UC

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
gym from delhi

UC

Postby gym from delhi » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:21 pm

Anyone catching the joke #14 Illinois losing by 21 to UC? There shouldn’t be any rankings until Dec 1, the old starting date for college BB.
X-lucidity

Re: UC

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:58 pm

True, that said, the Bearcats look solid. Even More concerning, they look “ well coached”.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:40 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:58 pm
True, that said, the Bearcats look solid. Even More concerning, they look “ well coached”.
Bingo! Wes Miller is the real deal. 38 and in his 11th season as a head coach. He's not going to let one player beat him. That said, Cincy's ball pressure outside and size inside are a problem. I'll be curious if they take Arkansas down as well.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:47 am

gym from delhi wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:21 pm
Anyone catching the joke #14 Illinois losing by 21 to UC? There shouldn’t be any rankings until Dec 1, the old starting date for college BB.
Not sure about that. There are a ton of unknowns and intangible variables, and of course the teams have to play the games. But did you know that on average only 4 teams ranked in the pre-season do not make the tournament? If you ask any expert (in anything) to rank the top 25 performers (of anything) based solely on informed expectations and zero performance data, 84% accuracy is pretty darn good!

One possibility is that Illinois is way overrated: Maybe they have raw athleticism and talent, but lack other important attributes like chemistry and coaching. The other possibility is that they are in fact a tournament-bound team, but two of our future opponents (Cincinnati and Marquette) are just better.

Time will tell...
Let's March!
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:41 pm

Arkansas had to go down to the wire to barely beat UC. They look like the real deal to me. The Shootout is going to be very difficult to win.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:29 am

Rube Goldberg’s theorem as applied to Dan Delaney’s dictum states there is over a 84% probability of accuracy of all predictions arrived at after consumption of a Burger, a Moody Hudepohl, a Schoenling, then a Bavarian topped off finally by a Wiedeman in that exact order at 12 midnight Saturday dated March 17th.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:56 am

Sonoma Muskie wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:29 am
Rube Goldberg’s theorem as applied to Dan Delaney’s dictum states there is over a 84% probability of accuracy of all predictions arrived at after consumption of a Burger, a Moody Hudepohl, a Schoenling, then a Bavarian topped off finally by a Wiedeman in that exact order at 12 midnight Saturday dated March 17th.
that was my mistake I had the Wiedeman before the Bavarian...good to know
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:05 pm

Wes Milles is an outstanding coach. The team is very good defensively, but limited offensively. They have a young 6'11" PF, who I think is going to be very good. Great foot work, and knows how to work the post. They have no dynamic scorers, but several decent ones. Miller did as good a job working the transfer portal as Steele did in his first year. Other than Davenport, I'd let any of their players fire up treys. I don't know what their recruiting class looks like, but with Miller, this team will have to be reckoned with. X's nearly two decade run of owning UC is going to become more and more difficult.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”