Article from the Cincy Enquirer-Adam Baum

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
ChitownSteve

Re: Article from the Cincy Enquirer-Adam Baum

Postby ChitownSteve » Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 pm

How about this for what we “gonna” agree to.

If Coach Steele fails to make the NCAA tournament this upcoming season, all his defenders on this Board publicly call for his termination or resignation. If X makes the Tournament (no last 4 in and a loss), those of us already wishing for his departure bite our tongues and accept year 5.

Maybe I should not viscerally react to his repeated use of “gonna” throughout the article because he is not a Xavier grad, but a Butler Grad. It is just downright embarrassing for Xavier because it is used car salesman lingo. We are “gonna” give you a good deal .... oops, team.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Fri May 14, 2021 5:41 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 pm
How about this for what we “gonna” agree to.

If Coach Steele fails to make the NCAA tournament this upcoming season, all his defenders on this Board publicly call for his termination or resignation. If X makes the Tournament (no last 4 in and a loss), those of us already wishing for his departure bite our tongues and accept year 5.

Maybe I should not viscerally react to his repeated use of “gonna” throughout the article because he is not a Xavier grad, but a Butler Grad. It is just downright embarrassing for Xavier because it is used car salesman lingo. We are “gonna” give you a good deal .... oops, team.
No. A single tournament appearance, with no wins, does not define success for me with this program. Where have you placed your bar sir?
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Fri May 14, 2021 8:56 am

This has been a real good thread, and congrats to all you smarties who have posted. Just for fun I suggest you look in at XavierHoops, Forum: Men's Basketball. There you will find a subject thread: Steve Stricker. Look in on it and find a post from UCGRAD4X which is funny and true and little bit sad for so many of us. Well expressed UCGRAD4X.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri May 14, 2021 10:32 am

Another solid post from Chitown. MM is not “gonna” like it that you were agreeing with me. I can handle Steele not be articulate if we would make the tourney. “I’m gonna have to talk to my manager before I can accept your offer.”
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 pm

Everyone knows you eat watermelon during halftime... Shows what you know... Dan
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 am

what's sad on here is that this thread has basically become a bashing of Steele because of his use of the word "gonna".

that's what some of your Xavier fandom has boiled down to at this point - we are going to rip our coach for using the word "gonna".

it's pathetic. (Not his use of the word, but the complaining of some people on here because of it)
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 am

Haters gonna hate!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon May 17, 2021 5:21 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 am
what's sad on here is that this thread has basically become a bashing of Steele because of his use of the word "gonna".

that's what some of your Xavier fandom has boiled down to at this point - we are going to rip our coach for using the word "gonna".

it's pathetic. (Not his use of the word, but the complaining of some people on here because of it)
I understand where you are coming from, but do not feel you are interpreting it in proper context. He is probably the most visible ambassador at X. One would like to think the CEO of their flagship program has a command of the English language which exceeds the average 12 year old. he did himself no favors with the article. Danny Peter’s resume is that of the coach at the end of the bench. Nothing wrong with that, but look at Steele’s assessment of his latest hire as quoted from the Enquirer. The sentence before provides context. “his coaching career at Arizona for four years as a graduate manager and director of basketball operations from 2010-14, then returned as an assistant in 2018.” “I have known Danny since he was a freshman in college, and we have remained very close over the years," said Xavier head coach Travis Steele. "He has a tireless work ethic and is a terrific coach. He has one of the best offensive minds in all of college basketball.”

He has two years as a lower level assistant, but Steele says he has one of the best offensive minds in all of college basketball. I have been bleeding from my eyeballs daily since reading that. Every time he talks or is quoted, it makes me cringe. I always claimed he is the king of hyperbole, and the former has solidified his position. It reinforces my feeling we have an AAU caliber coach as the HC at X. X has a lot of talent again this year. Hopefully, talent trumps the significant deficits elsewhere.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am

Agree AH. None of us had any idea who Peters was and suddenly Steele declares that our 3rd/4th asst coach is one of the best offensive minds in college basketball. Another line of coach speech/BS from the used car salesman. Sounds like David Bell talking about how good the Reds infield defense will be.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue May 18, 2021 11:10 am

Seeing that Peters spent seven years on Miller's staff at Arizona with the last three years as an assistant coach and four years previously as a graduate manager and assistant director of basketball operations shows he has worked his way up the ladder and is probably a good get by X. He has a good pedigree prior to Arizona. Welcome to X, Dan, and ignore the horse beaters. They have nothing better to do.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”