Re: Xavier no. 3 BE and top 35...?? lol

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:59 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:33 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:54 pm
X-man wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Hopefully ZFree is back for the OSU beatdown.
Hopefully ZFree gets surgery now, even if he misses the OSU game. Love his offensive game, and hopefully his glaring defensive deficiencies were due to being undersized. That being said, he struggled against 4s too, during the precious few minutes he and underutilized Griffin played together. He doesn't crouch into a stance, but plays D straight standing up with nervous feet. I'm optimistic b/c he's a hard worker, and X has great recruiters...as well as coaches, so am sure his instruction this offseason addressed that. Funny, kind of sounds like how Steele regarded Tandy's game, but one gets a 40 foot bungee cord, while the other gets a one inch Steele rope. Vegas has an over/under that Tandy's uniform will have to be washed every 3.5 games this year. I'm going to take the over.
maybe it is the attitude
Perhaps.

However, one wonders why he would welcome him back if so? Also, Steele has a history of saying many, many, many contrary statements in public, as he often does the opposite in his execution. I will say I've never seen a coach who has had such an underwhelming first three years have so many highly ranked players transfer. It almost reminds me of an AAU culture.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:23 pm

KyKy didn't look too engaged at MM. He did score 4 points but the exuberance was nothing like the other guys. The real question is if he was so good why didn't other teams offer him? Just like Miller, your buddy Chris, and even Thadd, Travis has his favorites and normally they are the guys that want to be coached and don't sulk but listen to the coaches.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
MOSQUETERO

Postby MOSQUETERO » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:24 pm

thecoach wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:37 pm
Foot issue is worrisome for a bball player. Long healing and often require extended non use. Tricky.
He went from being in a boot to being on crutches. That is worrisome.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:30 pm

The issue of long term healing with foot issues is priority one, and it almost always includes mucho "non contact" pounding on the foot for an extended period of time. It's hard to stay in any kind of basketball shape with that kind of rehab. You have to really take it easy to get things to heal properly long term or you end up back in the same spot.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:28 am

Agree Coach, we have a similar situation here with Zion Wiliamson as he broke his foot this summer and had surgery. GM David Griffin (formerly of the Cavs) said he would be ready for the regular season. Well, he was in street clothes opening night.....Griffin's comments "I said he would be ready for the regular season not necessarily the beginning of it" What a bullshit artist!! They now report Zion is a biscuit shy of 300 lbs..still not playing and it does not look good for a long time. Hope X has better fortune with Zack..
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 am

muskieman wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:23 pm
KyKy didn't look too engaged at MM. He did score 4 points but the exuberance was nothing like the other guys. The real question is if he was so good why didn't other teams offer him? Just like Miller, your buddy Chris, and even Thadd, Travis has his favorites and normally they are the guys that want to be coached and don't sulk but listen to the coaches.
Agree about Tandy at MM but i'm guessing that is just his way, He was the same way his freshman year when he was on the Big East All Freshman team. That said, wish he would seem more exuberant. Also agree about other schools not taking him. While i do believe a lot of that has to do with the fact that the rule change made it very competitive. I heard that he did however get offers from mid majors but didnt want to go that route. Bottom line here is that both Tandy and Steele have made certain commitments for one another that Tandy came back and Steele accepted him. I root for him like all players but Steele definitely seemed to have favorites-namely Adam Kunkel. I just hope that his favorites do well because they are going to play.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:47 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 am
muskieman wrote:
Agree about Tandy at MM but i'm guessing that is just his way, He was the same way his freshman year when he was on the Big East All Freshman team. That said, wish he would seem more exuberant. Also agree about other schools not taking him. While i do believe a lot of that has to do with the fact that the rule change made it very competitive. I heard that he did however get offers from mid majors but didnt want to go that route. Bottom line here is that both Tandy and Steele have made certain commitments for one another that Tandy came back and Steele accepted him. I root for him like all players but Steele definitely seemed to have favorites-namely Adam Kunkel. I just hope that his favorites do well because they are going to play.
I like Kyky too and it was sad that he did not fit the last 2 years but when you act like no one can teach you because you are too good there will always be problems. I hope that Kyky will be a spark at times and someone needs to tell him with success comes laurels because you earned it, the family could help out here but then that might be the problem. Too many family and friends whispering into a players ear can lead the player into unreality
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:52 pm

What do you mean he didn’t fit in? He was first team all big East freshmen team, but didn’t fit in? Common man! Steele chose to replace him with a “shooter” Kinkel, who actually didn’t shoot well at all. I know you didn’t play basketball, but this isn’t CYO play your best Big East players.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:47 pm
X-Expert wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 am
muskieman wrote:
I like Kyky too and it was sad that he did not fit the las 2 years but when you act like no one can teach you because you are too good there will always be problems. I hope that Kyky will be a spark at times and someone needs to tell him with success comes laurels because you earned it, the family could help out here but then that might be the problem. Too many family and friends whispering into a players ear can lead the player into unreality
That is a lot of assumptions. As I said, his mannerisms seem to be similar whether he was all Big East Freshman or last two years. I don't think anyone really knows except the team why he doesn't play. I heard Steele say before a game last year that Tandy had a great week of practice and didnt get the gold jersey "but was very close." He then said, Tandy will help the team that game. I believe it was the first game that Johnson was out and Tandy didnt play. Day before BE tourney, Steele said "we need Kyky in MSG" and he didnt play. My hope is that whatever issues that kept him off the floor (and NO ONE on this board knows the real reason) has been communicated to him and he rectifies it. I don't care of he is a cheerleader like Kunkel or the Kyky we saw as a freshman as long as he produces. Ramsey was a big time cheerleader for two years and got him no where except a couple minutes vs Butler.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:53 pm

agreed on the Tandy stuff. can't read into what you saw from an hour at MM. and really, so what if he doesn't show "emotion". some dudes just aren't built that way. doesn't make him a bad player.

we know most of the reasons why he didn't play last year - he couldn't guard the way they wanted him to and he couldn't figure out how to play within the system and within himself at the same time. KyKy is the type of player who, if he isn't scoring, probably feels like he's not contributing, and until he figures out that he doesn't HAVE TO score to contribute for our team, he probably won't see more minutes than some other dudes that understand how to do that. that's how it goes.

i hope he's figuring it out in practice because i want see him succeed - but not at the expense of losing games or doing it just because some people on this board think he should be playing over other dudes.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”