"Rivals" ranks recruiting classes for 2021 and 2022, so far. and Xavier ranks....

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

"Rivals" ranks recruiting classes for 2021 and 2022, so far. and Xavier ranks....

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:26 pm

"RIVALS" has ranked the top 80 to 100 University men's basketball recruiting classes for 2021 and 2022....posted on the internet. Xavier is not listed at all for either year.
kyzrex

Re: "Rivals" ranks recruiting classes for 2021 and 2022, so far. and Xavier ranks....

Postby kyzrex » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:48 pm

Wel so far they have 0 commitments for 2022.

They have 2 for 2021 and 24/7 has them at 51st. The more recruits a team brings in the higher they are normally ranked.

But HS recurring rankings are going to mean les and less going forward. Consider that Xavier also brought in Nunge as a transfer this year, so add him to the mix.
#WHYNOTX?
longliveskip

Re: "Rivals" ranks recruiting classes for 2021 and 2022, so far. and Xavier ranks....

Postby longliveskip » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 am

the portal is definitely going to and SHOULD change recruiting class rankings. if you only sign 2 frosh, that's fine if you also brought in two solid transfers. not same year, i get it, but still. there's no need for coaches to have to go find 4-5 frosh to fill a roster if they lose 4-5 guys to graduation/nba/portal.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am

We can do better
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:08 am

Yeah, team rankings for recruiting classes are moot this year. Besides the fact that it is always teams like UK that bring in 4-6 ESPN100 every year to replace the one-and-dones, a lot of really good teams get most of their talent from transfers, and this year a lot of high school seniors are not going to get recruited at all because of the extra year of eligibility due to covid.

Considering the rate of transfer this year, I would rather go for a solid upperclassman or graduate transfer to fill a role for one or two years.
Let's March!
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:22 pm

tacitus wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:08 am
Yeah, team rankings for recruiting classes are moot this year. Besides the fact that it is always teams like UK that bring in 4-6 ESPN100 every year to replace the one-and-dones, a lot of really good teams get most of their talent from transfers, and this year a lot of high school seniors are not going to get recruited at all because of the extra year of eligibility due to covid.

Considering the rate of transfer this year, I would rather go for a solid upperclassman or graduate transfer to fill a role for one or two years.

From what I read in the paper today, the scholarships of Scruggs and Johnson do not count against the limit of 13. Thus X has 3 OPEN scholarships, even after bringing in 2 recruits and 1 transfer. I would guess that many other schools are in a similar situation where they already have a pretty full roster and don't want to have people just sitting around. Probably means more players gong the JUCO or Prep school route for a year.

Keep in mind also that many of these players have only been seen on tape and therefore coaches might be hesitant to offer them a scholarship before they have a chance to watch them in person.
#WHYNOTX?
profson

Postby profson » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 pm

This is a silly thread.
2022 has far too few commits at this point.
2021 reveals the limitation of the Rivals ranking system. As noted by a poster above the rankings cumulate the points of each recruit, so there is a huge advantage for teams that bring in big classes.
Thus Michigan is #1, and although they in fact killed it, the ranking is highly dependent on having 6 recruits to fill the roster. Gonzaga, which just got the #1 player and other studs, clearly had the best group, but they only have 4 recruits.
Xavier, with a full roster, only recruited 2, which has no chance of being high in these rankings. Indeed Oregon is the highest ranked with 1 or 2 recruits and they are #29, including a 5 star and a 4 star.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:34 pm

X has a better team "on paper" this coming year than last. Jack Nunge is a legitimate post player who can guard true fives. He scores well in the low post as well, much like Griffin, though we only saw this too sparingly, as he only played 10 min a game. Hopefully, Steele doesn't allow him to shoot threes from any area on the court at any time, as he has with every other player in his three years. Otherwise, it will essentially add five more turnovers and more runouts for the opponent as we witnessed in his first three years.

No one has X near their top 25 despite being solidly in there pre-season last year, and again, having better personnel coming into 21 -22.' Is this an indictment of Steele?
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:01 pm

Just exactly how does Xavier have “better” personal than last year? Seems to me that they have just about the SAME personal as last year. Is Nunge better than Carter? Possibly, but he was still just a backup at Iowa. Carter was an All-MAC player coming in and was expected to return to that level of play in his 2nd year at X. But he didn’t. How Nunge will do is only a guess. Will the freshman add anything? Possibly, but they are still almost total unknowns. They lost Whilcher and Johnson is coming off of major knee surgery. I don’t really see how they can be considered much better than they were last year at this point. I can understand why nobody has them ranked preseason. It’s no indictment of the coach, it’s an indictment of the roster.

It also doesn’t mean crap at this point. Preseason rankings are almost totally worthless. They mean nothing, prove nothing, and only serve for message boards fodder. In the old days we would say that they weren’t worth the paper they were written on.
#WHYNOTX?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:36 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:01 pm
Just exactly how does Xavier have “better” personal than last year? Seems to me that they have just about the SAME personal as last year. Is Nunge better than Carter? Possibly, but he was still just a backup at Iowa. Carter was an All-MAC player coming in and was expected to return to that level of play in his 2nd year at X. But he didn’t. How Nunge will do is only a guess. Will the freshman add anything? Possibly, but they are still almost total unknowns. They lost Whilcher and Johnson is coming off of major knee surgery. I don’t really see how they can be considered much better than they were last year at this point. I can understand why nobody has them ranked preseason. It’s no indictment of the coach, it’s an indictment of the roster.

It also doesn’t mean crap at this point. Preseason rankings are almost totally worthless. They mean nothing, prove nothing, and only serve for message boards fodder. In the old days we would say that they weren’t worth the paper they were written on.
Back up to the POY in college basketball. He may not be the difference maker but his length is so much better than Carter's and his 6'11" 245 lbs frame is a better body banging on the inside. Let's give him a chance
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”