Early... but looks like the Big East sucks this year!

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
tacitus

Early... but looks like the Big East sucks this year!

Postby tacitus » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:15 am

Sure, through only 28 games, the Big East has the best NCC record of any conference at 0.9286 and will likely have the highest conference NET once there is enough data for a stable model. And, fine, the BE is 4-0 against the B10, including wins against 2 top-ten teams.

But Villanova lost to UCLA in overtime in LA and Georgetown lost at home to Dartmouth.

Also, the best the league can do once conference play starts is .500. That is a pretty low ceiling for any league!

Plus Steele is a horrible coach who, like a used car salesman, uses all the lines that most other coaches use.

Could be a long and disappointing season for the Big East and Xavier.
Let's March!
Sonoma Muskie

Re: Early... but looks like the Big East sucks this year!

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:46 pm

Such entirely negative comments so early in the season warrants evaluation of this posters views as invalid.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:54 pm

i may be mistaken but i think the entire post is sarcasm. just my opinion.
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Do you mean facetious rather than sarcastic? A subtle but significant difference.
Sarcasim is biting. Facetious is intentional presentation of the other side of an issue in order to demonstrate the alternative view.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:06 pm

Pretty biting. I vote sarcasm. B.E. looks good, so far, against B10. I hope he hasn't jinxed us.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:26 pm

Both Seton Hall and Creighton have been undervalued by many in the media based on their performance so far. Seton Hall has playmakers and one of the biggest teams in the league, luckily we have the best defensive player in the conference (Miles) according to Steele. I hope my prediction of 7th in the league is wrong, but that is based on the last couple years and returning players.
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:07 pm

There are many possibilities in characterizing The remarks of Tacitus: uninformed, clueless & inane.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:52 pm

Ya know what I'm looking forward to? For some Used Car Salesman to post here. I want to hear what he/she has to say. And hey, maybe Anti and Muskieman could get cranked up and pitch in. Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 pm

tacitus wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:15 am
Sure, through only 28 games, the Big East has the best NCC record of any conference at 0.9286 and will likely have the highest conference NET once there is enough data for a stable model. And, fine, the BE is 4-0 against the B10, including wins against 2 top-ten teams.

But Villanova lost to UCLA in overtime in LA and Georgetown lost at home to Dartmouth.

Also, the best the league can do once conference play starts is .500. That is a pretty low ceiling for any league!

Plus Steele is a horrible coach who, like a used car salesman, uses all the lines that most other coaches use.

. Good point. X started out 11-2, and fell like a lead balloon when they started facing good competition, so early success can be fool’s gold. However, unlike Steele’s soldiers last year, our conference comrades beat top ten and five teams in Illinois and Michigan, as you noted. X also lost 6 of last 8, despite escaping the horror of playing Nova twice.
Nice point. Nova lost to the preseason no. 2 team at their place, and play several more top twenty teams before league play. Perhaps playing a challenging non-conf schedule really does help one be prepared for a moderately tough league schedule.
Also, the best the league can do once conference play starts is .500.
That is a pretty low ceiling for any league!
Spoiler alert!
Plus Steele is a horrible coach who, like a used car salesman, uses all the lines that most other coaches use
. Ok, hard to argue he has under performed, has a middle name of cliché’, is hyperbolic, inconsistent with what he says and does, personifies an AAU coach, but calling him horrible is harsh. Be better!
True, but as far as X goes, I'm praying for an anomaly, or Steele will have the dubious distinction of being in Tay Baker territory. When was that? 50 years ago?
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:19 am

Selling “previously owned” vehicles is an honorably & required occupation which facilitates the efficient allocation economic resources. The acute shortage of saleable has recently been exacerbated by wanton destructive criminal activity such a the Kenosha Wi riots with unabated arson at car lots.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”