Ohio State Game Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Sonoma Muskie

Re: Ohio State Game Thread

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:14 pm

As a 2.5 pt under dog X did well winning by 6 at Cintas. To go deep in March tourney play better ball security & improved shot selection Is needed.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:12 pm

Quick thoughts.

-Great defensive effort by X.
-Steele coached a v good game overall.
- Voluntary Lent should start on 11-19, and both Hunter and Kunkel should give up shooting threes.\
-Jack Nunge is to X this year, what Hankins was to X four years ago.
-Holtman bailed X out by getting out of the zone.
-I hope Kyky recovers from malaria soon. I saw him sitting in a mosquito net on the bench.

More to come.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:31 pm

Yeeee-Hawww! Come on, that was exciting and eXhilarating. We snipe and critique 24/7/365 but moments like this need to be savored.
Energy was fab. Toughness off the charts - we were 40 minute warriors tonight. As a coach or fan, that's all you can ask. Agree with Sonoma that shot selection could be a theme at next practice, but about my only critique. Steele did well. I disagree with AH that Holtman bailed us out. 2-3 zone was working its magic, but finally, we wised up and started running the O thru Colby who was working the middle near FT line. Two quick buckets and 5 pts later he switched back to man. IMHO we dictated that by those two possessions which I believe pushed lead back to 7.
Anywho---- back to my own internal orgasmic celebration. G'Night all. H-U-G-E win!!
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:19 am

Just the 3rd game of the season leading a good Big 10 team OSU wire to wire winning by 6. A very good showing, a solid performance to build on leading to what could be a great year. At this stage one cannot realistically have expected more.
norwood44

Postby norwood44 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:17 am

Students were on top last night, initiating great atmosphere. Band played the Michigan fight song during a timeout and students wore T-shirts that said THE Xavier Musketeers.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:41 am

HA !
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 am

here are my thoughts:

1. wish i was at the game. atmosphere seemed comparable to a shootout or a Jimmy Carter game.

2. we didn't shoot the ball well from 3. didn't really see any bad ones but i am starting to move towards the "Jerome Hunter doesn't need to shoot 3's" crowd. Kunkel is going to be fine. seems mental for him. all the other ones seemed wide open. If Kunkel and Nate are shooting the majority of our 3's then great. they should.

3. we did some things that on the stat sheet usually = WIN. outrebounded them by 8. made more FT's than they attempted (while shooting over 80% ourselves), and only had 11 turnovers while forcing them into 13. those are recipes for success. we are going to shoot the ball better. our defensive energy/relentlessness and aggressiveness on the boards was the difference, along with having a dude, when the game gets close at the end, who can just flat out "get it done".

4. offense seemed way better/more rhythm/ball movement was better. our best possession was when someone drove, kicked to corner, then two more passes to Colby at the top for a wide open 3. it was beautiful.

5. Scruggs' left-handed dunk and Nate's behind the back pass early in the game should both have made SC Top Ten Plays.

nice win, boys.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:13 am

points of interest from last night.

We all know Jack had a good to great game 14 points and 14 rebounds in 32 minutes and most important a tip of the final inbounds pass to Paul. I hope it is not the Ohio State thing because his three best games have come against the Buckeyes. Negative the three-point players with no one inside

Miles only played 9 minutes with 1 block. Appears he needs to calm down but his adrenalin must have really pumping last night because he had 2 fouls before X got in double digits. I give him a pass because I am sure he is excited about getting into games after sitting on the bench for the past couple of years. Once he gets over it I expect him to be a good twin towers partner when X needs a big lineup. Thinking Seton Hall.

Jones may have had an off night for him offense wise but he did hit two big medium-range shots that forced Ohio State out of their zone and he added 12 rebounds (6 being offensive) and some sound defense on EJ

Nate while still having off shooting from the three he did shoot 40% from three and 55% from the field because he only missed 1 shot inside the 3 point line. His passing was very good and lead to Miles dunk in the early part of the game.

Odom shot 67% and took no threes. I am sure AH considers it a Positive. I do think he made a step in the right direction and his drives certainly put pressure on osu,

Hunter... so far his contribution for X has been defense and last night his 5 rebounds and his defense were helpful. I hope his offense picks up because there will be times when X needs it.

Kunkel contributed 10 points and I thought played decent D His percentage shooting is a mystery but the season is early and his smart plays X's overall play. His layup after and Odom and Scruggs layup have osu confused as to what guy was going to drive next.

Speaking of drives to the basket it is great to see X try for the high percentage drive.

Most important.. The coaches, I think, had one of their better games last night. They never let the game get out of hand and pushed enough of the right buttons to keep X in the lead throughout the game. Their defensive plan worked as osu's best player E.J. Liddell to his lowest output for the season, while osu shot 37% for the game.

While osu doesn't seem to have all the answers yet I believe their coaches will figure it out. As Holtmann said "Honestly, it was the glass tonight. It the was the glass, and our inability in the first half to get the kind of quality shot we need to." Ohio State was out-rebounded 43-35. And X had 16 versus osu 11 offensive rebounds

Scruggs said. "This win was for us, but it's also for the alumni. We won this game for them."

All this means nothing if they come out and don't play with the same intensity on Sunday against Norfolk State or
not play well over Thanksgiving

All X fans need to be osu fans for the rest of the season
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:22 am

longliveskip wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 am
here are my thoughts:

1. wish i was at the game. atmosphere seemed comparable to a shootout or a Jimmy Carter game.

2. we didn't shoot the ball well from 3. didn't really see any bad ones but i am starting to move towards the "Jerome Hunter doesn't need to shoot 3's" crowd. Kunkel is going to be fine. seems mental for him. all the other ones seemed wide open. If Kunkel and Nate are shooting the majority of our 3's then great. they should.

3. we did some things that on the stat sheet usually = WIN. outrebounded them by 8. made more FT's than they attempted (while shooting over 80% ourselves), and only had 11 turnovers while forcing them into 13. those are recipes for success. we are going to shoot the ball better. our defensive energy/relentlessness and aggressiveness on the boards was the difference, along with having a dude, when the game gets close at the end, who can just flat out "get it done".

4. offense seemed way better/more rhythm/ball movement was better. our best possession was when someone drove, kicked to corner, then two more passes to Colby at the top for a wide open 3. it was beautiful.

5. Scruggs' left-handed dunk and Nate's behind the back pass early in the game should both have made SC Top Ten Plays.

nice win, boys.
The atmosphere was good but could have been better. All credit must go to the students---they wore white and were amped. The best seats in lower section across from the team benches, predictably were late arrivals, didn't participate in the "white out" and were less vocal and less enthusiastic. Just once, I'd like to move those folks to the end and give their seats to the students. The students deserve more seats anyway. They made Cintas rock!

You must have missed Hunter. He forced the action early on and threw up the worst three of the year, so far. Not picking on the young man but it was god-awful.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:30 am

Not sure what the coaches had to do with the game besides a few good plays after timeouts. Miles and Hunter cannot be on the floor at the same time. Steele finally realized the Nunge and Odom were the correct formula. Our aggressiveness and dribble drives won this game not Nunge/Hunter/Kunkel shooting 3’s. If Steele thinks that Miles is the best defensive player in the BE then I think he is smoking some of AH’s “medicinal” grass.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”