2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Jesseandrippers

Re: 2021-22 schedule for 2021-22

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:37 am

muskieman wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:23 am
Sorry Jessie but within my family of about fifth or so people we have seen many false positives an d some of the family are teachers and doctors who also mention false positives as existing
Come walk the ICU’s with me this morning. You will see plenty of “healthy” 30 some year olds on vents.

Postby 54586264 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:10 am

I agree. Thank god, muskieman, that you had false positives in the family. There are also false negatives.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:36 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:37 am
muskieman wrote:
Sorry Jessie but within my family of about fifth or so people we have seen many false positives an d some of the family are teachers and doctors who also mention false positives as existing
Come walk the ICU’s with me this morning. You will see plenty of “healthy” 30 some year olds on vents.
and how many have unlying conditions? How many will recover? How many have the flu? In September COVID-19 patients make up roughly 1 in 3 ICU patients(Source Cin Enq.) so how many today?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:31 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:36 pm
Jesseandrippers wrote:
muskieman wrote:
and how many have unlying conditions? How many will recover? How many have the flu? In September COVID-19 patients make up roughly 1 in 3 ICU patients(Source Cin Enq.) so how many today?
I'm not going to say which side of this debate I'm on, but the whole "How many have underlying conditions" retort is such a red herring talking point imo. The morbidity and mortality of every illness are exacerbated by one having underlying conditions: The flu, heart 7 pulmonary diseases, diabetes, etc. The latter isn't inclusive solely to Covid. I think both sides of the debate make cogent points. I'm a pro-vaxxer and believe Covid is much more pathogenic than the flu, but also believe that there should be no pause, since the demographic (young, healthy athletes) we're speaking of are minimally impacted by Covid.

As far as having fans in the stand, at this point in time, I'm in the camp of allowing full capacity, provided that admittance is predicated on proof of a Vax, or recent Covid test. No one is forcing you to go to games anyway. Exclusive of Covid, millions of Americans who have are unhealthy work every day because they have to in order to pay the bills. I know someone who went to work 8 days after bypass surgery (as opposed to the several weeks his doctor mandated) because he couldn't afford to miss a paycheck. Risk reward was part of our daily lives long before Covid. The sad part is I believe the majority of Americans are swayed more by politics, rather than science, and believe neither party can claim moral superiority in this debate.

Would live to hear Chitown's take.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:14 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:36 pm
Jesseandrippers wrote:
muskieman wrote:
You are missing the gravity of this issue right now.
Let me preface by saying that I am a card carrying Republican so you can spare me the political fodder. The big issue right now is there are no beds and the bigger constraint is that there is nobody to take care of sick people (Covid+ and not Covid+). The more transmission, the bigger the constraint. For example, we are running out of oncology/cardiovascular nurses because of high COVID transmission. Who is going to take care of your family member who is going on ECMO or to CRRT in pediatrics? You cant scrape someone off the street to do this and you cannot have COVID positive clinicians in these unit. But, how dare someone take your precious basketball away. Lockdown - no. But to criticize testing as the end of this country is downright ignorant.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:45 pm

nope just looking at CDC comments and stats from state data. I am more vulnerable than 95% of the people on this board so I don't take health issues lightly
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:52 am

Covid 19 is not about politics. Covid 19 does not care if YOU are Repub or Dem, white or black or Asian etc, 5 years old or 90 years old, etc it just wants a HOST body to make sick and or die. Covid 19 will be with the WORLD forever just like the flu...they modify themselves to different variants and come back. The real problem with dealing with the Covid 19 in America is that we have only 62% vaccinated and 38% unvaccinated and the 38% of the people are just totally STUPID!!!! Stupidity is the USA problem regarding Covid 19. There are many countries more vaccinated than America......we just have a lot of dumb people in America. (PS and as a side issue only, most of the unvaccinated happen to be Republicans...lol)
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:46 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:52 am
Covid 19 is not about politics. Covid 19 does not care if YOU are Repub or Dem, white or black or Asian etc, 5 years old or 90 years old, etc it just wants a HOST body to make sick and or die. Covid 19 will be with the WORLD forever just like the flu...they modify themselves to different variants and come back. The real problem with dealing with the Covid 19 in America is that we have only 62% vaccinated and 38% unvaccinated and the 38% of the people are just totally STUPID!!!! Stupidity is the USA problem regarding Covid 19. There are many countries more vaccinated than America......we just have a lot of dumb people in America. (PS and as a side issue only, most of the unvaccinated happen to be Republicans...lol)
I don't consider someone with problems getting the shot STUPID and to call them names is downright uncalled for from anyone. That is the problem today we have sides that call each other names and only promote more division and mistrust.
The CDC says: "If you have had a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) or an immediate allergic reaction, even if it was not severe:
to any ingredient in an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine (such as polyethylene glycol), you should not get an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.

people who are pregnant women or immunocompromised people or those who take immunosuppressive medications need to consult with their doctors before receiving the vaccines and may be advised not to get the shot.

so before calling people STUPID maybe have some empathy for people that have developed myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) and pericarditis (inflammation of the outer lining of the heart) from the shot (if they have not died) and not be surprised they don't want a second shot or have relatives or others who have had those problems in the past for not getting the shot.

BTW the 38% also include someone that has had the virus and has antibodies and the fact that you can get Covid even with the shot and antibodies are a better solution and from the CDC "Once you have antibodies to a particular disease, they provide some protection from that disease. Even if you do get sick, having antibodies can protect you from getting severely ill because your body has some experience in fighting that disease"

BTW I am vaxxed and have had the heart problems mentioned in the past.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:02 pm

Surely the post calling the unvaccinated stupid did not intend to include those that have medical reasons to not get the shot.

Hospital capacity and medical personnel staffing continues to be the key metric in how to govern against covid.

Stupidity and misinformation are key factors in why Covid continues to be a serious issue in the US. That includes personal hygiene which is severely lacking in this country. Seeing guys leave public restrooms without washing their hands almost every time I use a public restroom is pathetic. Some of these guys even flush the urinal so not only are they wiping their own genitalia on everything they touch but also that of everyone else that used the urinal since its last cleaning. They likely go back to their seat grab some finger foods and stuff their face.

Mask wearing could be helpful but most wear masks with an improper fit and/or just wear them incorrectly.

While young and healthy is certainly beneficial against Covid, it is not enough to do away with precautions for college basketball. If vaccinated, then those precautions could likely be done away with. It is extremely rare for a recently vaccinated person to become seriously ill. More rare when young and healthy.

The personal freedom comments are a bit silly. The government forces me to wear pants, helmets, seatbelts, etc. They outlaw drugs, theft, physical violence against others. Some want the government to outlaw abortions, religious freedoms and speaking foreign languages. I am generally against taking away freedoms in order to protect an individual from themselves. Seatbelt and helmet laws do nothing to protect others from an individual and should not be laws (requiring children to wear seatbelts/helmets would be acceptable). Insurance companies should simply refuse medical payouts for those not wearing the protective equipment. Masks and vaccines are about protecting others so the personal liberties argument holds less weight. Would those against masks and vaccines have argued it is the right of someone with aids to intentionally act irresponsibly (especially prior to current treatments)? Is it really that hard to just be a decent person? If you do not have medical reasons to not be vaccinated, then get vaccinated.
PT71

Postby PT71 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:21 am

muskieman wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:45 pm
nope just looking at CDC comments and stats from state data. I am more venerable than 95% of the people on this board so I don't take health issues lightly
"Venerable" versus "vulnerable," now which is it!?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”