Kam Craft

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Kam Craft

Postby skyhops » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:42 am

I think none of us at this point are going to have high hopes for Miles but Steele continues to talk him up. As for practice Carter never practiced and when he did was unproductive yet played most of the game at times, so not sure that point is relevant with Steele.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:57 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:42 am
I think none of us at this point are going to have high hopes for Miles but Steele continues to talk him up. As for practice Carter never practiced and when he did was unproductive yet played most of the game at times, so not sure that point is relevant with Steele.
how many practices did you see him play? maybe if Griffin caught on to plays better and been more consistent at the beginning of the season he might have played more.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:06 pm

It is no secret that Carter did not practice last month or so. Carter lost all confidence and was a liability, so yes there were better options such as Griffin etc. Carter was also the worst shooter in BE.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:06 pm
It is no secret that Carter did not practice last month or so. Carter lost all confidence and was a liability, so yes there were better options such as Griffin etc. Carter was also the worst shooter in BE.
and as usual, you didn't answer the question. What were those better options because after the postponed games X played 8 games, two games Griff didn't play because of Covid but he did play the last 6 playing 34 minutes and scoring 9 points...two games he was shut out

You didn't see Griffin practice and how he struggled with plays which is no fault of his because new big guys sometimes have that problem. And you know why Griff didn't play coming out of the postponed games! in the last five games of the year which he did play, he played 34 minutes and scored 9 points. Hey, he played 8 minutes and scored no points against Butler which we lost in T by 1 point. Maybe had he been full speed he might have gotten more playing time.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm

I was really hoping that by this time we would all be past rehashing last season, but I guess some can’t seem to put the past behind and look to the future…….even on a thread that is supposed to be about a recruit that won’t be here for another year.
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:10 am

I love the perpetual get out of jail free card posters resort to in defense of a coach by saying (paraphrasing),"He sees a lot more than we do in practice, so I'll defer to their judgement." I didn't see Q practice once, but can confidently say he should have cut his three point shooting by 80%; same goes for Carter. Steele, on the other hand, when questioned by reporters abut both of them shooting threes like they were being timed in a carnival game simply said," I have no doubt they'll start to fall." Does that instill confidence in his ability to assess player's strengths and weaknesses? Nah baby nah.

I guess for those who use that tired excuse, they must never have a negative thing to say about any politician on the opposite side of the aisle they align with, since they never were house of reps or senators.

They also never question a ref's call, because they haven't spent thousands of hours reffing games.

Free isn't a 5, and shouldn't guard them. He did it last yea b/c Steele didn't develop Tyrique's backups, and didn't play the only legitimate five who didn't declare he was transferring enough in Griffin. Free's fundamentals are poor, including his footwork, and the fact that he reaches a lot, so hopefully he works on that, and mainly guards only fours. Steele's inability to get and properly utilize a five has been sporadic at best. He wasted 1/2 of Hankin's career, and Ramsey's knees coincidentally became crippled about the time he told Steele he was planning on transferring. The same, mysterious lack of PT befell Tandy when he had the same epiphany, even though he was the best scorer at X thru the first 40 games.

Steele has done less with more talent than any coach in 'X's history since I started following them in the 40s. Friends in high places cannot save him from another disappointing year. Then again, Cristopher (along with the big donors), not Bobinski, is calling the shots (the same guy who ran Bowling Green's programs), so you never know. I'm not saying he is a bad AD, but his legacy was hardly impressive before, and so far, during his time here.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:52 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:10 am
I love the perpetual get out of jail free card posters resort to in defense of a coach by saying (paraphrasing),"He sees a lot more than we do in practice, so I'll defer to their judgement." I didn't see Q practice once, but can confidently say he should have cut his three point shooting by 80%; same goes for Carter. Steele, on the other hand, when questioned by reporters abut both of them shooting threes like they were being timed in a carnival game simply said," I have no doubt they'll start to fall." Does that instill confidence in his ability to assess player's strengths and weaknesses? Nah baby nah.

I guess for those who use that tired excuse, they must never have a negative thing to say about any politician on the opposite side of the aisle they align with, since they never were house of reps or senators.

They also never question a ref's call, because they haven't spent thousands of hours reffing games.

Free isn't a 5, and shouldn't guard them. He did it last yea b/c Steele didn't develop Tyrique's backups, and didn't play the only legitimate five who didn't declare he was transferring enough in Griffin. Free's fundamentals are poor, including his footwork, and the fact that he reaches a lot, so hopefully he works on that, and mainly guards only fours. Steele's inability to get and properly utilize a five has been sporadic at best. He wasted 1/2 of Hankin's career, and Ramsey's knees coincidentally became crippled about the time he told Steele he was planning on transferring. The same, mysterious lack of PT befell Tandy when he had the same epiphany, even though he was the best scorer at X thru the first 40 games.

Steele has done less with more talent than any coach in 'X's history since I started following them in the 40s. Friends in high places cannot save him from another disappointing year. Then again, Cristopher (along with the big donors), not Bobinski, is calling the shots (the same guy who ran Bowling Green's programs), so you never know. I'm not saying he is a bad AD, but his legacy was hardly impressive before, and so far, during his time here.
A bit tougher on Steele than I think is warranted. Nevertheless, IMO, a well reasoned critique. Love the "perpetual, Get Out of Jail Card" idea. I share the opinion that Steele hasn't yet shown he can maximize the performance of what seems to be pretty good talent and that ZFree is not a "5". I will, however, add that Steele has been an impressive recruiter once he got past the eight ball of Mack's exit.

Another poster laments that we remain too backward looking on this board. But, analyzing the strengths + weaknesses of our head coach, while rooted in past performance, is relevant to next season. Frustrated with last season, I remain hopeful that Steele has grown professionally and next year's team will benefit greatly from his experience and the return of so many veterans.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:50 pm

Well said by the last two posters.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 pm

I still have hope that Miles can be a valuable asset this year. He wasn't ready last year but there is definitely potential there. Hopefully he is getting the coaching he needs to fulfill his potential.

As for Griffin not scoring much over the last so many games being proof he wasn't able to contribute is ignoring so many other facets of the game. I don't recall the details of those games well but I am thinking at least several of those games had Griffin contributing in other ways. Defense, not taking poor shots, rebounding, etc. It is definitely possible covid significantly impacted his conditioning and forced reduced minutes but there were so many games throughout the year that he earned more minutes and never received them that I don't have a lot of confidence conditioning is the reason his minutes were non existent.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm
skyhops wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:06 pm
and as usual, you didn't answer the question. What were those better options because after the postponed games X played 8 games, two games Griff didn't play because of Covid but he did play the last 6 playing 34 minutes and scoring 9 points...two games he was shut out

You didn't see Griffin practice and how he struggled with plays which is no fault of his because new big guys sometimes have that problem. And you know why Griff didn't play coming out of the postponed games! in the last five games of the year which he did play, he played 34 minutes and scored 9 points. Hey, he played 8 minutes and scored no points against Butler which we lost in T by 1 point. Maybe had he been full speed he might have gotten more playing time.
Odom's numbers: 22min, 7 pts, 49%. Griffin's numbers: 11,4, 59%. Me thinks your myopic perspective discounts Griffin's real value. Based on your assessment, Odom was not productive either. Way to cherry pick, my friend. Oh, btw, one guy who Griffin competed with for PT had these numbers: 27, 6, 38%. Griffin had a much better rebounding rate as well. As you look under more rocks, the optics get worse and worse re: Steele's in game (mis)management.
Last edited by Anti-Homer on Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”