NCAA requesting college athletes to make monies starting in 2021

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

NCAA requesting college athletes to make monies starting in 2021

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:58 pm

Articles on the internet as of May 8, 2021 say Emmert is requesting that the NCAA allow college athletes to make monies playing their sport/s thru sponsors and endorsements and other ways.
Jesseandrippers

Re: NCAA requesting college athletes to make monies starting in 2021

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sat May 08, 2021 8:49 pm

Not good for XU
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Sat May 08, 2021 9:25 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:49 pm
Not good for XU
Future events will likely provide more clarity but initially I agree with the thinking of Charles Barkley-----few individual athletes will see material financial benefit. Those few capable of attracting financial support will likely gravitate toward major media markets and will not long remain amateurs. Changes will occur over time and the college game will adjust accordingly.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun May 09, 2021 7:51 am

Heard someone on the radio talking about it and one of the things they pointed out is that it would allow a kid that does a podcast to get a sponsor. It would allow kids to be paid for keeping a daily blog going. I guess it would allow kids to get paid for giving talks or for participation in camp situations as instructors and not just “counselors” too.

The other thing is that it’s going to become state law in 5 states come July of this year. Yet we haven’t seen the schools in those states (Miami, FSU, UF, USC, UCLA) really have an influx of recruits committing to those schools saying that they are doing so because they will be able to make money. Impossible to say what might happen in the future.

Overall I’m not in favor of it and see many potential problems. But it’s coming, nothing is going to change that, so we will have to just learn to live with it.
#WHYNOTX?
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sun May 09, 2021 10:02 am

I think it will create a huge divide in the haves and have nots. This is an easy way for boosters to funnel money to kids and opens up endless loopholes on what qualifies as “value” or “consideration” provided by the student athlete. I wish they would at least hold this money in escrow until they leave the school. This way, they would still be able to earn money but it wouldn't be immediately useful until they left school. They would have to trade their remaining eligibility for access to escrow.

Instead, it will be rolled out in a haphazard manner and we will have years of loophole closing and grievances.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Agree wholeheartedly with the above comments. Trying to resolve the existing cheating and other attendant issues by introducing more money into the system, which will be directed to select athletes, is bound to compound problems.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon May 10, 2021 9:20 pm

I’ll wait until I see the rules dealing with this, but I think there has to be someway for them to control how much someone can be paid for certain services or it will be be like the wild Wild West. On the other hand, how can that be done in a free enterprise system? The more I think about it, the more it scares me that this could be Pandora’s Box.
#WHYNOTX?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”