friday Kent State game

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
whopper

Re: friday Kent State game

Postby whopper » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:38 pm

the depth is now unbelievable in college hoops. For my first 10 years of fandom/playing it was UCLA vs the field. Up to about 2021 in my opinion probably 80% of outcomes were forgone conclusions especially this time of year. I would say now it is 55%. Yesterday, Dartmouth had a 20 pt lead on G-Town AT G-town, my daughter (one of 2 X grads) called and said I should watch. G-Town promptly scored a huge turn and went up 2 with 10 min to play..I think "I 've seen this movie before". The Dartmouth(not penn/princeton even harvard/yale) goes o a run and wins by 9. Brown U (with out leading scorer) goes to Tar Heels and loses by 7(Dawson Garcia from Marqutte had 7 for UNC). It never ends now and as the season goes on this will diminish but this time of year has become unbelievable. That is why UConn rout of Central Conn(I am from Conn) is concerning but time to hang on for the best 5 months in Sports IMHO
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:40 pm

Anti-Post of the year so far!!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:27 pm

Great analysis again by Mod Anti Homer. Muskieman, Kunkel has not shot well in two seasons but he does in practice allegedly.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:41 pm

was away on a vaca so did not see a second of the game. But followed ESPN game tracker. So will have to lean on board comments here. Best positive I can glean is coaching staff made some nice halftime adjustments, which is nice......
( and yes, top-notch ramblings from Anti H, A++ material) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBWcRqPesws
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:20 pm

SC, Hops, and X-Luc, I don't think I've ever said this to any posters before, but these could be the three most insightful, consecutive contributions made since I started moderating the board six years ago. It seems like yesterday when I beat out the other semi-finalist, those Siamese twins, who I believed nailed the series of grueling tasks and interviews. However, I heard the deciding factor was Muskieman not wanting to have to have to buy two meals at our monthly meetings at Shoney's.

Well done gentlemen. Keep them coming.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:45 am

only thing i will say about AH's assessment is this - you say you want them to play fast but also don't take the early 3's??? that's actually one of the times where you get a HIGH PERCENTAGE 3. when you run the floor, spot up, and your teammate comes down the middle on the "break", the D collapses and he kicks it out. usually happens within the first 5-7 seconds of the shot clock and those aren't BAD 3's. i have yet to see us, walk the ball up, throw one pass and jack up a 3. those aren't happening so these "early 3's" you're talking about in the first 5-7 seconds are NEVER happening in a half court set. 90+% of the 3's we are taking are OPEN, so let Steele figure out who should/shouldn't shoot them. it's 2 games for crying out loud. have you ever gone two games where you shot 25% from 3? i'm sure it's happened.

Kent State is a GOOD team. we played poorly at times in the first half (turnovers mostly, then D was not great). missing shots doesn't always equate to playing "poorly" and i think some on here think they are always linked. some of our best possessions on offense were zeros and not because they weren't executed correctly, but simply because we missed the GREAT shot that we got. it happens. it also doesn't mean the WRONG guy is taking that shot. the fact that we played so poorly in the first half, but guess what? we were only DOWN 5. that means we couldn't have played THAT BAD. if you read this board during a game you'd think we were down 20.

the fact is we did try to enter the post in the first half but didn't execute the passes very well so we turned it over(i saw that at least 3 times. maybe more). that was fixed in the 2nd half. our defense picked up in the 2nd half as well.

either way, no Freemantle or KyKy yet and we are 2-0. i'll TAKE IT.

let's keep getting better and move on to OSU.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:08 am

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:45 am
only thing i will say about AH's assessment is this - you say you want them to play fast but also don't take the early 3's??? that's actually one of the times where you get a HIGH PERCENTAGE 3. when you run the floor, spot up, and your teammate comes down the middle on the "break", the D collapses and he kicks it out. usually happens within the first 5-7 seconds of the shot clock and those aren't BAD 3's. i have yet to see us, walk the ball up, throw one pass and jack up a 3. those aren't happening so these "early 3's" you're talking about in the first 5-7 seconds are NEVER happening in a half court set. 90+% of the 3's we are taking are OPEN, so let Steele figure out who should/shouldn't shoot them. it's 2 games for crying out loud. have you ever gone two games where you shot 25% from 3? i'm sure it's happened.

Kent State is a GOOD team. we played poorly at times in the first half (turnovers mostly, then D was not great). missing shots doesn't always equate to playing "poorly" and i think some on here think they are always linked. some of our best possessions on offense were zeros and not because they weren't executed correctly, but simply because we missed the GREAT shot that we got. it happens. it also doesn't mean the WRONG guy is taking that shot. the fact that we played so poorly in the first half, but guess what? we were only DOWN 5. that means we couldn't have played THAT BAD. if you read this board during a game you'd think we were down 20.

the fact is we did try to enter the post in the first half but didn't execute the passes very well so we turned it over(i saw that at least 3 times. maybe more). that was fixed in the 2nd half. our defense picked up in the 2nd half as well.

and no Stanley.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:20 pm

muskieman wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:08 am
longliveskip wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:45 am

and no Stanley.
OF COURSE!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”