Norfolk state thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Norfolk state thread

Postby skyhops » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:22 pm

I don’t think anyone on this board objects to Kunkel shooting threes when he is set since he is supposed to be our best three point shooter. I think we would all be happy never to see Hunter shoot a 3 since I didn’t even see him make one in warmup. Hopefully AK (As Travis calls him) can do it in a tight game. I still want to know about about turning it over again and tearing his Jersey down the middle and staying in the game. Nice to see Stanley and KyKy back.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:37 pm

Yes, skyhops, it was nice to see Ben Stanley play.
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 pm

This exhibition reminds one of a cat playing with a doomed mouse.
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:43 pm

I would not even turn on the remote to see the start of this game. Better to press the snooze button & roll over for another hour of Z’s.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:06 pm

More mice please.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:27 am

muskieman wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:49 pm
The only embarrassment in the game were the so-called "fans" not showing up. And the corporate tickets are the worse. 88-48 final
hey - i don't know if the game was "sold out" but the crowd was into it and i'm gonna guess attendance was around 9400 or so? not sure if it was announced or not.

you do know that the students are GONE on break until January 15th, right? just making sure.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:37 am

i didn't even look to see who NSU has played but i know they came in 5-0 and i believe had beaten Bowling Green.

either way, there was no letdown/hangover from OSU win. our guys were ready from the get-go and Nate/Kunkel had it going from the behind the arc. the best thing i saw was the passing. extra pass was made so many times and the RIGHT pass was made for open shots/great looks and they finally WENT IN.

loved seeing how hyped the team was for Stanley when he came in and scored a minute later. looks like these dudes really play for each other.

KyKy saw some minutes and had two assists in the time he saw. hopefully he's getting his legs/wind back so he can keep earning more minutes.

Colby had a double-double at halftime. dude is special.

nice to see Cesar get in a bit.

Odom played well but i bet he had 5-6 turnovers. 3 were at the end of the first half just trying to force something that wasn't there. i don't think we even had a turnover as a team until under 5 minutes left in the first half. some of the turnovers were because you could see players trying to force it to Edwards when he came in to get him a bucket. i don't mind those. shows how unselfish they are and how much they wanna get other guys involved.

I'm am now the #1 Fan and CEO of the "Jerome Hunter Should NEVER Shoot 3's" club. membership has it's privileges so feel free to send me a message and i'll email you an application. or just reply to this post and say you want in and you can be in. either works.

hopefully this momentum carries us into Brooklyn. a chance for a couple nice W's.

prediction is that we are #23 in the AP Poll today.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:45 am

Skip - good points worth reviewing..............

I like Hunter's game but he should just stop with the three pointers and forcing the action. Made some nice passes on the break but needs to rein it in.

You are correct about Odom's turnovers but I'll take the bad with the good. Odom's best role seems to be what he is doing-----coming off the bench and pushing tempo fast. That will mean more turnovers (he still had some unforced errors) but I really like how he speeds up the game.

The characteristic of this team I most like is its unselfishness. I think, first of all, that reflects directly on the quality of the individuals on this team. They want each other to succeed and they want to win. But, credit must also go to Steele for recruiting them and for emphasizing passing, team defense and giving players the green light to shoot the three even when many of us on this board questioned that part of our game.

This team really has passed the heck out of the ball.

I recognize we are only four games into the season and conference play still down the road. But, as one who has been critical of Steele's coaching + leadership, this year, so far, he has done a very good job. For me, the ultimate proof will be avoiding a year end collapse. But, I like what I've seen.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:37 am
i didn't even look to see who NSU has played but i know they came in 5-0 and i believe had beaten Bowling Green.

either way, there was no letdown/hangover from OSU win. our guys were ready from the get-go and Nate/Kunkel had it going from the behind the arc. the best thing i saw was the passing. extra pass was made so many times and the RIGHT pass was made for open shots/great looks and they finally WENT IN.

loved seeing how hyped the team was for Stanley when he came in and scored a minute later. looks like these dudes really play for each other.

KyKy saw some minutes and had two assists in the time he saw. hopefully he's getting his legs/wind back so he can keep earning more minutes.

Colby had a double-double at halftime. dude is special.

nice to see Cesar get in a bit.

Odom played well but i bet he had 5-6 turnovers. 3 were at the end of the first half just trying to force something that wasn't there. i don't think we even had a turnover as a team until under 5 minutes left in the first half. some of the turnovers were because you could see players trying to force it to Edwards when he came in to get him a bucket. i don't mind those. shows how unselfish they are and how much they wanna get other guys involved.

I'm am now the #1 Fan and CEO of the "Jerome Hunter Should NEVER Shoot 3's" club. membership has it's privileges so feel free to send me a message and i'll email you an application. or just reply to this post and say you want in and you can be in. either works.

hopefully this momentum carries us into Brooklyn. a chance for a couple nice W's.

prediction is that we are #23 in the AP Poll today.
9 minutes and I hope he gets some more when he is ready to contribute. I cringe when Hunter takes a three but he does drive the ball after he has taken a three. I think he is pressing to be a scorer and needs to relax in his offensive game. Having said that, I think he has helped in other ways through his D, how he starts the fast break, his rebounding, and his 6 assists in the last game. His length and big body have been a plus for him and X out on the court. I hope his shooting comes as the season progresses. I'd be happy with 7-10 points a night.

Going over the box scores I saw something unusual in assists to turnovers Seven muskies had the same number of assists to turnovers
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:10 pm

agree, Hunter is pressing a bit, but I like his energy. Seems he brings more positives than negatives. Anyone know if he ever hits a 3 in practice or is it more of the same? Stanley & Cesare were a pleasant surprise to work in a few minutes. As for Kyky, I have no idea what the young man has been going through this pre-season to set him so far behind. I like him and root hard. But seems he added about 5 to 7 pounds of additional weight. Hopefully all muscle... His handle also still seems a bit too loose for a guard at this level. Would love to be wrong, but could turn out to be a high school wonder that cannot transcend to the upper D-1 level. All in all though, Sunday's performance by this group was off the charts impressive coming off the glorious Buckeye thrashing.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”