Realignment

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Jesseandrippers

Realignment

Postby Jesseandrippers » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:17 pm

Dont see this latest wave having an impact on the BE (yet). Possible we could lose UCONN but I think they formed this conference to avoid this mess.

Anyone else hearing other rumors?
olsingledigit

Re: Realignment

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:38 pm

Lose U Conn to this? Not a chance. Maybe some other reason, but their football program is on life support and not getting off of it. This move is a football move pure and simple. That it might (will?) affect basketball is a side product. It remains to be seen what will ultimately happen.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 am

The realignment will definitely impact basketball, and all other sports...

Besides the impact that it will have directly and immediately on the Big 12 and the SEC, expect the following effects:

1) The Big 12 will want to replace Texas and Oklahoma long BEFORE they leave. Those are pretty good basketball schools too, so the Big 12 will want to pick up some schools that could hold their own in both sports. Look for them to start by getting their pick of the litter from the American. UC is probably a top target, especially since UC has been looking for greener pastures for many years now. (Louisville got the spot in the ACC over them!) Wherever they take two (or more) schools from, those conferences will follow suit, and there will be a ripple effect, which, again, will not just impact football but all sports across those conferences. Moreover, I am sure that many schools are already secretly vying for the open spots and any school looking to make a jump to a better league will be speculating and hedging their bets over the next several months.

2) The wave of realignment to follow will cause some animosity. Certain schools may no longer play each other anymore in ANY sport. Texas and Texas A&M no longer play against each other in football or basketball. Big 12 teams may refuse to play Texas or Oklahoma for many years. The same may happen across all conferences affected. I do not foresee UC pulling out of the crosstown shootout if they were to make the leap to the Big 12. But... such a move could affect the rivalry. It might become less important on their schedule... or... it could become even more important nationally as an annual match up between two power conference schools. Many new rivalries could also (re)emerge as a result of realignment.

3) There could be some basketball-dominant schools in the Big 12, or elsewhere, who want to just get out of the whole football realignment carousel. Kansas, for instance, may be tired of dealing with this, considering that football is a very distant second sport there. Might they want to test the waters in the Big East??? Not that much of a stretch given that Creighton is already in the league! Might the Big East be able to exploit this situation to become the "super league" for NCAA hoops that rivals the SEC as their counterpart for football? Or... might the SEC be just one step closer to breaking away from the NCAA to form their own semi-pro league that makes college stars millions (and them billions) to the detriment of everyone else? So many possibilities to go in so many directions...
Let's March!
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:42 pm

Very briefly: Football , at the moment, brings in most of the college athletics revenues, with college basketball a distant second. So: 1. there will be only Four major college football Conferences. Those four conferences will have 14 to 20 teams maximum. The college football National Champion will come from those 4 conferences, not likely any other conference . The National College Football National tournament will be 12 teams. (4 with a bye/8 play down to four teams and then the final 8 play it out to the winner. This will be the new format. 2. Based on this the reminder of the colleges will drop their football programs and or all scholarships. 3. Those other colleges will turn their focus to college basketball as their major sport and just a few other minor sports for men and or women, but 4. Most other college athletic sports programs will be dropped or pared down to a lot less than today. 5. Without college football and or basketball revenues colleges cannot afford all the other sports programs.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:02 am

Dropping sports might not hold as wealthy donors will step forward to finance their preferred sport and if necessary an additional team to hold gender opportunities equal.

No idea if the rest of your projection will come true but if football is dropped, most schools will certainly look to drop other sports and force alumni to foot the bill to keep them.

Is football the big revenue stream for bad football programs that have successful Basketball programs?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:32 am

madness31 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:02 am
Dropping sports might not hold as wealthy donors will step forward to finance their preferred sport and if necessary an additional team to hold gender opportunities equal.

No idea if the rest of your projection will come true but if football is dropped, most schools will certainly look to drop other sports and force alumni to foot the bill to keep them.

Is football the big revenue stream for bad football programs that have successful Basketball programs?
Bad football programs don
t have big revenue streams, ask UConn. in 2018 the football program had an $8.7 million deficit and they are stuck with a losing program because of their contracts with CBS and Learfield
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:19 pm

The SEC is getting Texas and Oklahoma. They may get more schools. Recently it was mentioned that the Pac12, the Big 10, and the ACC will form an Alliance together. The Big football conferences are coming together to form huge conferences and or an alliance. Not sure where that leaves the Big East since they are basically a Basketball conference. The TV $$$$ flow to or thru Football.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:23 pm

Univ. Of Cincinnati and 3 other teams just invited to join the Big 12 ....due to football. Within 3 to 5 years either 4 or 5 Conferences will dominate college football and tv college football in Division One. The other schools in division one will have to decide whether to fold/drop football or go back to division two because their football programs will be obsolete. The NCAA will not have control of Division One football in the near future.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:53 pm

Three from the AAC and BYU. Not sure that equals what they lost
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:03 am

muskieman wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:53 pm
Three from the AAC and BYU. Not sure that equals what they lost
In football for sure It doesn’t. Texas and OK are true historical powers in college football. The 4 coming in aren’t. But that’s still no reason for the B12 to not go that way. Bringing those 4 in is it’s best option for sustaining itself as a top 5 football conference. They are simply the best programs out there that were not already in a P5 conference (Other than ND, which is an entity all into itself). Adding 4 will bring its members up to an actual 12 and help to balance out its schedule. There was basically no reason for any school already in a P5 conference to move to the B12. So they did the best they could.
#WHYNOTX?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”