Niagara Game

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Niagara Game

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Thank you Coach Steele for firmly planted us in mediocrity. Nothing has changed since last year. I thought we were going to run, pass, and rebound. 17-18 wins
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:55 pm

On court leader? We got a W and have room for improvement...Let's move on and give coach and the players a chance to improve without ripping them.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:23 pm

joeabe wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:55 pm
On court leader? We got a W and have room for improvement...Let's move on and give coach and the players a chance to improve without ripping them.
O.K. Its just the first game. Lots of things to work on before Fri.

That said, I'm surprised there is so much room for improvement. I thought we had more talent than I saw tonight. Offensive rebounds, as mentioned by Skyhops, were almost non-existent in first half. I noted that X made its very first entry pass into the post with 1.41 left in half one. Niagara's tallest starter is 6'7", they came out to guard the three (leaving the middle wide open) and still we didn't attack the paint. Instead, our 6'11" center steps outside for two three attempts. I'm glad to see Nunge can hit the three but we need him on the glass not on the three point line. Hunter was pressing at the offensive end and I don't think we need him to score a lot of points. He can rebound and defend but In the first half, I thought his play on offense hurt us. Both Miles and Nunge got pushed around a bit---especially Miles although I like his athleticism.

Steele's halftime adjustments initially worked but the offense just lacked flow tonight. Agree with others that Steele needs to figure out his rotation. Still, it is the first game.

So, I'm going to avoid further comment on tonight's game and wait until Friday. What I'd like to see Friday is for X to push the ball offensively, take fewer threes, focus on penetration and assists and perform better on the offensive glass.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:31 pm

Miles had a nice second half and was active. I don’t want to see Hunter shoot another three this season.
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:34 pm

Terrible performance against a small mediocre team at best.0ut played out shot out coached. Poor 3pt shooting & free throws. I think I drank the kool Aid . Big improvement in all areas is needed or they will get killed by the better teams on the schedule.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:37 pm

Another ominous start to year four of the Steal, I mean Steele era. Just a few quick thoughts, but fear not, I’ll have much more insightful commentary before Fri’s titanic battle ag. another CBI quality team in Kent State.
Just a few quick observatons:

• Steele in his post game show said Niagara’s changing defenses really threw the Muskies off. Steele’s adjustment offensively and defensively? Crickets. Actually that is not fair. He used a number one pencil in the first half, and changed to number two in the 2nd.

• Hunter is a poor man’s Marshall on D, as he can guard 2-4 (some 5’s). Unfortunately, his shooting IQ and proficiency makes Goodin look like Steph Curry. Horrible, horrible shot selection, which wasn’t a precedent, since the same was seen in the D-2 scrimmage. He is a 39% and 32% shooter during his college career. He is what the opponents thought he would be. He took horrible three point shoots, two horse like fade away baseline runners, and a turn around shot which traveled 6-8 inches.

• Kunkel played a poor game, and really took to heart Steele’s sage observation that the best shot is in the first four seconds. He took two 25 ft threes like they were last second shots, but didn’t bother looking to the bench, because there were only two other guards who could have taken his place. Actually three, but KyKy had bronchitis, and let’s be honest, it wouldn’t have made a difference anyway. Speaking of which, there was a guard on last year’s team who shot much better from three point land who would have been yanked for four games with that kind of shot selection, but his name escapes me.

As usual, I’ll end on an upbeat note. Scruggs and Miles played very good games, though I don’t know how effective Miles can be playing more than 18 minutes a game against good competition. Pleasantly surprised tonight though. Nunge also played well, and provides the shot blocking presence and discipline X lacked last year in the post. Sleep tight posters, and check your notifications often for alerts of when my full, objective assessment is posted.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:38 pm

Michigan Musketeer wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:34 pm
Terrible performance against a small mediocre team at best.0ut played out shot out coached. Poor 3pt shooting & free throws. I think I drank the kool Aid . Big improvement in all areas is needed or they will get killed by the better teams on the schedule.
MM,

Sadly, an accurate take.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:41 pm

BTW,

Any word as to why Stanley didn't play? He could not have played any worse than Hunter. I hope he was just sick.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:43 pm

Looked to very much have the same uneven performance that has plagued them recently. I hope Hunter is better than what he showed tonight, but it didn't seem like IU was real concerned about hanging onto him so we'll see. Hopefully Freemantle gets healthy as this team wills struggle against bigger teams without him. Niagara just not a good test of that. Onward.

Thank goodness Scruggs came back!
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:05 pm

Was at the game tonight. A lackluster performance to say the least. My biggest worry is that I saw a lot of the same, same old. Too many quick threes, too few drives and paint touches. Hoping things change but not sure they will. I thought X played 30 minutes of really good defense, but then it disappeared. Let’s see what Friday brings.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”