Joe McNeil

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Joe McNeil

Postby muskieman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:51 pm

nickgyp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:43 pm
While on memory lane at Schmidt Fieldhouse, those days included contact with an elderly man that we affectionately called "Dave the Coke Man".
Year after year, he would hawk cokes from a tray that he carried. He was as much of the game experience at Schmidt as the trailer concession stand.

He always had a kind but aged face that was wrinkled from the years. Perhaps, but just perhaps, when Bob Pelkington recently passed Dave greeted him with a coke at the Pearly Gates.
I remember Dave the coke man and yes he was as much of the game experience at Schmidt as a Luther Rackley dunk.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:07 am

MM:

Funny how we remember certain things. Dave the coke man for instance. Even though I was pretty young I recall thinking that Dave always seemed to be there. He couldn't have made very much money; and at his age, it could not have been easy for him to show up at Schmidt especially in inclement winter weather. I guess that I felt sort of sorry for him. As I said, it could not have been easy for him. Looking into his eyes, I always felt that they carried a tinge of hope that you would buy a coke even though I do not recall him vocalizing his product. Yet, I look back at this experience with a fondness and admiration for someone who obviously had a good work ethic.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:24 am

nickgyp wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:07 am
MM:

Funny how we remember certain things. Dave the coke man for instance. Even though I was pretty young I recall thinking that Dave always seemed to be there. He couldn't have made very much money; and at his age, it could not have been easy for him to show up at Schmidt especially in inclement winter weather. I guess that I felt sort of sorry for him. As I said, it could not have been easy for him. Looking into his eyes, I always felt that they carried a tinge of hope that you would buy a coke even though I do not recall him vocalizing his product. Yet, I look back at this experience with a fondness and admiration for someone who obviously had a good work ethic.
Nick, Dave reminded me of another icon but in another Cincinnati sport...Peanut Jim. Always reliable to be there and the product was simple but hit the spot when you needed it. The simple hard-working guy that few people noticed until they needed them.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:31 pm

Ahh memories! When I was a kid, my Dad would take me to Griffith Stadium in DC to watch the helpless and hopeless Senators play baseball. Before we would go in, he would always seek out a blind asian vendor and buy 2 bags of peanuts from him. Nothing to do with X here, I 'm just reminded by your X memories that my dad was a good man! (1908-1988)
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:27 pm

Peanut Jim was an institution at Crosley Field. I remember him well. As sure as the Reds eventually taking the field, Peanut Jim was there at every game year after year. Heck, I remember him as well as watching Koufax, Gibson and Maloney pitching games, Maury Wills stealing bases, Ken Boyer hitting a ball out of the stadium to left field and once, as the Reds player went through the stadium to reach the field, asking Jerry Lynch to hit me a homer. Vada Pinson remains one of my all-time favorites. All very good memories
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:41 pm

nickgyp wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:27 pm
Peanut Jim was an institution at Crosley Field. I remember him well. As sure as the Reds eventually taking the field, Peanut Jim was there at every game year after year. Heck, I remember him as well as watching Koufax, Gibson and Maloney pitching games, Maury Wills stealing bases, Ken Boyer hitting a ball out of the stadium to left field and once, as the Reds player went through the stadium to reach the field, asking Jerry Lynch to hit me a homer. Vada Pinson remains one of my all-time favorites. All very good memories
Vada Pinson was one of my favorites and if we ever meet I will tell you the time I was batting and yelled out to Vada the next one was coming his way... I blooped a single to center field. I introduced my son to Vada and he gave him a bat which is another story and a real good one. BTW the single was hit off Billingham as he tried to sneak a low outside pitch after I fouled off five straight pitches.. I had figured him out.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:54 pm

Hey MM give us some more baseball stories, please. I mean like how did you figure him out?
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 am

MM:

So you hit one to Pinson? Wow! Tellus more, please. I still have a Vada Pinson card that I keep with a .25 cent package of cards bought at Crosley Field. I put in 15 cents and a younger brother put in 10 cents (at least that's what I wrote on the sleeve). At least, I hope it is still at the family home along with a Cracker Jack inspired paper containing autographs by Danny Abramowicz and Carroll Williams signed in the bleachers at Schmidt Fieldhouse.

The Pinson card I got from a childhood friend. Larger than a Topps card with a grinning Pinson. I cannot recall where the card originated as it was definitely not a Topps card or one from the old Kahn's wieners packages. These all survived a purge of baseball cards by the same younger brother who donated the cards to a dealer years ago in a house cleanup. (Bye-bye Marichal, McCovey and Mays...)
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 am

nickgyp wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 am
MM:

So you hit one to Pinson? Wow! Tellus more, please. I still have a Vada Pinson card that I keep with a .25 cent package of cards bought at Crosley Field. I put in 15 cents and a younger brother put in 10 cents (at least that's what I wrote on the sleeve). At least, I hope it is still at the family home along with a Cracker Jack inspired paper containing autographs by Danny Abramowicz and Carroll Williams signed in the bleachers at Schmidt Fieldhouse.

The Pinson card I got from a childhood friend. Larger than a Topps card with a grinning Pinson. I cannot recall where the card originated as it was definitely not a Topps card or one from the old Kahn's wieners packages. These all survived a purge of baseball cards by the same younger brother who donated the cards to a dealer years ago in a house cleanup. (Bye-bye Marichal, McCovey and Mays...)
My Mom(may she rest in peace) gave away most of my baseball cards. She said she didn't think I wanted them after I got married. I was given a basket of cards from a neighbor friend after her son went into the service back in the 50s so gone were the Johannes Peter "Honus" Wagner, the Babe Ruth card when he was a pitcher with the red sox, the Carl Hubbell, the willie mays and mickey mantles as well as the Roger Maris cards and about a dozen others that might have been worth a pretty penny.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:48 pm

MM:

Ouch! Those cards would have been worth a lot today. But like you, our familial ties made some money for others. Any way we can translate these into personal corporal acts of mercy for future credit at the Pearly Gates?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”