OT--Edition 2

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
SC in DC

OT--Edition 2

Postby SC in DC » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:34 pm

If everyone tells me you hate this, I'll stop.

Two bball stories from the Friday Dec 13, 1963 XAVIER NEWS!

First the Frosh team (remember them! My freshmen year also)
"Pitts and Hengehold Star in Lexington Travesty." Pitts who could REALLY ball, but couldn't study, had 37, and Hengehold had 26 (I'm not sure what became of Jim H) but "little Muskies" lost to UK 116-93. Good D was played on both sides it seems!

The second one was "Largest Crowd in Two Years Watches As Musketeers Dump Tennessee" ( I was there). A crowd of 4,187 supported the Muskies and Coach Ruberg had many words of praise for the student body (the seventh man). S Thomas was high scorer but only had 19, got help from Bob Pelkington who pulled down15 rebounds and 11 points. Joe Geiger and Joe McNeil were also big in the victory, 69-57.

Zino's Pizza and to a much smaller degree, Dana's. were two of many ads supporting the paper.

And finally, an interesting article from I believe a fellow freshman like myself, and currently a member of the LHS, if I'm right.
He writes that XU doesn't make much of an effort to attract top-flight students for academic scholarships vs attempting to get "fleet halfback or towering forward" by "makes personal contact with the best of these young men (remember no women back then), visits their families and invites the young athlete to visit the Xavier campus. (No wonder our teams were mediocre!) He continues, " Naturally, then, if a school wantsa strong academic core, students should be sought after with as much effort as are athletes. Yet such does not seem to be the situation here at Xavier."

Have things changed Jim?
edgecliff hall

Re: OT--Edition 2

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:59 am

Fun stuff! Don't stop.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:41 am

I was at that game too. My freshman year.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:04 am

edgecliff hall wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:59 am
Fun stuff! Don't stop.
As usual, I agree with edgecliff. SC posts equal fun.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”