Almost every College year in sports will be an unknown UNTIL

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

Almost every College year in sports will be an unknown UNTIL

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:51 am

College basketball and football have become a total unknown for the future until they actually play the games. Because with the "portal" transfers and many other factors the best teams and or schools may get the better players and thus change drastically every year. Also some mid majors may get some great players and become the better teams. Team Chemistry will change drastically among many teams thus making them much better or maybe much worse. One example....UCLA came out of no where, a play in team. There will be more so called upsets during a season and in the play offs for National Champions.
yellow20xd

Re: Almost every College year in sports will be an unknown UNTIL

Postby yellow20xd » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:33 pm

This Transfer Portal thing won't continue on into the future. The Power 5 schools won't allow it to continue much longer. Too much money involved. Hell Kansas just gave Self a lifetime contract $5,4000,000+ a year deal plus perks. You think they'd keep him around if he goes 21-9 and has 5 players enter the transfer portal every years? The Power 5 want stability and a steady income stream... What we have now is bedlam... Dan
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 pm

IMO we in for a few years of uncertainty, but before long the good coaches will figure out how the system works and how to make it work for them. We have seen professional sports figure out how to deal with free agency. The best coaches and organizations have figured it out and are excelling. The bad ones haven’t figured it out and fail consistently year after year. It will work the same way in college football and basketball. The other college sports have been dealing with for some time now, and the programs that were strong before it came about are still strong today.
#WHYNOTX?
basket

Postby basket » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 am

Isn't the transfer portal alot like free agency in baseball when it first came out in the 60's? Didn't alot of white men during this time complian that FA would ruin the game? Well it didn't! PLEASE dont get me wrong I am NOT old enough to remember baseball during "THOSE" times but I love the game! I dont think FA ruins baseball!! So to say that the "transfer portal" will and or IS ruining the game just isn't right. ALL will be ok!!!
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 am

basket wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 am
Isn't the transfer portal alot like free agency in baseball when it first came out in the 60's? Didn't alot of white men during this time complian that FA would ruin the game? Well it didn't! PLEASE dont get me wrong I am NOT old enough to remember baseball during "THOSE" times but I love the game! I dont think FA ruins baseball!! So to say that the "transfer portal" will and or IS ruining the game just isn't right. ALL will be ok!!!
EVERYONE was worried about how free agency would change things.....which it has. Some say for the better, others still don’t like it.

I will say this though...before the time when free agency came into being Baseball was considered the “National Pass Time”, no other sport was even close. Baseball has certainly lost some of its overall appeal over the last 40-50 years and is not as popular today as it was back then. Did Free Agency cause that?.....I’d so No. But it probably has had SOME effect on its losing popularity since then. Before FA, there was certainly some sense that the players were a part of “our” team and members of “our” city. Part of that was because we watched the players come up as rookies and in many cases they were part of the team for 10-15 years. We didn’t have to learn about new players every year because we had the same players every year. That’s something that baseball today is missing IMO. And I love Baseball, I watch every game. So I’m not saying any of this as an anti-baseball person. I’m afraid that college BB might be effects the same way. But I am still in favor of allowing players to transfer without sitting out 1X during their college career.
#WHYNOTX?
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:22 pm

In the 50’s and early 60’s, the players were so loyal and the lineups so predictable fans were provided pre-printed lineup cards to keep score.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:20 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 am
basket wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 am
EVERYONE was worried about how free agency would change things.....which it has. Some say for the better, others still don’t like it.

I will say this though...before the time when free agency came into being Baseball was considered the “National Pass Time”, no other sport was even close. Baseball has certainly lost some of its overall appeal over the last 40-50 years and is not as popular today as it was back then. Did Free Agency cause that?.....I’d so No. But it probably has had SOME effect on its losing popularity since then. Before FA, there was certainly some sense that the players were a part of “our” team and members of “our” city. Part of that was because we watched the players come up as rookies and in many cases they were part of the team for 10-15 years. We didn’t have to learn about new players every year because we had the same players every year. That’s something that baseball today is missing IMO. And I love Baseball, I watch every game. So I’m not saying any of this as an anti-baseball person. I’m afraid that college BB might be effects the same way. But I am still in favor of allowing players to transfer without sitting out 1X during their college career.
it into a workable
The problem will be 1 year will turn into two and so on and so on. Whether the FA is good or not will be seen in the ensuing years and there will be a good and bad side of the report. As a fan, I hope it doesn't go crazy but experience says when the slope gets slippy it is hard to climb it and the results mean you end up at the bottom. Football and baseball have had FA but they have negotiated it into something more workable than complete FA, I hope College sports can do the same but then how do you negotiate when one party doesn't have a single leader?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:23 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:51 am
College basketball and football have become a total unknown for the future until they actually play the games. Because with the "portal" transfers and many other factors the best teams and or schools may get the better players and thus change drastically every year. Also some mid majors may get some great players and become the better teams. Team Chemistry will change drastically among many teams thus making them much better or maybe much worse. One example....UCLA came out of no where, a play in team. There will be more so called upsets during a season and in the play offs for National Champions.
There will be more so called upsets during a season and in the play offs for National Champions.
Really? Two 1 seeds, and one 2 seed made it to the FF. Also, UCLA had to beat a number 2 seed to advance. Brackets were much cleaner than most previous years. There will always be uncertainty, but it's no different then not knowing how incoming feshmen will perform, or how role players assimilate to becoming major ones.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”