OHIO STATE Nov 18
NORFOLK STATE Nov 21
PRESEASON NIT Nov 24 - 26
CENTRAL MICHIGAN Dec 1
OKLAHOMA STATE Dec 5 Stillwater
BALL STATE Dec 8
Crosstown Shootout Dec 11
MOREHEAD STATE Dec 15
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Xavier2005

Re: 2021-22 schedule SO FAR

Postby Xavier2005 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:37 pm

a lot of so called weaker teams scheduled to run up the wins before a tough conference schedule , but this is nothing new...as most better teams do this all the time.....regardless of the sport.???? right?
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:54 am

the schedule is fine. as you said, we need some "weaker" teams but we also have some "stronger" teams. OSU and OSU will both be solid games. pre-season NIT should hopefully give us a couple strong W's. the rest we SHOULD take care of but i'm certain there's probably one opponent in there we may have a "hiccup" against, which isn't the end of the world. the BE schedule balances everything else out.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:55 pm

Not sure we can expect wins against good teams. Travis has not proven capable of beating good teams yet. The talent is there so hopefully it all comes together this year. Getting the W over Ohio State would be ideal for recruiting.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:42 am

madness31 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:55 pm
Not sure we can expect wins against good teams. Travis has not proven capable of beating good teams yet. The talent is there so hopefully it all comes together this year. Getting the W over Ohio State would be ideal for recruiting.
that is just a crazy comment but then it is from Anti-Steele AKA AH
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:43 am

muskieman wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:42 am
madness31 wrote:
Mman,

I know there is a lot of real estate in your cranium with 97% vacancy, but I'm tired of being the only occupant. That was Madness31's quote. However, you bring up a relevant take. Just curious: In three years at X, how many consequential wins has he had in your opinion? Should high, or any NIT seeds continue to be the lowered bar he has set? Is this a make or break year for Steele?

Great recruiter, but thus far, everything about him screams AAU coach. Pastner is trending into a decent coach at GTech (though a small sample), so hopefully, Steele reaches that lofty goal next year. Circle the game against the Gauchos!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:34 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:43 am
muskieman wrote:
madness31 wrote:
Mman,

I know there is a lot of real estate in your cranium with 97% vacancy, but I'm tired of being the only occupant. That was Madness31's quote. However, you bring up a relevant take. Just curious: In three years at X, how many consequential wins has he had in your opinion? Should high, or any NIT seeds continue to be the lowered bar he has set? Is this a make or break year for Steele?

Great recruiter, but thus far, everything about him screams AAU coach. Pastner is trending into a decent coach at GTech (though a small sample), so hopefully, Steele reaches that lofty goal next year. Circle the game against the Gauchos!
Look them up yourself or is your nanny on vacation?
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:28 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:43 am
muskieman wrote:
madness31 wrote:
Mman,

I count 2.

2019 over Villanova to keep us in the Big East race. Ultimately flamed out. Then last year vs Creighton, a do or do or die game vs a ranked team. Thats not gonna cut it.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 am

Three games under .500 in BE play and no NCAA tourney in all three years, that should be reason for concern. I do at appreciate Muskieman's blind love and loyalty for Coach Steele's underwhelming resume.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:22 pm

This early season schedule looks a bit pathetic. We could take out Morehead State and one or two MAC teams and upgrade to better competition. This schedule, to me, reflects poorly on Steele. This team has (on paper anyway) enough depth to go against better teams. The players would benefit from playing better teams and Steele could certainly benefit from a coaching perspective. Seriously, we can't do better than this?

Would a couple more losses (instead of cupcake victories) hurt X come tournament time, especially if they are on the bubble? Possibly, but more experience against a higher level of competition is more likely to be a benefit than a disadvantage. Steele needs to push himself and this team to get better, especially in big games. The way to do that is to play more big games. Run to the battle not from it.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”