2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: 2021-22 schedule SO FAR

Postby muskieman » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 am

Mario was considered a scheduling genius just a few years ago and now he is getting fl ack for this years schedule! I guess we forget we play in the BE.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:30 pm

The schedule could be better but not terrible. The NIT will be against power conference teams. OSU and OK St will be other opportunities against the power conferences. Kent St was solid last year. Morehead State also generally wins games in their conference so they deserve a shot to prove themselves against power conference schools. UC is a staple and generally will not hurt the SOS and may help.

Travis needs to prove himself this year. He is still getting highly rated recruits but that continues only if he either wins or sends players to the NBA. Personally I want both. NBA success for the players but wins for the fans.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:08 am

maybe next year's schedule will be better in those few critical posters eyes when X plays in the PK85 tourney next year. The field is reported to be Duke, North Carolina, Villanova, UConn, Xavier, West Virginia, Iowa State, Purdue, Michigan State, Alabama, Florida, Gonzaga, Oregon, Oregon State, Portland and Portland State. Two eight-team tournaments and will be held in Portland at the Moda Center and Memorial Coliseum in November of 2022."
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:33 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:08 am
maybe next year's schedule will be better in those few critical posters eyes when X plays in the PK85 tourney next year. The field is reported to be Duke, North Carolina, Villanova, UConn, Xavier, West Virginia, Iowa State, Purdue, Michigan State, Alabama, Florida, Gonzaga, Oregon, Oregon State, Portland and Portland State. Two eight-team tournaments and will be held in Portland at the Moda Center and Memorial Coliseum in November of 2022."
I share your hope Mman, b/c the non-conf schedule in his first three years has been Cronin-esque. The difference is Cronin made the tourney, though the putrid conference UC played in didn't hurt. This year may be potentially a little better, but X's tradition of having one of the worst non-conf schedules in the BE since Steele took over the reins continues. You cant play all top 100 teams, but playing multiple sub 250 games a year does not help at all. In fact, I suspect it would be better to go 2-4 against Top 75 teams than 6-0 against the former.

The talent this year is the best he has had. Missed opportunity to capitalize on it. And child, please, don't use the excuse of the BE being such a scary gauntlet. it has been a top-heavy league the last several years, with only three teams having a credible chance of making the SW 16. I'm usually a glass 4/5 full type of guy, so I'll trust the free fall ends this year.

Seacrest out.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:37 pm

AirJordan wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:22 pm
This early season schedule looks a bit pathetic. We could take out Morehead State and one or two MAC teams and upgrade to better competition. This schedule, to me, reflects poorly on Steele. This team has (on paper anyway) enough depth to go against better teams. The players would benefit from playing better teams and Steele could certainly benefit from a coaching perspective. Seriously, we can't do better than this?

Would a couple more losses (instead of cupcake victories) hurt X come tournament time, especially if they are on the bubble? Possibly, but more experience against a higher level of competition is more likely to be a benefit than a disadvantage. Steele needs to push himself and this team to get better, especially in big games. The way to do that is to play more big games. Run to the battle not from it.
Excellent take. I wish I read this first. It would have saved me from my last post, though I am dangerously close to not meeting my posting weekly quota as a moderator, so scratch that.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:23 pm

I will be at the PK85. Definitely a great opportunity for major wins. Hope TS and the team figure it out this season.
WestCoastMuskie

Postby WestCoastMuskie » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:36 pm

Are we sure he is a great recruiter? The recruits are rated highly, sure, but the two best X players I ever saw had no such ratings - Brian Grant and David West. They DEVELOPED into great players. I have a hard time telling if these players have the raw talent and never develop or are just overrated. I do know we desperately need a shooting coach. Too many reputed good shooters come here and start firing bricks.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:10 pm

Travis definitely doesn't maximize potential. Players don't seem to play to their strengths and those that do, get limited floor time.

We should know more about his recruiting this year but as of now I would say he is a good recruiter, terrible at player development and a mediocre judge of talent. On paper he is getting players over other top tier programs so that does indicate he is a good recruiter. Those players may however be overrated or require development to live up to the rating.

Last years class definitely has some gamers. Not necessarily great shooters but generally well rounded players - capable of playing high level defense, getting in the paint, rebounding and distributing the the ball.

Hopefully Travis shows a ton of growth this year.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:05 am

This seems like one of the worst schedules X has had in years. Leaves little error for a bad loss in BE if they lose one of these. Not a great non-con schedule last year (other than Oklahoma) and an average year in BE got them on outside looking in. That said, who knows if there are restrictions in scheduling.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:57 pm

As to the PK85 how are they getting around having teams in the same conference play each other? There are three BE schools so at least two have to be in the same 8 team tournament. Just sayin.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”