In case you missed this article

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

In case you missed this article

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:40 am

I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Re: In case you missed this article

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:07 pm

I had forgotten that Carter never practice yet he still played some of the most minutes on the team. I guess that minutes are not really earned in practice as Steele would say about KyKy. Hopefully, we can break the streaks of losing at seasons end.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:07 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:07 pm
I had forgotten that Carter never practice yet he still played some of the most minutes on the team. I guess that minutes are not really earned in practice as Steele would say about KyKy. Hopefully, we can break the streaks of losing at seasons end.

Nerve misses a chance to take a shot, does he folks?
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm

Isn’t it true? Sorry I’m not a Steele jock sniffer
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:46 am

skyhops wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm
Isn’t it true? Sorry I’m not a Steele jock sniffer
No kidding? Who would’ve guessed that?

The point is….and I have little or no hope of understanding here….that becoming a one trick pony can be really annoying to others. It’s kinda like the people that fill up their FB or Twitter feed with nothing but slanted political memes and rarely bring any real original or valuable thought to discussions. Annoying. Here we have an article written with much thought and time put into it, and all that was gotten out of it (based on the comment) was a chance to take another poke at the head coach.

My friend, if you think that the only reason X has not seen the success that you seemingly think they should have seen these last few years is because of the head coach, then your insight into the program is very very limited. There are many more problems than that, and in many ways run much deeper than just one man. No matter what position that one man may have. I thought the BOTP article touched on many things, including the limitations to practice time that Carter endured, that went far beyond what any single person could control. I might also point out that the article points out that the limited playing time that KyKy had was not unjustly decided upon, but was in many ways based upon IN-GAME production and play. He’s simply not that good of a player. Carter may have gotten much more playing time (at a different position than KyKy) than KyKy, even if he wasn’t practicing, but in reality that had no effect on why KyKy was or wasn’t playing. In KyKy’s case there were many other options to go to. In Carter’s there were very few or no other options. Injuries and other problems took away the front court depth and quite simply (based on information presented in the article) Carter HAD to play as there was no one else available much of the time.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:18 pm

After three years of not making the tourney and having end of season meltdowns I really don't know hardly any true fans that are happy with Steele and the way this program is trending. I was on board with the hire since it has worked in the past, but this time it didn't. Steele is over his head and that happens sometimes you miss on a hire. Carter had lost all confidence and should not have been playing more than 15 mins and I doubt Steel even more since he was playing him while he was hurt. See the Butler game. You have have been on me for years, which is no big deal because it sounds like based on your posts I'm pretty sure you haven't played competitive basketball. I have high expectations for Xavier basketball since have been following since the 80's, which is why I have my opinions. I'll stick to my sources and a few others on this board vs the Steele is always right crowd. His father in law will keep him on the bench for another two years.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:34 pm

I'm tired of hearing this guy called "The Father-In-Law" all the time. He's a Xavier guy, like all of us. He's a proud Xavier backer, like some of us. And he has a name. I know I wouldn't like it if my Daughter-In -Law kept calling me "The Father-In-Law." As it is, she calls me Grandpa, which is okay by me.
Anyway, Muskieman, why don't you invite him out for a beer? Get his take on all the Hoo Ha about Mr. Steele. Have a camera crew with you.
And while I'm yapping off, does anybody know anything about our incoming President? I would welcome some chit chat on that subject.
How about it, Mike G. I would also like to know about your plans. I am a friend to you, and everyone who hangs out here.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Sat May 01, 2021 11:57 am

Tend to agree with much of Skyhop's criticisms. Steele has looked overmatched multiple times and the season ending meltdowns the last two years were pitiful coaching displays. Steele hasn't been creative or flexible in use of available talent----and there was plenty of talent on last year's team. And, his communication to the media and fans gives us not a hint of his strategic thinking. So, I wonder if his communication within the team is equally poor.

That said, the team faced a powerful challenge from COVID last season. And, we have to view the return of Scruggs, Johnson and even KyKy as a positive for Steele's leadership. If the Muskies don't improve their play and record considerably next year, then I think Skyhops will be totally vindicated. But, for now, Steele receives my support---despite a great deal of frustration with his performance since assuming his position. Most of us, just like Skyhops, supported his hiring and we all, pretty much, thought he would have to grow into the job. But, I don't see the logic yet, in Kyzrex's unmitigated support. Still, he may yet win the argument. Let's hope he does. Otherwise, next year is going to be difficult to get through.

One thought of Skyhop's (and a few others on this board) that has little merit is the idea that Steele is protected by his father-in-law's board position. That just doesn't occur in large organizations. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that if and when Steele's performance comes before the board, his FIL recuses himself from all discussion. The credibility of the other board members rests on that and you can bet they all know it. Not only does the board know they must be, well, above board, senior members of the administration, the university's legal counsel, everybody likely pays a great deal of attention to avoiding any hint of nepotism.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat May 01, 2021 5:15 pm

Don’t know where you get that I have “unmitigated support”. I am VERY dissatisfied with the teams lack of improvement from beginning to end of season last year, and the prior year. I am not at all sold on Steele as the coach in the future, however I did support his hiring in the beginning.
Last edited by kyzrex on Sun May 02, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#WHYNOTX?
basket

Postby basket » Sun May 02, 2021 6:13 am

In my opinion 2 GREAT posts by edgecliff hall AND kyzrex!! That being said I did read that she was the first lay president in LaSalle University history. Hmmm.........., then later on during her tenure at LaSalle, the university experience financial issues as did she have these same issues at Brescia University College. I do not know this lady from Adam but I'm sure the Board is VERY well aware of these issues upon hiring her and I DO hope the best for her!! A new era at XU begins July1!!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”