New UC basketball coach

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
thecoach

Re: New UC basketball coach

Postby thecoach » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:46 pm

I was hoping Steele would look at adding Mike Roberts the long time assistant with Miller who was at IU the past couple years as he's pretty well regarded player development wise and is an Iu and Indiana native. He got reassigned when Archie left to working with Matta. If twiitter is right he'll be the UC associate coach. I'm betting some IU guys may join him. Logical move.
Last edited by thecoach on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 am

muskieman wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm
WXIX reporting UC to name UNC Greensboro’s Wes Miller as next men’s head basketball coach
Seems like a very solid choice, but Brannen had a very good record at a lowly, mid-major also. I give UC's AD credit for not hiring a "recruiter" type choice, like Penny H and ..........others. WM is known as a very solid X/O guy.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:18 am

muskieman wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:13 pm
Miller today

When I walked in here for the first time, I thought about this place being full when we play that other school,” Miller said of the Crosstown Shootout. “We want to kick Xavier’s behind.”

already Xavier is living free in his head
What would you expect him to say? He only knew about this rivalry casually, so was obviously coached by Cunningham to mention this in his opening remarks to endear him to the UC faithful. It's actually a very telling commentary on how sensitive UC is about getting owned by X routinely over two-plus decades. One would think WM would talk about beating Houston, or.....no one else worth mentioning in their middling league. I would think a new coach at X would mention Nova, Creighton, or another high major team, not a mid-major who views X as a top-three game on their schedule.

My mentor Mman was right. X is living in UC's administration and BOT's heads. Pretty soon, WM will be wearing the scarlet, rather blue letter around town.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:21 am

longliveskip wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 am
this is a good hire.

of course, i also thought Brannen was a good hire so what do i know.

i'm sure some alumni/etc are still going to be pissed that this wasn't a "UC" guy but whatever.

he should be able to get UC winning in the AAC and consistently in the tourney like Mick did.
As usual,

LLS and I align in our thinking.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:06 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:18 am
.....was obviously coached by Cunningham to mention this in his opening remarks to endear him to the UC faithful.

Actually, he didn’t make any mention of the rivalry in his statement. He was ASKED about it by the Enquirer beat writer in the open Q and A session AFTER he had made his opening remarks. On a plus side, he did pronounce Xavier correctly and claimed to have great respect for X and for Steele.
#WHYNOTX?
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:18 am

kyzrex wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:06 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
.....was obviously coached by Cunningham to mention this in his opening remarks to endear him to the UC faithful.

Actually, he didn’t make any mention of the rivalry in his statement. He was ASKED about it by the Enquirer beat writer in the open Q and A session AFTER he had made his opening remarks. On a plus side, he did pronounce Xavier correctly and claimed to have great respect for X and for Steele.
agreed. if you're a college basketball coach, you KNOW about the Xavier-UC rivalry. if you're applying to be the head coach at UC, you KNOW about the rivalry. you don't need "coached" by the AD on it.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:58 pm

My memory is Ken Miller(Wes's dad) had a role in bringing Skip Prosser to Wake. I think they probably know quite a bit about bball in this area. Ken Miller is very wealthy, and I believe his name is on their new arena wealthy. Miller's business interests also are not dissimilar to some big UC donors which may or not be coincidence. My guess is Wes Miller probably wanted to stay clear of the ACC given his families conflict between UNC and Wake, and also that he played a pretty big role on their national championship team. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to coach in the same place they played, particularly if you won a nati. Lot of pressure. Wake had interest in hiring him a couple years back, but coaching in an arena your family name is on would be a stretch, not to mention you have to face Duke and UNC regularly. Miller a sharp guy. If they went another direction from Steele, he's definitely somebody they would have wanted to talk to. He's the rare guy in this business that can kind of pick and choose what he wants to do. I would not be surprised at all if alumni on both ends had some dealings in landing him.Not to many college coaches probably do not need the salary fwiw. LOL
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:08 am

kyzrex wrote:
Anti-Homer wrote:

Even if umpromted , there is absolutely nothing wrong with what Miller said.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:08 am
kyzrex wrote:
Anti-Homer wrote:

You’re correct that there was nothing wrong with what he said. Would anyone really expect him to say that X owns UC and that will continue under his leadership? Of course he says that he plans on beating X! He’d be fired on the spot if he said anything else in response to the question.

You’re incorrect in saying “was obviously coached by Cunningham to mention this in his opening remarks”. Easy assumption to make if one doesn’t take the time to actually listen to the presser.
#WHYNOTX?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:15 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:08 am
kyzrex wrote:

You’re correct that there was nothing wrong with what he said. Would anyone really expect him to say that X owns UC and that will continue under his leadership? Of course he says that he plans on beating X! He’d be fired on the spot if he said anything else in response to the question.

You’re incorrect in saying “was obviously coached by Cunningham to mention this in his opening remarks”. Easy assumption to make if one doesn’t take the time to actually listen to the presser.
as a fan of any school wouldn't you rather hear your new coach say I plan on leading the team to the National Championship and win it. That is basically what Drew said when he took over Baylor... not let's beat Texas
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”