2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
tacitus

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby tacitus » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:44 am

Ya gotta get off the word ranked, dadgummit. High quality, not necessarily ranked teams, and not littered with multiple sub 200RPI teams.

Agree that there are many quality teams that are not ranked, and often ranked teams that are not quality, especially early in the season. In fact, there are many very solid teams that are never ranked at any point during the season. Playing such teams would certainly help the team improve. But from the perspective of getting an at-large bid, playing ranked teams absolutely matters. It also matters from the perspective of national exposure and recruiting.

Agreed, but once again, I said Steele’s NC schedule has been Cronin like during his UC days. CM’s also left something to be desired, but was still more competitive than Steele’s. Also, the BE was considerably better top to bottom in the preceding years before Steele took over, so a less challenging NC schedule was more forgivable during tourney time.

Looking at the data, I do not see much of a difference at all between Mack's and Steele's NC schedules. You are right that the big difference is that in the last few years the Big East has underperformed, especially in-terms of bids. However, I would argue that if you look at the data, at least half of the inconsistency comes from the Selection Committee, rather than the Big East. We were still consistently one of the best leagues, but for some reason they decided that .500 in one of the best leagues with strong NC performances was no longer enough. For instance, I still think we got robbed in 2019, given how strongly we finished. And the whole league got robbed in 2020, albeit by Corona Virus. I agree it is wise to not overload on cupcakes in the event that a) the Big East underperforms or b) we struggle during the conference season. However, I still think it is very clear that the NC schedule this year is our best ever. That was the whole point of this thread and my initial reply.

Once again, you keep changing the argument. Being one of the best leagues doesn’t necessarily equate to parity. After the top three or four teams in the BE during Steele’s tenure, I believe the drop off has been pretty significant

Parity is a moot point unless you are playing in one of the best leagues.

Of course they do, but they also often have four or more teams with top 6-7 seeds in the tourney, and 2-4 more teams in the tourney

Not according to the NCAA's own metrics. According to the NCAA's own metrics, we are consistently a top-4 league with the most parity. If you do not agree with the NCAA's metrics, that is fine. But it is not fine if the Selection Committee doesn't.

During Steele's tenure?

In 2020 we were the best league according to both NET and RPI. The weakest team according to NET was Depaul at 86. Had there been a tournament, we would have easily had 5 bids, and likely 6 or 7. Xavier was a bubble team at 8-10 in the conference and 19 wins overall. But looking at the other bubble teams that year, I really think we should have been in. Unfortunately, for us (and Steele's career), we will never know...

Source: https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... e/Big-East

Rinse-repeat. My posts which you took great umbrage with, refer to X during Steele’s era. I suppose we’ll just not see eye to eye which is ok, but I prefer X’s performance during CM’s time in the BE over Steele’s. Hopefully, this year will be different.

I absolutely prefer the Mack years, too! I couldn't believe all the people who criticized Mack when he was at X. I would have to dig up the post, but I said repeatedly if Mack left, then it would take us 5-10 years to get back to where we were. The fact that he was from Cincinnati and an X grad, him leaving sent a clear message to coaches and recruits that we are a stepping stone. Steele has had some bad luck. He had two bubble teams, one that was left out by the committee and one that was left out by Covid. Also last year Covid took its toll on the team. Unfortunately it is this year or never. But given the NC schedule that we have plus all the opportunities we will have in the Big East, I think he can save his job this year!
Let's March!
muskieman

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby muskieman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:51 am

X is 5-1 here is what is left of the OOC schedule

December 1, 2021 (Wednesday) Home Central Michigan
December 5, 2021 (Sunday) TBD Away Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla. BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle
December 8, 2021 (Wednesday) TBD Home Ball State
December 11, 2021 (Saturday) Cincinnati Cintas Center Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout
December 15, 2021 (Wednesday) TBD Home Morehead State
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”