Ohio State Game Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
longliveskip
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby longliveskip » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:22 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:30 am
Not sure what the coaches had to do with the game besides a few good plays after timeouts. Miles and Hunter cannot be on the floor at the same time. Steele finally realized the Nunge and Odom were the correct formula. Our aggressiveness and dribble drives won this game not Nunge/Hunter/Kunkel shooting 3’s. If Steele thinks that Miles is the best defensive player in the BE then I think he is smoking some of AH’s “medicinal” grass.
i'd love to digest the first sentence of this and just rant, but i won't and just say that, no matter how big of a win we have, it appears that Steele and the staff basically didn't do much of anything to affect this outcome. it's unreal to me the amount of outrage Steele will get when we lose (it will happen) but can't seem to gain any support when we get a HUGE win. how about this: Miles and Hunter CAN be on the floor at the same time and they WILL BE because we are 3-0 with that happening. i'm guessing that will change a bit when Freemantle is back but that's fine that these guys are getting this type of game experience because of it. I don't think Steele ever said Miles is the best defensive player in the BE....he said he CAN be. Nunge's health (not necessarily back to 100% yet) may be a factor as to why Miles is starting but i'm sure it also has to do with how well he's practicing. so he had a bad game because of foul trouble? every big man we've ever had has gone through a few of those. it's his 3rd game starting in an unreal atmosphere so i'm guessing the his adrenaline got the better of him at times. he will learn from that.

take the W and give credit all around where it is due, including Steele and the coaching staff.
skyhops
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby skyhops » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:33 pm

I’ve course I’m happy with the when just pointing out that we did it when Miles and Hunter were on the bench. Nunge is a difference maker and I even Freemantle and Stanley come back Miles can be a backup. We won because we played solid defense, took the ball to basket and rebounded. I’ll praise Steele when he can finish above .500 in the BE and take us back to the tourney. Miles is #1 in fouls per minute in NCAA.
AirJordan
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby AirJordan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:34 pm

Skip - I agree. I have, at times, been highly critical of Steele for some of his game decisions. Last night he made a bunch of good calls. He pulled Hunter when Hunter deserved to be pulled, managed playing time for Nunge and Miles after Miles got into foul trouble. BTW, love Miles defensive intensity. Don't know if he is destined to become the best defensive player in B.E. but he will be a good one! Steele's use of timeouts and his play calling late in the game, were instrumental to the win. Finally, the defensive intensity last night was unreal---if it continues, this team just might become one of our best defensive teams ever.

I'll give Steele latitude on the three ball. His overall decision making was good enough that if he gives Nunge + Kunkal the green light, so be it. At the start of this year, I really thought this team (especially Kunkal + Nate) would kill it from behind the arc. Needless to say, I'm wondering if I also was somehow slipped some of that medicinal herb from AH.

But, evidence be damned---I'll double down and say I think this team is way better than a 20% three ball team. And, they will demonstrate that soon. They better or we are toast in the B.E.

Please remember though, these first three games were all at home and last night likely would not have gone our way at a venue other than Cintas. Still, the success we have, so far, seems to demonstrate that Steele has grown in the job.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:18 pm

Was oot last night so had to watch the game on my phone while at a function. Saw most of it, and am looking forward to stopping by Muskieman's late tonight as he DVRed it for me. Hope he bought some diet orange Fanta as he always does . More observations as I sit in the airport:

-Saw on Twitter that Nunge didn't score on the O-Mara, low post iso play where he back screened his defender from the AZ game. It was a slip screen, and great call by MY COACH, who put on a clinic calling plays in the last five minutes. The other great play was the double screen by Nunge and Jones on Scrugg's dunk.
-X won because of their two point shooting (51%), rebounding edge + (Nunge & Jones collected 60% of them), and great D. They were almost done in by the thing that has plagued X all yr , and in the previous three: poor shot selection, especially too many threes, and too many from the wrong people . That has been Steele's Achille's Heel. Everyone obviously has the green light. Q, Marshall, Kunkel, Hunter, Nunge....and the list goes on. Actually, Naji ,Kunkel and Nunge are decent shooters, if they would only take them in rhythm (Nunge did last night), and in limited attempts. None of them were/are good enough to average more than 3 open treys a game. Only Jones should have the green light. Steele obviously disagrees.
-I like every other part of Kunkel's game except his shot selection. He creates and passes well, is pesky on defense, and drives to the hole well.
-I do wish Kyky would get some time, especially when OSU went to the zone.
-OSU is a very good team, and Liddel is a lottery pick. This will be a rare, high quality non-conference win for X. Congrats to Steele for popping his grape.
-X beat a very good team without one of their top offensive players. When Free comes back, they can have 3 very good scoring options in various combinations.
-There ain't 10 better players in this league better than Jones, who also happens to be the best player on the team. His defense on Liddel last night was very impressive.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:23 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:31 pm
Yeeee-Hawww! Come on, that was exciting and eXhilarating. We snipe and critique 24/7/365 but moments like this need to be savored.
Energy was fab. Toughness off the charts - we were 40 minute warriors tonight. As a coach or fan, that's all you can ask. Agree with Sonoma that shot selection could be a theme at next practice, but about my only critique. Steele did well. I disagree with AH that Holtman bailed us out. 2-3 zone was working its magic, but finally, we wised up and started running the O thru Colby who was working the middle near FT line. Two quick buckets and 5 pts later he switched back to man. IMHO we dictated that by those two possessions which I believe pushed lead back to 7.
Anywho---- back to my own internal orgasmic celebration. G'Night all. H-U-G-E win!!
I disagree with AH that Holtman bailed us out. 2-3 zone was working its magic, but finally, we wised up and started running the O thru Colby who was working the middle near FT line. Two quick buckets and 5 pts later he switched back to man.
I could be wrong, but think that OSU played zone after X's 5 point run, and Kunkel missed a corner 3. I'll see when I re-watch the game. Regardless, X has been a horrendous three point shooting team all year, and a very good two point shooting team. I would have packed the lane, and given anyone not named Jones an open trey. I would have parted the proverbial red sea if the ball went to Kunkel.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:31 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:13 am
points of interest from last night.

We all know Jack had a good to great game 14 points and 14 rebounds in 32 minutes and most important a tip of the final inbounds pass to Paul. I hope it is not the Ohio State thing because his three best games have come against the Buckeyes. Negative the three-point players with no one inside

Miles only played 9 minutes with 1 block. Appears he needs to calm down but his adrenalin must have really pumping last night because he had 2 fouls before X got in double digits. I give him a pass because I am sure he is excited about getting into games after sitting on the bench for the past couple of years. Once he gets over it I expect him to be a good twin towers partner when X needs a big lineup. Thinking Seton Hall.

Jones may have had an off night for him offense wise but he did hit two big medium-range shots that forced Ohio State out of their zone and he added 12 rebounds (6 being offensive) and some sound defense on EJ

Nate while still having off shooting from the three he did shoot 40% from three and 55% from the field because he only missed 1 shot inside the 3 point line. His passing was very good and lead to Miles dunk in the early part of the game.

Odom shot 67% and took no threes. I am sure AH considers it a Positive. I do think he made a step in the right direction and his drives certainly put pressure on osu,

Hunter... so far his contribution for X has been defense and last night his 5 rebounds and his defense were helpful. I hope his offense picks up because there will be times when X needs it.

Kunkel contributed 10 points and I thought played decent D His percentage shooting is a mystery but the season is early and his smart plays X's overall play. His layup after and Odom and Scruggs layup have osu confused as to what guy was going to drive next.

Speaking of drives to the basket it is great to see X try for the high percentage drive.

Most important.. The coaches, I think, had one of their better games last night. They never let the game get out of hand and pushed enough of the right buttons to keep X in the lead throughout the game. Their defensive plan worked as osu's best player E.J. Liddell to his lowest output for the season, while osu shot 37% for the game.

While osu doesn't seem to have all the answers yet I believe their coaches will figure it out. As Holtmann said "Honestly, it was the glass tonight. It the was the glass, and our inability in the first half to get the kind of quality shot we need to." Ohio State was out-rebounded 43-35. And X had 16 versus osu 11 offensive rebounds

Scruggs said. "This win was for us, but it's also for the alumni. We won this game for them."

All this means nothing if they come out and don't play with the same intensity on Sunday against Norfolk State or
not play well over Thanksgiving

All X fans need to be osu fans for the rest of the season
Hunter... so far his contribution for X has been defense and last night his 5 rebounds and his defense were helpful. I hope his offense picks up because there will be times when X needs it
. Agree on your points re: his D and rebounding, but for the love of God, please don't mention Hunter and offense in the same sentence again.
Most important.. The coaches, I think, had one of their better games last night. They never let the game get out of hand and pushed enough of the right buttons to keep X in the lead throughout the game. Their defensive plan worked as osu's best player E.J. Liddell to his lowest output for the season, while osu shot 37% for the game
. Agreed.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:35 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:30 am
Not sure what the coaches had to do with the game besides a few good plays after timeouts. Miles and Hunter cannot be on the floor at the same time. Steele finally realized the Nunge and Odom were the correct formula. Our aggressiveness and dribble drives won this game not Nunge/Hunter/Kunkel shooting 3’s. If Steele thinks that Miles is the best defensive player in the BE then I think he is smoking some of AH’s “medicinal” grass.
Hops,

Do you always have to make papaya juice out of lemons? Great defensive strategy putting Jones on Liddell, and kudos to Steele for recognizing that Hunter, whose defensive skillset I like, was becoming too much of a liability with his painful treys and turnovers. Kunkel still plays too much, but thought it was a well coached game overall.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:36 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:22 pm
skyhops wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:30 am
Not sure what the coaches had to do with the game besides a few good plays after timeouts. Miles and Hunter cannot be on the floor at the same time. Steele finally realized the Nunge and Odom were the correct formula. Our aggressiveness and dribble drives won this game not Nunge/Hunter/Kunkel shooting 3’s. If Steele thinks that Miles is the best defensive player in the BE then I think he is smoking some of AH’s “medicinal” grass.
i'd love to digest the first sentence of this and just rant, but i won't and just say that, no matter how big of a win we have, it appears that Steele and the staff basically didn't do much of anything to affect this outcome. it's unreal to me the amount of outrage Steele will get when we lose (it will happen) but can't seem to gain any support when we get a HUGE win. how about this: Miles and Hunter CAN be on the floor at the same time and they WILL BE because we are 3-0 with that happening. i'm guessing that will change a bit when Freemantle is back but that's fine that these guys are getting this type of game experience because of it. I don't think Steele ever said Miles is the best defensive player in the BE....he said he CAN be. Nunge's health (not necessarily back to 100% yet) may be a factor as to why Miles is starting but i'm sure it also has to do with how well he's practicing. so he had a bad game because of foul trouble? every big man we've ever had has gone through a few of those. it's his 3rd game starting in an unreal atmosphere so i'm guessing the his adrenaline got the better of him at times. he will learn from that.

take the W and give credit all around where it is due, including Steele and the coaching staff.
LLS, as usual, I agree with you.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:39 pm

AirJordan wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:34 pm
Skip - I agree. I have, at times, been highly critical of Steele for some of his game decisions. Last night he made a bunch of good calls. He pulled Hunter when Hunter deserved to be pulled, managed playing time for Nunge and Miles after Miles got into foul trouble. BTW, love Miles defensive intensity. Don't know if he is destined to become the best defensive player in B.E. but he will be a good one! Steele's use of timeouts and his play calling late in the game, were instrumental to the win. Finally, the defensive intensity last night was unreal---if it continues, this team just might become one of our best defensive teams ever.

I'll give Steele latitude on the three ball. His overall decision making was good enough that if he gives Nunge + Kunkal the green light, so be it. At the start of this year, I really thought this team (especially Kunkal + Nate) would kill it from behind the arc. Needless to say, I'm wondering if I also was somehow slipped some of that medicinal herb from AH.

But, evidence be damned---I'll double down and say I think this team is way better than a 20% three ball team. And, they will demonstrate that soon. They better or we are toast in the B.E.

Please remember though, these first three games were all at home and last night likely would not have gone our way at a venue other than Cintas. Still, the success we have, so far, seems to demonstrate that Steele has grown in the job.
Johnson's three ball will be fine. I almost have the same confidence in him as I did with Bluiett. Pure stroke, and his history proves it.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests