NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:59 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/ ... ing-a.html

The recruiting battle for South Kent’s Kevin Parrom is heating up. During the summer, Xavier assistant Book Richardson appeared at every game that Parrom played in, sitting near the front row during July’s Reebok All-American Camp.

On Saturday, Parrom showed up at Rucker to watch the Elite 24 game with Omari Lawrence, who recently committed to St. John’s. The two are close friends, having played together since childhood, but you can bet Lawrence was doing his share of lobbying for the Red Storm.

Parrom lists Xavier and St. John’s at the top of his list, followed by South Carolina, Temple, Pitt, UConn and Marquette, but no programs have shown more interest in the 6-6 swingman than the Musketeers and Red Storm.
* * *

Speaking of the Musketeers, Xavier is continuing to scour the tri-state area for talent, although they have yet to net a commitment for the incoming class of 2009. They’re aggressively chasing Parrom, as well as Connecticut forward Tevin Baskin and Rice guard Durand Scott.

They’re also hotly pursuing a collection of the area’s 2010 players, having offered scholarships to Loughlin’s Jayvaughn Pinkston, Doron Lamb (Oak Hill Academy, formerly Loughlin) and Long Island’s Tobias Harris.

It’s been up-and-down recruiting for Xavier, though. They have the resume of a major-conference team, including last year’s 30-7 record and Elite Eight appearance, and they have stability in head coach Sean Miller, who just got a 10-year extension. But they don’t play in a power conference (Atlantic 10).

That shouldn’t affect all players, though. Scott, for one, thinks very highly of the Musketeers. “They’re definitely on the list,” he said.

Scott lists the Musketeers along with a half-dozen other programs, including UCLA, Pitt, UConn and Miami, but this recruiting battle could finish up soon. Scott wants to make a decision “before my season starts.”

“I thought it would be hard,” he said. “But when I actually started trimming my list, it doesn’t seem that bad. I know what I want.”

Scott said his priority is finding somewhere where he’s “comfortable” and can get a good education. He also wants playing time.

“I want a decent amount of minutes,” he said. “And I want to win.”

Expect a battle between UConn and Xavier in the end. Scott took an unofficial trip to Xavier a few months back and loved the campus. The Musketeers also offer plenty of early playing time with B.J. Raymond and C.J. Anderson graduating after this year.

UConn, meanwhile, offered a scholarship to Scott during the CHSAA playoffs, and they have a talented lead recruiter of sorts: Scott’s former Rice teammate Kemba Walker.

-By Ebenezer Samuel
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
MillerTime
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby MillerTime » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:10 am

Wow. Didn't realize Durand Scott was that high on us. Our recruiting picture will be clearer very, very soon.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26816
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby muskieman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:56 pm

A friend going to the red storm is a plus for St John but I hope he decides on X.


Come to Xavier
Come to Xavier
Come to Xavier
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
bigperm
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby bigperm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:40 am

Parrom committed to Red Storm...hopefully Stewart will pick X along with Scott.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26816
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby muskieman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:47 am

bigperm good catch. Rivals has it, I found it on a West Virg. rivals site. Not much on other sites.

I guess his friendship included more than just moving in HS and extended to college. If he is ever good enough to play in the NBA how will he live without his partner.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
realxfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:54 pm
Contact:

Re: NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby realxfan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:47 pm

Where are you seeing Parrom committed to St. Johns? I don't see it anywhere...even the SJU rivals page has nothing.
bigperm
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby bigperm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Rivals...look up Parrom.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26816
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby muskieman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:53 pm

I saw it on the WVU rival site but I just looked and they must have taken it down. Maybe it was just someone getting excited and a rival board picked it up.

back to

Come to Xavier
Come to Xavier
Come to Xavier
and one more for good luck

Come to Xavier
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:58 pm

<<Rivals...look up Parrom.>.

I still haven't seen any SJU confirmation yet. Not saying it's not true.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
realxfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:54 pm
Contact:

Re: NY Daily News comments re XU recruiting/targets

Postby realxfan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:03 pm

When you search Parrom you see on 8/20 top NY guard chooses SJU...it's misleading because that's Lawrence who chose the them.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 826 guests