SI take on Louisville Critical mass

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

SI take on Louisville Critical mass

Postby muskieman » Wed May 19, 2021 12:56 pm

I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Re: SI take on Louisville Critical mass

Postby longliveskip » Wed May 19, 2021 2:01 pm

this does not look good for Gaudio or U of L. Gaudio screwed up. He admitted it and said what he did was out of anger of the firing, in the heat of the moment. I get it. We are all human. This incident is completely the opposite of the Dino Gaudio I know, who I've known for almost 35 years. Not sure on the whole circumstances of the firing - was this just Mack saying "we need to make some changes and Murray/Gaudio are going to be the scapegoats". Can't imagine after a 13-7 twice Covid paused season there's much blame to go around but apparently Mack (or someone above him, I speculate) felt the need for changes. Apparently, Gaudio was under contract until end of next season, hence the reason for the 17 months of salary ask but going about it the way he did was not right. If you weren't fired for cause then get your lawyer to file suit against the school to get your wages you think you deserve. Putting the U of L program under more scrutiny with this when they're already under the gun, so to speak, is not a good look. And, the infractions themselves seems pretty petty (a recruiting video and some extra grad assts at practice? c'mon)

either way, I hope Gaudio can get out of this mess unpunished and possibly get back into broadcasting/analyzing where I thought he did a great job.

Mack has his work cut out for him there. Not sure if he's gonna last through all this. We shall see.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed May 19, 2021 2:47 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:01 pm
this does not look good for Gaudio or U of L. Gaudio screwed up. He admitted it and said what he did was out of anger of the firing, in the heat of the moment. I get it. We are all human. This incident is completely the opposite of the Dino Gaudio I know, who I've known for almost 35 years. Not sure on the whole circumstances of the firing - was this just Mack saying "we need to make some changes and Murray/Gaudio are going to be the scapegoats". Can't imagine after a 13-7 twice Covid paused season there's much blame to go around but apparently Mack (or someone above him, I speculate) felt the need for changes. Apparently, Gaudio was under contract until end of next season, hence the reason for the 17 months of salary ask but going about it the way he did was not right. If you weren't fired for cause then get your lawyer to file suit against the school to get your wages you think you deserve. Putting the U of L program under more scrutiny with this when they're already under the gun, so to speak, is not a good look. And, the infractions themselves seems pretty petty (a recruiting video and some extra grad assts at practice? c'mon)

either way, I hope Gaudio can get out of this mess unpunished and possibly get back into broadcasting/analyzing where I thought he did a great job.

Mack has his work cut out for him there. Not sure if he's gonna last through all this. We shall see.
I hope Dino gets out of it without too much penalty, too. I found Mack's comment a throw your guy under the bus moment. Uof L could have told Dino that he could be in trouble with extortion and someone had to have told the feds. As for the petty infractions, I would agree if they had not been guilty of past infractions. Maybe it is time for the NCAA to put down some bitter pill on UofL or Cleveland state is in for some big penalties. SOmetimes the guys that think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence forget the water bill that made it greener.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed May 19, 2021 2:59 pm

Agree with Skip on this one especially since Dino admitted it in a few articles. I was at X when Dino was there and he was not well liked among many and with the players. Agree Mack has his work cut out for him and also heard it was the UofL admin that wanted rid of Murray and Dino.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Wed May 19, 2021 5:46 pm

U of L felt a need to record the meeting with Gaudio (without his knowledge) where he allegedly made the extortion threat. To me, the implication is that someone (Mack, whoever) had some inclination about what Gaudio was going to discuss prior to the meeting and so arranged for the recording. There had to be a reason to record that meeting. Certainly, legal counsel to U of L would likely have been consulted before recording that meeting. In some states, apparently not Kentucky, it is illegal to record someone's voice or image without their permission. None of this seems consistent with the idea that the alleged threat was made "in the heat of the moment".

My vote is that Gaudio came to the meeting with the intent of making the alleged threat. There is, it seems, much more to this story.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed May 19, 2021 9:45 pm

From the Courier-Journal: "The maximum penalty for the charge is two years in prison and a $250,000 fine, or both, but it will likely be far less under federal sentencing guidelines.

Coincidentally, Gaudio was charged under the same federal law that Karen Sypher was convicted of violating when she was found guilty of trying to extort money and cars from then-head coach Rick Pitino. She was sentenced in 2012 to seven years in prison."

His lawyer said; "Gaudio had intended to retire in a year, which made his ouster more devastating,"
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Thu May 20, 2021 7:15 am

muskieman wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:45 pm

His lawyer said; "Gaudio had intended to retire in a year, which made his ouster more devastating,"
That kind of explains the reason for wanting 17 months of salary. I wonder if there are some pension/time eligibility considerations at work here too?

If that is the case, I can certainly understand his anger. Sure, he can find another job. But who wants to move and start over a year away from retirement?
#WHYNOTX?
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu May 20, 2021 1:00 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:59 pm
Agree with Skip on this one especially since Dino admitted it in a few articles. I was at X when Dino was there and he was not well liked among many and with the players. Agree Mack has his work cut out for him and also heard it was the UofL admin that wanted rid of Murray and Dino.
interesting because this would be the opposite of what i've heard from players/staff/etc who worked with him, but plenty of people out there with differing opinions.

FYI - he was the main "big man" coach in the years (not all) when Xavier had Hill, Strong, Grant, Williams, Sykes, etc. Those dudes LOVED him.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu May 20, 2021 4:30 pm

I was there early 90’s and worked at fieldhouse and he had little man syndrome big time and players didn’t like it. Louis Orr and of course Skip were loved by the players.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”