Is he being influenced to alter his scheduling philosophy? Enquiring minds want to know.
X-Expert

Re: 2021 Preseason NIT

Postby X-Expert » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Not sure if related but surprised X wouldn't be asked not to join since X turned them down this year.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:29 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:14 pm
The field-top teams- for the 2021 Preseason NIT was tweeted out Jon Rothstein. They feature:

X, Memphis, Va Tech, and Iowa State. Did any make the tourney this year outside of VA Tech? Did Iowa State win more than four games this year, and they are listed as one of the upper echelon teams? When was the last time X played in a good early season tourney? They have a veteran-laden team, with their best players back. We saw how playing a cupcake schedule hurt them this year. They folded like a paper folding chair when sat upon by Muskieman after his weekly hot dog eating contest.

Mario used to put together stellar schedules. Is he being influenced to alter his scheduling philosophy? Enquiring minds want to know.
many highly recognized players in the hot dog eating contest but JOEY CHESTNUT beats them all. after AH bragged he could take anyone he embarrassed himself failing in his first year which was why he was not asked back and is why he holds so much animus towards yours truly. We tried to help him by putting him up against Miki Sudo and Sonya Thomas and even though they spotted him 10 hot dogs he lost by double digits.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:23 am

let's assume schedule goes back to normal next year, which i think is 31 games (20 BE and 11 non-conf)

here's what we have:

Shootout (home)
BE-Big 12 Challenge (road game?)
Gavitt Game (road game?)
Wake (home, i think)
2 of the 3 - Memph, V Tech, Iowa State

that leaves 5 games to schedule. maybe 2 of those are against smaller schools as part of the pre-season NIT? not sure.

either way, we aren't facing a bunch of top 10 teams but we certainly aren't facing cupcakes either. need a couple "buy" games at home, anyway.

i think the schedule looks just fine.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:42 am

seriously??? you expect people to get excited over the NIT???
X-man

Postby X-man » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:14 pm

They played in Maui in 2018, I believe, which was Steele's first year as HC. Of course that means that they scheduled it when Mack was HC.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:39 pm

X'2005, riddle me this, who these days gets "excited" to be facing X..? Before we pooh-pooh being invited to a pre-season NIT, replete with decent but not marque names, I think we should make a few dances ourselves. (and maybe even advance a game or two)
just say'in...
Musketeer1

Postby Musketeer1 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:06 pm

I like it. I would not have said so four years ago, but It is good to deal with things as they are, rather than as we wish them to be. The reputation (and performance) of the team has taken a dive under Steele. I think winning an early season tourney like this (which they ought do) is far better than getting shellacked while wearing a floral shirt half a world away. The objective should be to establish a rotation and build confidence.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:12 pm

Musketeer1, are you able to gives us a hint of your ID?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”