Niagara Game

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Re: Niagara Game

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:23 am

Pretty much my sentiments X-Bob. All the normal disclaimers apply: (it's early - give them some time - missing Freemantle - etc.) One must admit though that was an extremely poor showing. The jury may still be out yet it seems they are nearing a verdict on our 3+ yr Coach.
But, of course, it is early.......
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:36 am

Jason Carter last night for OU. 20/10 :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ohio+bo ... z;tb2;fp;1;;
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:36 am

I came away with one take last night-we really need Freemantle. I don't think it's a close game if he plays.We had very little interior offense.I thought Miles played pretty well. He'll hopefully only get better with more playing time. Foul shooting and 3's were horrible.I don't care how well we shoot 3's in practice. That's like me saying I'm really good on the practice green.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:48 am

Skyhops Jr shoots much better in our driveway than he does in his HS games. Freemantle was really missed, but if Travis is such a great recruiter why are we stuck with two soft transfer bigs and another who is still learning the game? Neither Kunkel or Johnson did anything, which is concerning. Our basketball IQ at the end of games is terrible, which is a reflection of the used car salesmen I mean coach. My friends from IU said Hunter was a non factor and basically lost his spot in the rotation, but I think he can servieable as long as he never shoots a three again. I'm sure they will shoot well in practice today. Upset alert for Friday
whopper

Postby whopper » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:04 am

what surprised me is that 2 husky players (Citron and another) were allowed to dribble in the lane 4-5 times to a spot created space and were able to score with zero help in the ball. That and the missed foul shots made a 15 point game into a 3 pt game(really 6). Also the lefty guard was allowed to go left easily. Without Miles contribution we may not have won hard to believe. I would like to see Stanley a bit as he is just the kind of husky player that caused us big problems. Onward though but not that enjoyable and I hope Nate was not a flash in the pan last year.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:27 am

Coach said it BEST - we need FREEMANTLE badly!!!!!!
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:46 am

I believe Steele has an NBA offensive mentality..... shooting 3's relentlessly. He seems to have total belief in our shooters giving green lights always and everywhere. The post position is a lost art. I hope he is correct with this philosophy. Also, believe he is telling recruits the attractive line, they can continue shooting 3's just like AAU ball. . If we hit our shots last night we would be here singing the praises of Coach Steele. However......
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:54 am

i'm not sure how a close win at home to start the season means that the season is over, but apparently, on here, we just shouldn't play any more games because it won't matter. i don't even know why the guys will even go to practice or the coaches even try to work on anything else to try to win more games because we aren't winning another game this year. 1-29 is most likely the record at the end of the season. there's just no hope.

i'll come back to this board in March when we finish last in the Big East and are looking for a new coach.

Godspeed to everyone on this board who has to read the absolute trash/negativity/bashing that gets posted on here.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:04 am

skyhops wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:48 am
Skyhops Jr shoots much better in our driveway than he does in his HS games. Freemantle was really missed, but if Travis is such a great recruiter why are we stuck with two soft transfer bigs and another who is still learning the game? Neither Kunkel or Johnson did anything, which is concerning. Our basketball IQ at the end of games is terrible, which is a reflection of the used car salesmen I mean coach. My friends from IU said Hunter was a non factor and basically lost his spot in the rotation, but I think he can servieable as long as he never shoots a three again. I'm sure they will shoot well in practice today. Upset alert for Friday
glad to see Skyhops Jr is better than his dad, who only shoots better in his mind.

Pros of game.
X had decent D and 11 steals too bad they lost some of the intensity as the game got tight.
11 Orebs without a contribution from Jack
Miles showed some talent in the second half after getting quick fouls in the first half. He looked like he relaxed and felt more in the flow. (-7-2 is a nice stat line for his first game.
Scruggs showed he was a leader and would not let the team lose in the end and Colby proved to be a good and one with Paul.
I give a pass on Hunter although 7-9 is not a bad stat for the big guy. I think he was nervous in his first game. His shooting from the field has to improve but he was perfect from the line on a bad foul shooting night.
Jack like Hunter showed signs of being tentative but the good sign was 20 minutes on the floor...now he has to add more than minutes
X got a win and the coach could still chew on them for their shortfalls.
Cons of the game
Odem and Adam 17 and 21 minutes but the rest of their stat line is a nothing burger. Odem didn't even have an assist. I don't think this will be an ongoing concern but one of them must show up in future games.
Natestat line does not look like the stat lines from last year
Miserable shooting lines from the field to the foul line.
Question:
Stanley DNP was that because of some problem or just being cautious
Hope:
That X can get a big lead and build on it enough for us to see some of the other new guys like Ceasar and Elijah and that elusive Kyky just to make his jock sniffers happy.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:21 am

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:54 am
i'm not sure how a close win at home to start the season means that the season is over, but apparently, on here, we just shouldn't play any more games because it won't matter. i don't even know why the guys will even go to practice or the coaches even try to work on anything else to try to win more games because we aren't winning another game this year. 1-29 is most likely the record at the end of the season. there's just no hope.

i'll come back to this board in March when we finish last in the Big East and are looking for a new coach.

Godspeed to everyone on this board who has to read the absolute trash/negativity/bashing that gets posted on here.
I hope you were being sarcastic because we could use some more sanity on the board. I agree some here think what they see as negative to also be unchangeable.
Granted X shot the ball too much from the three but at the beginning of the game, they succeeded in getting the game to be played at their speed and not Niagara's speed unfortunately after X led by 13 they let Niagara change the game speed. and taking shots, not within their game plan We have seen this before in other games where a team slows the game down and we know, or some of us do, that it is easier to slow a game down than speed it up. I think if Miles had played more in the first half the way he played in the second half X may not have come away with so many empty possessions.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”