Over Steele not knowing how to coach.

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Hnoz

Over Steele not knowing how to coach.

Postby Hnoz » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 pm

Where is the zone ?! This is embarrassing! Steele refuses to change his defense when it’s not working! A grade school coach could see this ! He maybe a good recruiter but if you don’t adapt in basketball you get crushed! And we are getting beat up and down court! People make excuses we are down 2 starters but that’s when you change your defense ! Ridiculous! Giving a road map to everyone we play this year! We won’t change ! I can’t wait until he gets fired !
muskieman

Re: Over Steele not knowing how to coach.

Postby muskieman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 pm

Hnoz wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 pm
Where is the zone ?! This is embarrassing! Steele refuses to change his defense when it’s not working! A grade school coach could see this ! He maybe a good recruiter but if you don’t adapt in basketball you get crushed! And we are getting beat up and down court! People make excuses we are down 2 starters but that’s when you change your defense ! Ridiculous! Giving a road map to everyone we play this year! We won’t change ! I can’t wait until he gets fired !
the way State was shooting the ball Zone would not have worked. He did put a press on with some success, maybe you missed that! The team was flat and Iowa State's D was a big part of it. Let's hope they can look better Friday.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 pm

The press did work but then in the 2nd half, Travis had no answers.

I can't comprehend bad defense. It is mostly about desire. You either want to win or you don't. The coach should drive that point home daily.

The shot selection and turnovers is insane. Players make mistakes and will commit a TO periodically but year after year X gives the ball away constantly. Even worse, terrible, and I mean terrible shooters continue to shoot over and over again from 3 point range. How does any sane person allow this.

Decent shooters should take pause before jacking a 3. Is someone open with an easy opportunity? Can we run the offense and get a great look? Is there a couple swing pass opportunities to get an easy bucket? Great shooters can simply take the open look. Bad shooters should think only, is the shot clock at 3 or less?

Confidence is important but the coach can instill confidence in the player while also talking to what they are actually good at. Hunter is a good player. He can do a lot of things but he can't shoot from deep. Hunter is not the first player Travis coached into a liability. Q, Marshall, etc. all took way too many stupid shots and they cost Xavier win after win. I fear Free will only add to the problem while making the defense worse.

Shot selection takes a team from good to very good. Ball control has similar effects. Defense takes a team from good to great. This team should be great on defense. They have the length, quickness and desire.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:25 pm

pdxmuskie wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 pm

I can't comprehend bad defense. It is mostly about desire. You either want to win or you don't. The coach should drive that point home daily.

The shot selection and turnovers is insane. Players make mistakes and will commit a TO periodically but year after year X gives the ball away constantly. Even worse, terrible, and I mean terrible shooters continue to shoot over and over again from 3 point range. How does any sane person allow this.

Decent shooters should take pause before jacking a 3. Is someone open with an easy opportunity? Can we run the offense and get a great look? Is there a couple swing pass opportunities to get an easy bucket? Great shooters can simply take the open look. Bad shooters should think only, is the shot clock at 3 or less?

Confidence is important but the coach can instill confidence in the player while also talking to what they are actually good at. Hunter is a good player. He can do a lot of things but he can't shoot from deep. Hunter is not the first player Travis coached into a liability. Q, Marshall, etc. all took way too many stupid shots and they cost Xavier win after win. I fear Free will only add to the problem while making the defense worse.

Shot selection takes a team from good to very good. Ball control has similar effects. Defense takes a team from good to great. This team should be great on defense. They have the length, quickness and desire.
X's go-to guy Paul had an off night. Remember when Travon had an off night? X would look just as bad. Making shots always makes a team look better and had Paul made half his shots the game might have been different, heck if Jones had had a second-half like the first things might have been different. I agree the D should have been there and it was at times after all in the first half the team lead after being down most of the first half. I have seen many of X's good coaches go to a tournament and lose when they should have won and probably it will happen again.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:47 pm

I do not give a pass for Scruggs having an off night. It certainly makes a difference but if you don't waste possessions and you play hard on the defensive end, you don't lose control of the game. Losing does not make the coach bad nor does winning.

Execution is more correlated with good vs bad coaching but certainly there is deviation.

The problem here is a consistent pattern of bad decision making by Travis's teams. Bad shooters consistently take too many deep shots. The team consistently has too many turnovers. In prior years, the team consistently has questionable defense which was again an issue against Iowa State.

Those consistent issues are huge in determining who wins games. Travis has struggled to win games against good team. There certainly seems to be a correlation between losing and these coaching fails.

I don't know Travis. Have no issues with him as a person. I just want X playing at a high level. That hasn't happened with any consistency under Travis. There are moments. I have no patience left for stupidity. Iowa State made some tough shots and that is great for them but X gave them so many easy buckets - layups, wide open 3s. Losing because a team hits contested shots is absolutely ok. Losing because we didn't stop penetration, didn't help on defense, didn't guard open shooters is unacceptable. Losing because we commit double figure + TOs is not acceptable. Losing because our worst shooters continually shoot from deep is unacceptable.

I'm not in favor of millionaire welfare. If Travis doesn't clean this up by the end of the preseason tournament, he needs to be gone. He was given a ton of rope. It is time to show competency as a coach. That means 0 3 point shots for Hunter. It means rare 3 point shots for Free when he returns.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:29 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:25 pm
pdxmuskie wrote:

X's go-to guy Paul had an off night. Remember when Travon had an off night? X would look just as bad. Making shots always makes a team look better and had Paul made half his shots the game might have been different, heck if Jones had had a second-half like the first things might have been different. I agree the D should have been there and it was at times after all in the first half the team lead after being down most of the first half. I have seen many of X's good coaches go to a tournament and lose when they should have won and probably it will happen again.
Who is Travon?

Oh, Trevon. Which of the many tourney games he played in are you referring to? BTW, OSU lost tonight. X's resume took two hits tonight. I hope Hunter practices corner threes all day tomorrow. "All we needed was five of them to go in and X wins (channeling my best TS)!"
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:31 pm

pdxmuskie wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:47 pm
I do not give a pass for Scruggs having an off night. It certainly makes a difference but if you don't waste possessions and you play hard on the defensive end, you don't lose control of the game. Losing does not make the coach bad nor does winning.

Execution is more correlated with good vs bad coaching but certainly there is deviation.

The problem here is a consistent pattern of bad decision making by Travis's teams. Bad shooters consistently take too many deep shots. The team consistently has too many turnovers. In prior years, the team consistently has questionable defense which was again an issue against Iowa State.

Those consistent issues are huge in determining who wins games. Travis has struggled to win games against good team. There certainly seems to be a correlation between losing and these coaching fails.

I don't know Travis. Have no issues with him as a person. I just want X playing at a high level. That hasn't happened with any consistency under Travis. There are moments. I have no patience left for stupidity. Iowa State made some tough shots and that is great for them but X gave them so many easy buckets - layups, wide open 3s. Losing because a team hits contested shots is absolutely ok. Losing because we didn't stop penetration, didn't help on defense, didn't guard open shooters is unacceptable. Losing because we commit double figure + TOs is not acceptable. Losing because our worst shooters continually shoot from deep is unacceptable.

I'm not in favor of millionaire welfare. If Travis doesn't clean this up by the end of the preseason tournament, he needs to be gone. He was given a ton of rope. It is time to show competency as a coach. That means 0 3 point shots for Hunter. It means rare 3 point shots for Free when he returns.
Spot on.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:52 am

pdxmuskie wrote:

I agree with this analysis. Yes Scruggs and Nate (Fifth year seniors) played HORRIBLY but I am astounded by our CONTINUING issues with shot selection, turnovers and poor rotation. This team was, I thought, our deepest and most veteran team in years. Last night was atrocious. I am still stunned by what I observed.

Frustrated over the last three years, I came down on the side of optimism this year. I believe(d) that Steele is capable of growing into the job. Today, after last night, I am wondering if I'm just completely naïve. Perhaps, as PDX said in an earlier post, Steele's sideline work in the OSU game (and I'll add Kent State) was just a fluke. I thought I saw growth in those games. But, last night, I saw nothing that supported a more confident appraisal of our coach.

Maybe, just maybe, last night will be a wake up call to Scruggs, Nate, Hunter, et all. Most of all, I pray it will be a wake up call to Steele. If not, this season is not going to end well.

I saw a comment on one of these boards "somewhere Wes Miller is smiling". I fear that it could be expanded to "somewhere Big East coaches are smiling".

It is just very hard for me to believe that anyone can go through a twelve year apprenticeship and look so inept on the sidelines. There must be another explanation.
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:03 am

At least we only blew a 1pt halftime lead not 19 like last Yr. Va Tech will be a big test for a quick turnaround. Hope Kunkel is back & Scuggs brings his A game. Nunge & Jones need some help to have any chance against a good Va Tech team. If thing’s don’t get better quickly Top 25 will be a distant memory.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:26 pm

Let me just say this about that - Last evening's performance on the court by players and coaches was HORRIFIC. Only Mr. Nunge deserves to hold his head up high. The litany of bullcrap has been well laid out on this thread and the main ISU game thread. Bottom line, we got beat by a very mediocre team. More precisely, we got embarrassed by two players, a true freshman PG, and a transfer who can only operate when moving to his left... latter part of 2nd half, when ISU iced it, they threw a 1-3-1 zone against us. X responded by appearing to not even recognize it and running the normal motion-man offense against it first few times down. You are going to have games when players are flat, when stars like Paul lay an egg, fine. But Good Lord, it's an early season holiday tourney Coach Steele, expand your bench. Stanley should have spelled Hunter more and Tandy should have been tried in the 1st half as a fill in for Kunkle. Maybe not as many minutes as Kunkle normally gets, but as some other poster commented, to insert Kyky for the first time with 2:37 left and the outcome decided is beyond pitiful when no one else all game showed they knew where the basket was. Finally a comment in general about Steele and his staff. I have not watched a ton of other games yet this year as season is early and have been a bit busy with work, So maybe all head coaches work a game like this. But Steele stands there gawking at the game the entire time away from his staff standing at the coaching line. Seems he is only accessible to and communicating with them during time outs and you would hope halftime. Seems I see other head coaches standing at times like Steele but at other times sitting at front of bench and able to converse with asst coaches in-game. Who is our best asst coach with in-game X & O talent?? I am sorry, as I have mentioned this before, I know that in-game deer in headlights look. I have succumbed to it a few times when my junior high level girls AAU teams have been run out of the gym by a superior squad. Never a good look for a coach and the talented ones, even in a bad loss, maintain their composure and proactive mindset. I bleed XU Blue & White. I root for and respect Coach Steele. I just sense that in-game management is his Achilles' heel. We seem dazed at times, slow to react, and far from composed and proactive.
That said, it is one game, and we are missing some key players, and it is Thanksgiving. A day to enjoy our blessings and loved ones.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”