OT--3

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
SC in DC

OT--3

Postby SC in DC » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:06 pm

OK so what did a freshman do for a good time during Orientation week sponsored by the sophomore officers of the student council (they must of hated freshmen!!)

OK it starts with laying down $1.50 for a frosh cap! "worth it's price a hundred times over" they said.

Tuesday night--(it's a biggie) Welcome to Xavier U. A welcoming committee (of those dedicated Sophomore SC officers--you know who you are!) for out-of-town students.

Wednesday--(exciting) What's"ROTC" night! (Hopefully by now someone has taken you to Dana's and introduced you to3.2 beer! Anyone want a Hudepohl?)

Thursday--Musketeer Night. Alter hall Auditorium (which I'll always remember for my first theology class with Fr Bergerman (sp) as a gung-ho freshman going to tear up college--and I fell asleep!) Anyway, we were to meet Xavier's football and basketball greats "learn cheers and songs". Bet it was a good night but I must have missed it--probably had found Dana's by then.

Friday--(now it heats up!) Meet some Cincinnati Girls Night. XU Armory "The first XU dance of the year (GIRLS!),,,,One dollar for men with Frosh Cap." I later learned to prefer the "Drink or Drown" dances off campus to these "mixers"!

Saturday--XU vs Quantico Marines. "Quantico is one of Xavier's oldest tradition rivals....why start with the best? Donno, but we do."
These were actually some really good games. QM had some good players who played for other schools. (I was there but don't remember, so tried to look it up. Guess we lost cuz I found the "Devil Dogs" were 10-1 that year. Also found out that when they stopped playing football in 1972 their last win ever was against--guess who--34-0! OK, I was going to check my yearbook, but found it on-line, we lost a close one 9-7.)

Sunday--2 Big ones to cap off the week. Receptions at Knights Manor, Clef Club and Sodality House "open house" from 1-4 pm. (I think I went to all 3--not!). and then a Supper Dance at Mount St. Joseph $.75 for the bus trip. ( ok I admit it, my first girlfriend at X was a Mountie! Good times with Ginger--sure with a 9 o'clock curfew or whatever, but she was cute!!
Last edited by SC in DC on Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC in DC

Re: OT--3

Postby SC in DC » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:30 pm

Sorry, forgot the add-ons at the bottom of page. Picked two of the best.

Homecoming dance Nov 2. "You may want to invite your best girl from home. Or you might prefer some new friend you have met here. Best not to commit yourself." (Those sophisticated sophs, such mature, worldly advice!). And, "Boarding plan for residence hall students does not begin until Tuesday September 17. (Covid restrictions??) Until then the cafeteria operates on a pay as you go basis. Figure on about $2.50 a day if you enjoy eating." (Or even less if you enjoy White Castles--ugh!)

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”