friday Kent State game

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: friday Kent State game

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:55 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:57 pm
Maybe at some point in the half-court offense an X player could set a screen?
The offense was four guys around the perimeter and Miles down low, until someone felt like hurling a trey. if anyone on the team wants to practice a rebounding drill, all they have to do is have Kunkel or Hunter take three point shots. Scruggs was completely out of control with his threes as well, but at least he is always a net positive. Three years+ of shooting poorly an far too often from threes hasn't deterred any player in Steele's era. I'm trying to think what the constant is. Posters help!
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:59 am

Got beat up in first half. Came back hard in second half. Interesting.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:16 am

what I find is alarming is the Steele's prized recruit Odom only played 7 minutes and was exposed on defense. His shot has changed and teams are baiting him to shoot. Another concern is Miles stat line. Jones, Scruggs, and Nunge came through in second half.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:31 am

skyhops wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:16 am
what I find is alarming is the Steele's prized recruit Odom only played 7 minutes and was exposed on defense. His shot has changed and teams are baiting him to shoot. Another concern is Miles stat line. Jones, Scruggs, and Nunge came through in second half.
I remember one time that they left Odem open, daring him to shoot, and instead, he looked at the shot, passed it up, and tried to drive which I was happy to see after he had missed some threes. Unfortunately, he did not score. He seems to be pressing which is why I guess he only played a little time. Miles did a lot of things but I too would like to see some more production. With all the talent it is hard to think everyone could have a great game but maybe by the end of the season everyone will be hitting on all cylinders, I still can't wait to see the frosh and Big Ben.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:26 am

I am "glass half full" this A.M. First half, last night, was a near disaster. But, Steele's halftime adjustments were nearly perfect. I have been critical of his in-game decisions in the past but today I can only compliment him.

Miles defense was pretty good and I was relieved that not only can Nunge post down low, his teammates got him the ball. I liked the overall intensity and team defense and the crowd got behind the Muskies for the first time in over a year.

Yikes! Scruggs, Johnson, Hunter + Kunkel were a combined 4/22 beyond the arc so we should expect to see more zone defenses until we demonstrate three point shooting competence. I like Kunkel's unselfishness and hard play at both ends of the court. But, he hasn't turned out to be the three point savant I expected. Last night he saw extended minutes and while I like him, that P.T. reflects, I think, his status as the tallest midget. Nate has not broken his early season slump and Odom, as noted above, is being defensed away from his strengths, toward his greatest weakness----spot up shooting. I probably would have given Tandy some minutes but Steele seemed to feel he had have little choice but to rely on Kunkel. There is still a role for Odom to play, I think. He will need to rely on his athleticism and slashing style and NOT turn the ball over.

Two weeks ago we were wondering how Steele was going to find minutes for eleven players. Last night, absent a few minutes for Odom, we relied on a seven man rotation.

I'm delighted we reversed a bad first half but concerned about our outside shooting.

Looking forward to seeing more progress against the Buckeyes. I hope we don't revert to the disjointed offense we have seen from this team through the first half last night.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:43 am

Any news on Stanley’s return? Seems like yesterday would have been a good matchup for him.
norwood44

Postby norwood44 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:49 pm

About halfway through the 2nd half, started watching Scruggs defend Carry, #3, KSU's leading scorer. Scruggs was like glue on him - great defensive effort, from what I saw.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:13 pm

I noticed that as well, Scruggs was not going to let X lose these past two games
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:07 pm

Co-mods and posters,

Sorry for the delay in sharing my thoughts about the game ag. Kent St. Being a moderator for 41 teams in 11 different sports for meager pay is taxing, but it is truly a labor of love. Disclaimer: Some of the stats may not be exact but should be close. Please feel free to correct any discrepancies.

Thoughts:

X has played three horrendous quarters against a horrible and decent mid-major. Facts tell the story as follows:

• Assist/TO ratio is .9/1. Even the Wash Gen’s was better when they played the Globe Trotters.
• Shooting way too many, poor threes (especially by guys who should decrease their number by about 75% in Kunkel and Hunter, 3-17 cumulatively), and too early in the shot clock. Result? 56 shots taken with a total of ony 14 made. That’s 25%! This formula hasn’t worked for Steele in three underwhelming years, and if X played a top 75 team in their first two games, they would be 0-2 now.
• TS is not changing defenses, not playing fast which, he should and said he would considering their depth, athleticism, and lack of running sets and executing them effectively (save for the 2nd half ag KS, where they ran sets and were +19 in the 2nd half) Will Travis learn from this????
• Odom makes me miss Q’s shooting as a pg but I love his ceiling. He should heed AH’s pre-season sage and limit his shots to within 3 feet. Hunter should probably adopt this policy as well.

KSU Game facts:

- X had 11 tos to 5 assists in the first 10 min. KSU scored 20 pts. 10 min. No changes of D or TOs by Steele.
- X was 3-16 from 3 at the 3 minute mark in the first half.

At halftime: Down by 6, 11-33% overall, 3-18 from 3 (17%), so 8-15 from 2 (53%). Down by 5. Paging Captain Obvious!!!!
Grade for Steele and coaches in first three quarters to the start the season? F

2nd half: I won’t say if Danny Peters came to talk to me at halftime, but let’s just say that I received a free Dip N Dots and 50 cents off of a soft pretzel at the end of the game.

• FG: 14-29 (48%) overall. 3 pt shooting:3-9 (33%, or twice as good as the first half). 2pt fg, 11-20. 55%. Why the change? They took fewer threes, especially from guys named Hunter and Kunkel.
They threw the ball down low to a skilled post scorer in Nunge.
They actually ran sets.
Steele did a very good job of subbing except for his irrational infatuation for Kunkel, who I think is a decent player in certain situations, though there’s another guy on the bench who could contribute a lot more.
Grade for 2nd half: A

Overall grade after two games: C-.

From this point forward:
• X needs to stop taking so many ridiculous, early threes, from the wrong people, before they explore the post. I think I’ve posted this 67 times during Steele’s tenure.
• X needs to explore the post more.
Post big guards Scruggs and Jones more.
• Kunkel and Hunter (particularly) need to heed Nancy Reagen’s advice when it comes to three point shooting: Just say no! Kunkel two in rhythm threes a game seems reasonable, and Hunter one/two games with a 46 pt or more lead seems about right.
• Use time outs, especially when you employ an AAU style offense, and considering the poor execution thus far (see assists to turnover ratio and shooting percentages).
• Play fast as he claimed he would ad nauseum. This will cut down on the ridiculous number of threes, and as Coach says, “the easiest way to score is in the first 4 seconds.” after all.
• Look for a remedy for Kyky’s bronchitis which is now going into its 11th month, and manifested when Kunkel became eligible.
• Demand the ball gets passed 23 times before a shot is taken. As he said in the preseason, “We’re going to pass the heck out of the ball!!!!”
• Don’t let players who don’t hustle in practice participate in Ice Cream Tuesdays.

To all of you negative Nellies, I have faith in Coach Steele. For those who don’t, the bandwagon will start to fill up as X’s wins will start amassing continuing this Thursday.

Seacrest out.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:19 pm

Interesting that you point out Kunkel and Hunter saying they should stop shooting the threes because the first X lead in the second half came from Kunkel and the second lead was from a Hunter three. Maybe they heard a saying from Larkin that shooters in a slump need to have a short memory and keep shooting. Granted too many threes but they learned from their first half, no doubt from coaches, and played a very good second half.

Based on your analysis of poor play but still, two wins that are positives to build on for the following games. BTW Ohio State had a bad first half against their first opponent and as the headlines said were barely able to pull out a win. The Opponent... Niagra
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”