friday Kent State game

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

friday Kent State game

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:07 pm

It is early but Xavier looks totally out of control...too many turnovers, poor shooting, poor defense, too many charging fouls etc. Do not look very good so far
gundun

Re: friday Kent State game

Postby gundun » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:13 pm

Shooting too many 3's
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:37 pm

Wishing we had more floor leadership....a ship with a damaged rudder. when a team shoots poorly it is difficult to overcome . It magnifies all other negative issues. Kent looks much quicker .....we are hustling.....over dribbling...
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:57 pm

Maybe at some point in the half-court offense an X player could set a screen?
gundun

Postby gundun » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:03 pm

Why didn't we work it inside more against their small lineup? Granted our defense would have suffered but it was already bad.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:56 pm

The first half hustle kept X in the game and the first half with Jones and Scruggs keeping X in the game. Second half X stopped giving the ball to Kent state and when they calmed down Kent State came back to X because of the D. Jack showed us the big man we need and with Miles D two good big men. I loved it when Miles had the Point guard spinning and turning and Miles stayed with him and X got the turnover. X found some good combinations to use in the season. Kunkel's smart play and passing are all positives tonight. They may have grown up in the second half I think X found a good lineup in the second half. Negatives are Nate Johnson's shooting and not just the misses but the bad selection and taking hard shots. Still need to shoot better from the field and the threes but the foul line wasn't bad at 77%. 20 O offensive rebounds...man I would take that any game. 17 points on turnovers by X. Better than the other night so the trend is at least going in the right direction.

Coaches did a good job keeping the guys hustling

I know the negative patrol will be all over me but I'll take the win and stroll off into the night.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:16 pm

Watched the game late on DVR and I’m not sure what game some were watching but xavier got out hustled all of the first half. 13 turnovers in a half against a mid level MAC is not going to get it done. Second half much better. Odom and Miles will have to start playing better. Didn’t Kunkel shoot 45% in practice????
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:03 am

A tale of two halves. As awful as Steele and the team were in the 1st half, they were very good in executing and making adjustments in the 2nd. More to come but signing autographs for two hours after games is starting to take its toll. Steele actually called plays in the 2nd, and did a good job of subbing. Last year, it was Carter who got the extra, extra, long bungee cord, and this year, it's Kunkel. Oh what Tandy would do with those minutes.

Also, love Hunter's hustle, but if he never takes a shot outside of 16 inches again, AH will be a happy man. Congrats to Coach Steele and the boys.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:49 am

muskieman wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:56 pm
The first half hustle kept X in the game and the first half with Jones and Scruggs keeping X in the game. Second half X stopped giving the ball to Kent state and when they calmed down Kent State came back to X because of the D. Jack showed us the big man we need and with Miles D two good big men. I loved it when Miles had the Point guard spinning and turning and Miles stayed with him and X got the turnover. X found some good combinations to use in the season. Kunkel's smart play and passing are all positives tonight. They may have grown up in the second half I think X found a good lineup in the second half. Negatives are Nate Johnson's shooting and not just the misses but the bad selection and taking hard shots. Still need to shoot better from the field and the threes but the foul line wasn't bad at 77%. 20 O offensive rebounds...man I would take that any game. 17 points on turnovers by X. Better than the other night so the trend is at least going in the right direction.

I know the negative patrol will be all over me but I'll take the win and stroll off into the night.
Kunkel's smart play and passing are all positives tonight

I'm starting to shiver uncontrollably under seven blankets.
When you make seven trips to the hot dog stand in the first half, you miss a lot. Just saying.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:50 am

gundun wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:03 pm
Why didn't we work it inside more against their small lineup? Granted our defense would have suffered but it was already bad.
I'd call you Mr. Obvious, but it apparently ain't to everyone.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”