Villanove Game thread 2/21/21

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Villanove Game thread 2/21/21

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:23 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:07 pm
0-14 from threes in the second half is they make 30% they win. As usual, the hyperbole AH is going nuts. Wondering if sky has covid tonight.
I think if Steele coached the Globetrotters, they would have been about 6 games below 500. He's going to watch tape on the way home to see who clapped the most on the bench. Completely random question:

Would you rather have a below average coach who makes it to the tourney 3 years out of 10, regardless of the great talent on his teams, on not make it in his first four years, despite consecutive years of excellent starts out of the gate, and have the AD terminate him and get a good coach? To be clear, I'm not referring to X, but rather a team who plays in a league in Kazakhstan.

BTW, I now wish coaches had to sit in the stands during the game like tennis, and can't coach or make adjustments like Wright. No particular reason why I feel that way. The thought just creeped into my head after the 18'-19' season.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:25 pm

yellow20xd wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:58 pm
Did they take a nap at half???... What happened to the O???... Dan
Steele waxed poetic for the full 12 minute break that teams that cheer the most win 89.7-91.3% of the time. They don't need no stinkin' strategy.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:29 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:07 pm
0-14 from threes in the second half is they make 30% they win. As usual, the hyperbole AH is going nuts. Wondering if sky has covid tonight.
Sir,

The word you are looking for is hyperbolic, or more accurately, insightful. Not going nuts. Just resigned to the reality of the program. X hit three home runs in a row starting with Matta. I just hope Bill Self doesn't retire soon b/c we can't go into a bidding war with Kansas.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:30 pm

Really tired of AH . Nova has lost one Big Eastbgame (to Butler) in ten years on that floor. Yes I thought we had a great chance to win tonight but Steele didn’t go 0-17 from 3.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:36 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:30 pm
Really tired of AH . Nova has lost one Big Eastbgame (to Butler) in ten years on that floor. Yes I thought we had a great chance to win tonight but Steele didn’t go 0-17 from 3.
No, he just sat idly by while the team chucked up 17 threes. No worries, Funny hat Wednesday has been canceled. That will show them.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:38 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Really tired of AH . Nova has lost one Big Eastbgame (to Butler) in ten years on that floor. Yes I thought we had a great chance to win tonight but Steele didn’t go 0-17 from 3. BTW, what's your opinion of having Hunter and Free in the game over Nunge and Jones at the six minute mark?
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:39 pm

Whether or not you like Steele, tonight's game came down to mental toughness. Villanova had it; X didn't. We faded at crunch time and while ultimately as coach, Steele is accountable, to me, tonight's loss was on the players. When the game isn't going their way, they resort to undisciplined passing, ill timed three balls and lack of focus. Nova's veteran players stepped up; ours did not. The good thing is that Nova didn't (as in the past) have better talent. We matched them well. But, that's also the bad thing. We lost a game we could have won because Nova made us back down.

Still, a loss like tonight's can be beneficial. It can force constructive self assessment, change and make the team tougher for the rest of the season. The great thing about the Big East is there's no time for crying. Muskies need to pick themselves off the mat, look in the mirror and resolve to do better. Then, go do it.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:57 pm

AirJordan wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:39 pm
Whether or not you like Steele, tonight's game came down to mental toughness. Villanova had it; X didn't. We faded at crunch time and while ultimately as coach, Steele is accountable, to me, tonight's loss was on the players. When the game isn't going their way, they resort to undisciplined passing, ill timed three balls and lack of focus. Nova's veteran players stepped up; ours did not. The good thing is that Nova didn't (as in the past) have better talent. We matched them well. But, that's also the bad thing. We lost a game we could have won because Nova made us back down.

Still, a loss like tonight's can be beneficial. It can force constructive self assessment, change and make the team tougher for the rest of the season. The great thing about the Big East is there's no time for crying. Muskies need to pick themselves off the mat, look in the mirror and resolve to do better. Then, go do it.
When one, or even two players play undisciplined, that's on the players, unless Steele pulls them, which isn't his m.o. Hunter is exhibit A, like Carter was last year.

When the greatest advantage, a 7'0" center gets no lobs, and few plays called for him, while his 6'9" counterpart gets six lobs resulting in four steals, that's a problem.

When they miss 17 treys in the 2nd half without exploring the post for twenty seconds first, and very few of them were catch and shoot step in threes, that's a problem.

When Nova scores on 6 of 8 possessions, largely by having their guards post ours and score, or kicking it out to their teammates, with ZERO defensive adjustments, that's a problem.

When two out of three possessions that I saw when Free and Nunge were in the game together, hugging the three point line while Nova compressed their D b/c x was O FOR 17 from threes, and Steele made no adjustment (eg. high low against a team whose tallest player is 6'9") that's a problem.

Three years was a sufficient sample in my mind coming into this season, but then I was encouraged by a good start, as X even beat a very good team in OSU, a scarcity in Steele's three plus years. However, he is a great recruiter, which is paramount, because I think the only was X will ever be successful under his leadership is having talent trump his coaching. Steele is a really nice guy. He has coached several really good games, including the first half tonight. He is too slow on adjustments, and as I've said since his first year, he will let them chuck 40 treys a game, regardless of whether it is a good or bad shooter, and good or bad shot. This is philosophy despite the fact that X has been a poor three point shooting team into year four now. AAU mentality.

I was spoiled, particularly with Miller, and also Mack. Sorry, I just think the terribly nice guy as a person, is below average as a coach. I hope I'm wrong, but as the Board knows, that happens as often as cicadas come around.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:44 pm

AH time to take your Xanax
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:59 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:36 pm
olsingledigit wrote:
No, he just sat idly by while the team chucked up 17 threes. No worries, Funny hat Wednesday has been canceled. That will show them.
Shame they missed all those shots in the second half. Indeed, Nate was off tonight, but Nova made as many 3s as X did tonight. 6-21 or 6 for 23 is not too much of a difference, so I guess to be fair, you must think the same thing about Jay for not telling his guys to stop shooting the threes.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”