Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kyzrex

Re: Article from the Cincy Enquirer-Adam Baum

Postby kyzrex » Wed May 19, 2021 7:06 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:48 am
kyzrex wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:18 pm

Now THATS a legitimate point. Complaining about how he said it is just nitpicking.

But they certainly DID have better ball movement last year than the prior year where Naji had the ball in his hands and it was one on one BB most of the time. It wasn’t great last year, but it was better.
Is it nitpicking? Communication is pivotal to leadership at all levels, even more so for coaches.

The players of today tune out coach-speak when they know the coach is over matched on the sideline.
Have there been any complaints about his lack of “communication skills” up until this point? The man has been at X for 12 years now, and this is 1st time I’ve ever head anyone complain about his “coach speak”. ALL coaches use “coach speak” from time to time, especially when talking with the press. There are plenty of HOF coaches that almost never gave the press any solid information and weren’t very open with them.

Jumping on him for a reporter writing that he used the word “gonna” a few times in conversation about the team, during the off-season at that, seems to me to be just something to nit-pic about. I’m pretty sure that if X was coming off of a really good season with a couple of NCAA wins under its belt, nobody would have paid attention to this at all.

To me this is just some people LOOKING for a NEW reason to criticize someone that they already don’t like.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be unhappy with the coaching over the last few years, but this isn’t one of them.
#WHYNOTX?
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Wed May 19, 2021 9:12 am

kyzrex wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:06 am

Have there been any complaints about his lack of “communication skills” up until this point? The man has been at X for 12 years now, and this is 1st time I’ve ever head anyone complain about his “coach speak”. ALL coaches use “coach speak” from time to time, especially when talking with the press. There are plenty of HOF coaches that almost never gave the press any solid information and weren’t very open with them.

Jumping on him for a reporter writing that he used the word “gonna” a few times in conversation about the team, during the off-season at that, seems to me to be just something to nit-pic about. I’m pretty sure that if X was coming off of a really good season with a couple of NCAA wins under its belt, nobody would have paid attention to this at all.

To me this is just some people LOOKING for a NEW reason to criticize someone that they already don’t like.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be unhappy with the coaching over the last few years, but this isn’t one of them.
Fair enough then on taking the position it is nitpicking. We can disagree and adding context could be helpful.

There have been many posts where several of us have pointed out additional weaknesses of Coach Steele, in keeping with your thought about other legitimate reasons to be unhappy.

We all recall how Coach Steele would repeatedly defend his line-ups and substitution pattern based upon earning playing time in practice. Sounded reasonable to any basketball observer and why I supported his rotations on this Board for a long time. Then, we find out over-matched Jason Carter, who played a ton of minutes, was not practicing. Seems that also might be a communication issue.

Heck, if Coach Steele was not interviewed, we would have even less to discuss during this off-season. Go Muskies!
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed May 19, 2021 1:48 pm

ChitownSteve wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:42 am
longliveskip wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 am
what's sad on here is that this thread has basically become a bashing of Steele because of his use of the word "gonna".

that's what some of your Xavier fandom has boiled down to at this point - we are going to rip our coach for using the word "gonna".

it's pathetic. (Not his use of the word, but the complaining of some people on here because of it)
Wow ... an extraordinarily weak reply. Our underachieving Head Coach uses “gonna” five times and “going to” three times in three paragraphs and you want to call me pathetic? X deserves an eloquent Coach, who is strategically superior. Does Coach Steele have either attribute?

Longliveskip, you have been a frequent poster and should know by now I have been a staunch X Coach defender, including for a long time, a Coach Steele supporter. However, should you want to joust about his evident coaching inabilities, along with his obvious linguistic shortcomings, happy to do so. Certain that his teams, which consistently underachieve, lose interest in his redundant incantations as the season progresses.

By the way, both my children went to X. Neither of them, nor their numerous friends, believe Coach Steele should remain as the Head Coach. Both Hops and AH have appropriately note I’ll spin my wheels in calling for his removal at this time.

I stayed away from posting after the initial item, then you got personal.
i'm sorry you took it personally, but nitpicking about Coach Steele's use of the word "gonna" in some quotes in an article IS pathetic. it's simply something else that you think is related to or that causes him to be an inadequate coach so you use it as fodder to feed the same message that most of you have had on here ever since he was hired.

that doesn't mean YOU are pathetic and if you interpreted it that way, then my bad.

I'm not sure how your kids, who went to X and all their friends thinking Steele should not continue as coach is even relevant except that there are other people who think the same way you do. that's fine, i guess.

i, for one, think Coach Steele gets us back to the NCAA Tourney this season. however, I also think, barring any major/multiple injuries on the team this season, if he doesn't get us back to the NCAA, that it's probably time to move on.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed May 19, 2021 5:39 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:10 am
Seeing that Peters spent seven years on Miller's staff at Arizona with the last three years as an assistant coach and four years previously as a graduate manager and assistant director of basketball operations shows he has worked his way up the ladder and is probably a good get by X. He has a good pedigree prior to Arizona. Welcome to X, Dan, and ignore the horse beaters. They have nothing better to do.
I heard Mark Few, Bill Self, and Juwan Howard asked to come to X's practice to see DP's instruction live.

Mman, once again, you've missed the point. This is not a knock against DP. This simply underscores that our HC, a terribly nice guy, always gives soundbites which mirror a wide-eyed AAU coach. His past hyperbolic comments like:

"Deionte Miles is the best shooter on the team," to "Jason Carter gives us a true inside-outside threat we haven't had for a while," adds validity to this opinion.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed May 19, 2021 5:43 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:40 pm
i seem to remember Mack not being that great of a speaker or very articulate when he started out and he seemed to get better at that AND got better at coaching as well. Steele can do both as well.

it's funny how people interpret things differently, because when i read the article and saw "gonna pass the heck outta the ball", i inferred that to mean "we're going to move the ball on offense and be a very unselfish team." you guys took it as coach speak/cliche/used car salesmen stuff.

to each his own, i guess.
i seem to remember Mack not being that great of a speaker or very articulate when he started out and he seemed to get better at that AND got better at coaching as well. Steele can do both as well.
Of course he can, but until that occurs, my ears will continue to bleed after his press conferences. I'm curious. If he came to press conferences wearing a Biggie Small shirt (Mman is selling four on EBay btw) and baggy jeans, would it matter to you, regardless of wins or losses?
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Wed May 19, 2021 7:31 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:48 pm
ChitownSteve wrote:
longliveskip wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 am
what's sad on here is that this thread has basically become a bashing of Steele because of his use of the word "gonna".

that's what some of your Xavier fandom has boiled down to at this point - we are going to rip our coach for using the word "gonna".

it's pathetic. (Not his use of the word, but the complaining of some people on here because of it)
Wow ... an extraordinarily weak reply. Our underachieving Head Coach uses “gonna” five times and “going to” three times in three paragraphs and you want to call me pathetic? X deserves an eloquent Coach, who is strategically superior. Does Coach Steele have either attribute?

Longliveskip, you have been a frequent poster and should know by now I have been a staunch X Coach defender, including for a long time, a Coach Steele supporter. However, should you want to joust about his evident coaching inabilities, along with his obvious linguistic shortcomings, happy to do so. Certain that his teams, which consistently underachieve, lose interest in his redundant incantations as the season progresses.

By the way, both my children went to X. Neither of them, nor their numerous friends, believe Coach Steele should remain as the Head Coach. Both Hops and AH have appropriately note I’ll spin my wheels in calling for his removal at this time.

i'm sorry you took it personally, but nitpicking about Coach Steele's use of the word "gonna" in some quotes in an article IS pathetic. it's simply something else that you think is related to or that causes him to be an inadequate coach so you use it as fodder to feed the same message that most of you have had on here ever since he was hired.

that doesn't mean YOU are pathetic and if you interpreted it that way, then my bad.

I'm not sure how your kids, who went to X and all their friends thinking Steele should not continue as coach is even relevant except that there are other people who think the same way you do. that's fine, i guess.

i, for one, think Coach Steele gets us back to the NCAA Tourney this season. however, I also think, barring any major/multiple injuries on the team this season, if he doesn't get us back to the NCAA, that it's probably time to move on.
We could go back and forth on the “gonna”, which would be pointless, and certain that if we were having a beverage together at Dana’s we would truly enjoy each other’s company.

For the record, those family and friends, along with yours truly, have been supporters of Coach Steele, until this year confirmed the inadequacies of which we had previously gave him the benefit of the doubt. The group is far more informed on College Hoops than most and has not come to position lightly.

Since we are both on this Board to learn and enjoy and it is not my intent to stoke more fires, feel free to express the last word.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Thu May 20, 2021 12:23 am

I like "redundant incantations." I'm gonna steele that.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu May 20, 2021 9:17 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:31 pm
longliveskip wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:48 pm
ChitownSteve wrote:

We could go back and forth on the “gonna”, which would be pointless, and certain that if we were having a beverage together at Dana’s we would truly enjoy each other’s company.

For the record, those family and friends, along with yours truly, have been supporters of Coach Steele, until this year confirmed the inadequacies of which we had previously gave him the benefit of the doubt. The group is far more informed on College Hoops than most and has not come to position lightly.

Since we are both on this Board to learn and enjoy and it is not my intent to stoke more fires, feel free to express the last word.
would be up for this anytime, sir. i'm sure i would enjoy as well.

and i think, based on my last statement, we are somewhat in agreement on Steele. i've supported him as well but my only thing about this past year, after reading the article on BOP, is that i'm not sure ANY coach could have gotten this team back on track after the injuries and the Covid pauses. he was put in an impossible situation with that. 40+ days of the players just sitting around doing nothing and expect to come back hitting on all cylinders like they were to start the season? it wasn't happening and i don't think anyone could have turned them around after all that.

however, as we both have said - he HAS to get it done this season, or it's time to move on.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”