Iowa State game thread 11/24/2021

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Iowa State game thread 11/24/2021

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 pm

X: 3-20 tonight on three point attempts tonight. Hunter 0-6; 10% for the yr. 3-12 overall tonight. For the year now. Scruggs 1-5 tonight on treys, and 28% for the year. Also, was 1-14 overall. Random highlight below.

https://twitter.com/XavierMBB/status/14 ... 6449304581
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:18 pm

AH,

I can't take credit for a first post but can't seem to log in on my old account. Tried requesting a password reset but no luck. I do not recall getting booted but it is certainly possible. I was granted an absence at 1 point but was back after.

1 thing I missed in my comments is that until Tandy proves he is the player some of you believe him to be, he isn't. I get the frustration that he isn't given a chance but I saw him enough last year to believe he isn't the answer. It is possible that he is the type of player that needs significant minutes to adapt to the game but that isn't realistic when there is sufficient depth. Kunk is better defensively and has better game awareness if the 2 are similar shooters. We will need to see if Kunk is a legit shooter as he was not last year and Tandy should have been given more opportunities on those off nights. Side question is whether Kunk is a streak shooter that can struggle until he is suddenly hot or if he is either hot or cold on a given day. Knowing that matters for how he should be coached. I did love the assists from Tandy the other night as well as the limited shots. That shows progress. Not forcing the action and finding teammates is huge in earning playing time. He probably should have been given an opportunity early in this game when things were going poorly.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:54 pm

I wouldn't get to worked up over the loss. First real road games are often not pretty and this obviously was not. Good news is if Nunge can stay healthy he looks to be solid provided he doesn't wear down as the season goes on. I do not really think this team is going to get away from it's wildly inconsistent perimeter shooting. These guys at this point in their careers are who they are. Hopefully Steele gets a clue and puts the brakes on taking as many as they seem to be inclined to launch. Bad news Osu lost again so hopefully that win doesn't get diluted.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 pm

pdxmuskie wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:18 pm
AH,
I can't take credit for a first post but can't seem to log in on my old account. Tried requesting a password reset but no luck. I do not recall getting booted but it is certainly possible. I was granted an absence at 1 point but was back after.

1 thing I missed in my comments is that until Tandy proves he is the player some of you believe him to be, he isn't.
PD, being the team's best offensive player and making the All BE Freshman Team didn't validate his abilities in your eyes his 1st year? I know he is no savior, and should not start, but also know no one can score in bunches like he can, and there are times when that is needed, like tonight. I also believe Steele has a personal animus against, and I'm sure some of it is justified. However, if irreparable, why did he take him back, knowing what he thought of him as a player? Too bad Kyky's dad isn't an influential booster. Also, when you are now in year four of taking a program who was a NCAA tourney staple and SW 16 regular into basketball irrelevance, it is time to take SOME personal accountability and make a damn philosophical adjustment like: Not all threes by any player at any time at any score is ok by him. That is obviously his philosophy. I get the frustration that he isn't given a chance but I saw him enough last year to believe he isn't the answer. Luckily Steele didn't apply the same measuring stick to Kunkel, whose numbers were completely abhorrent. Otherwise, he would be glued to the pine as well. I like Kunkel, but he has been given 10x the chances Tandy has [b
]t is possiblIe that he is the type of player that needs significant minutes to adapt to the game but that isn't realistic when there is sufficient depth Kunk is better defensively and has better game awareness if the 2 are similar shooters. We will need to see if Kunk is a legit shooter as he was not last year and Tandy should have been given more opportunities on those off nights.
Agree with the latter, but not giving Tandy more PT with Covid around, and Odom being offensively challenged is symptomatic of the mismanagement of Steele as CEO of the program in three years. It reared its ugly head tonight. It's why he started smartly giving Miles minutes starting late last year. When Free went down, X would have been in serious trouble otherwise. .
Side question is whether Kunk is a streak shooter that can struggle He is until he is suddenly hot or if he is either hot or cold on a given day. Knowing that matters for how he should be coached. I did love the assists from Tandy the other night as well as the limited shots. That shows progress. Not forcing the action and finding teammates is huge in earning playing time. He probably should have been given an opportunity early in this game when things were going poorly.

I appreciate your perspective. I truly think, as stated, that Tandy is simply an example of the consistent, personal, mismanagement of a person whose acumen and skillset more aligns with a H.S. coach. I'm not denigrating him just for the sake of. I loved the hire initially. Seems like a good guy, intense, great recruiter, and was mentored by two very successful coaches. My dilemma. Do I root for X to sneak into the tourney to buy Steele 3-4 more years of mediocrity, or hope X falters (which would kill my winter) so they rip the band aid and bring some one in like Wes Miller? I won't even say where I am now. He has underachieved with the talent level three straight years, and the university cannot keep watching the brand continue to tarnish, imo. Ed Orgeron won the CFP two years ago, is at 500 this year I believe, and has already been fired. They get it.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 pm

thecoach wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:54 pm
I wouldn't get to worked up over the loss. First real road games are often not pretty and this obviously was not. Good news is if Nunge can stay healthy he looks to be solid provided he doesn't wear down as the season goes on. I do not really think this team is going to get away from it's wildly inconsistent perimeter shooting. These guys at this point in their careers are who they are. Hopefully Steele gets a clue and puts the brakes on taking as many as they seem to be inclined to launch. Bad news Osu lost again so hopefully that win doesn't get diluted.
It's not the singular loss Coach, it's that we've heard this broken record over and over and over again, where guys like Goodin, Carter, Marshall....now Hunter, and anyone else with a pulse play carnival shooting during games. Steele does not learn from his mistakes. If he was a defensive coordinator against Mahomes, I truly believe he would bring his safeties up, have eight in the box, and leave the cornerbacks on an island. He is the personification of an AAU coach, who worked his tail off, deserved, and got a seat at the grown up's table. It's time to have him eat with the kids again. The experiment failed.

Coach, if you had an 18 yr old, highly recruited son, would you let Steele coach him for four years?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:49 am

First real road loss? This is our first road game and we will most likely loss our next few games. I don’t expect those like MM to get it because they haven’t played the game but to be out hustled and coaches by a team that won 2 games last year is unacceptable. There were many times last night that we had a lineup where no one could make an an outside shot on offense. Scruggs was terrible, Odom can’t shoot, Hunter shouldn’t shoot, and Miles can only score when down 12. They ran the same offensive set yet the UCS could not figure it out and we got burned. Once again four seasons and never ranked in Top 25 beyond Nov/Dec. look forward to hearing the excuses from MM and others
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50 am

some people just cannot make the 3 point shot but they just keep shooting the 3s !!!! Drive the paint and make the shot or get fouled...best play.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:18 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 pm
thecoach wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:54 pm
It's not the singular loss Coach, it's that we've heard this broken record over and over and over again, where guys like Goodin, Carter, Marshall....now Hunter, and anyone else with a pulse play carnival shooting during games. Steele does not learn from his mistakes. If he was a defensive coordinator against Mahomes, I truly believe he would bring his safeties up, have eight in the box, and leave the cornerbacks on an island. He is the personification of an AAU coach, who worked his tail off, deserved, and got a seat at the grown up's table. It's time to have him eat with the kids again. The experiment failed.

Coach, if you had an 18 yr old, highly recruited son, would you let Steele coach him for four years?
He wouldn't be my first choice just because I've not seen from him or the staff the consistent ability to bring kids along with steady noticeable improvement. X has also lost a lot of guys as everyone has to the portal which makes it even harder to evaluate. Freemantle is better offensively, but he was pretty good when he got here. Defensively? Not so much. Jones was also ready when he got here. Odom is a bit of a mystery to me as I thought from his billing he would have a bigger impact than he has. He's definitely athletic, but that gets equalized at this level. Guys like Tandy, Miles haven't seen the progression you would hope obviously by year 3. He's relied pretty heavily on experienced veterans he's inherited or transfers. Bball is a different game. It's become very transient. I'm a big believer and always have been in not aiming for the highest rated guys and bringing them along. I think there is very limited group of schools who can really do that to be consistently good and get away with it. X would not be in that category. If a coaching staff is really good and focused, I believe developing 3 star kids who will stay 4 years is the approach. However, it involves playing a long roster to keep everyone happy and developing which coaches do not always want to do. Steele is to far along in his tenure to get away with that. Time will tell but they look a lot like they've been the past couple years from early returns, but it's early. I think when FM gets back, assuming he's healthy and can stay on the court, it will be a challenge keeping he and Nunge on the court at the same time as I think they'll struggle defensively. However, they have to get away from all the perimeter shots. I've lost enthusiasm for college bball somewhat in the past couple years in large part due to all the portal garbage. I think it's ruined the quality of product. At some point you have to bite the bullet and get young kids out on the court and take some lumps and make them better. The balance is key. I don't think this coaching staff has played that well. Some fault of their own, and some circumstance.
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:46 pm

Not a road game-Neutral court. Road games for this team will be awfully tough if the keep jacking & missing 3’s. Coaching can make a difference watching Mich State down 7 with 4 Min come back & beat a good Connecticut team.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:32 pm

Michigan if they get in a 3 pt shooting contest with VT they will likely lose. I've seen them play on cable and they have multiple kids who can knock them down. I think they are shooting over 40 pct from 3 as a team which is very, very strong.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”