Villanove Game thread 2/21/21

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Villanove Game thread 2/21/21

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:09 pm

Just saw a stunning stat on Twitter. With 4:41 left in the game, X had more turnovers (8), then field goals (5). That's not including the other 12 unconventional t.o.s on bad treys for a total of 20 to.s I was generous in assuming 5 of the treys were good. Frankly, any trey Johnson shoots is a good one.

In all seriousness, I did feel better after hearing the post game presser, where coaches usually just throw out clichés. Steele said:

We weren’t good enough tonight.

We have to play forty minutes.

We got to stick together.

It’s a marathon

We got to take care of the ball.

Eerily, no mention of bad threes which are usually the worst kind of turnover because they often lead to runouts.

On a positive note (yes, there is a reason homer is park of my moniker) Odom is playing superbly. I like Jones a lot, but he looks more for his shot, than setting up teammates. He is a talented scorer-slasher, so he should play on the wing. Odom has a high IQ, has developed a great in the lane jumper, finishes well at the rim, plays tenacious D, and often penetrates to create an open look for a teammate.

Against a team like Nova, I wouldn't mind playing four guards primarily, assuming Jones can hold his own against Samuel. I am also favor passing the the ball to the height advantaged Nunge more often than as a last resort. Sadly, I also think Hunter is edging into Carter territory. 10-12 minutes a game seems about right, assuming he doesn't shoot a three, or mid range, or shor jumper. Dunks only. He actually air balled another lab. Love the kid's effort, but he is a stunningly, horrendous offensive player.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:15 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:59 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:36 pm
olsingledigit wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:30 pm
Really tired of AH . Nova has lost one Big Eastbgame (to Butler) in ten years on that floor. Yes I thought we had a great chance to win tonight but Steele didn’t go 0-17 from 3.
No, he just sat idly by while the team chucked up 17 threes. No worries, Funny hat Wednesday has been canceled. That will show them.
Shame they missed all those shots in the second half. Indeed, Nate was off tonight, but Nova made as many 3s as X did tonight. 6-21 or 6 for 23 is not too much of a difference, so I guess to be fair, you must think the same thing about Jay for not telling his guys to stop shooting the threes.
Good point, because Wright's formula for success hasn't proven to be successful. The difference is: the Nova players who shoot treys are good shooters, who take good shots. The only bad three in Steele's book is one not taken. I The odd thing is that X has 5 good-great three point shooters, but great ones become good, good medium, and medium poor, when they are off balance, too deep, shot flat footed, or well defended. That defines the majority of threes taken by X's players. That may be why X has been a bad three point shooing team in Steele's era, despite having good shooters. Mman, what do you think the reason is?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:16 pm

Just finished the game. Steele being Steele in second half. Scruggs looked lost and we decided to take bad threes and continue to throw lob passes into nothing. Another complete breakdown. I smell .500 in BE
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:01 am

1st off, so what if AH beats a dead horse once in awhile, or lays on the sarcasm thickly - he's right tonight & spot on. I really thought I could watch this game calmly and be ok with a loss as there was more pressure on V to hold serve. But I wound up more ticked off than normal cuz we had the horses and this was a winnable game. To play that poorly in the 2nd half, with few adjustments to what V was doing differently, and worst of all making god-awful poor personnel decisions was cruel torture. We all have to deal with this disappointment & frustration differently. At least this site allows for some healthy catharsis. Allow me to tick off a few observations and complaints in bullet form so as to save time:
* I'm sorry, but Zach has not earned a starting spot or all this P/T during crunch time yet. No knock on him, but ball don't lie.
* 2 min into 2nd half it was clear we had the wrong personnel on the court. Dwon & Jack should have replaced Paul & Free.
* V pushed their perimeter D out about 2 to 3 feet higher & more aggressively hedging cuts out higher as well. Steele played right into their hands by permitting our guys to keep running our motion out further and settling for contested 3's or trying high arcing 20ft post entry passes that were easily deflected & stolen countless times. (uh, we teach the proper way to post up, seal, and make a short angled bounce pass post entry in the 5th grade)
So far this year I have seen some growth from Coach Steele & that is a good sign. Tonight though showed the difference between he and the elites is still more like a chasm than we might have hoped for. I like this team, it is diverse and talented, which is what makes witnessing the 2nd half meltdown so damned gut-wrenching. Especially while having to watch our Coach once again exhibit that deer-in-the-headlights pose for most of it. We live to fight another day and all those other cliches AH rattled off in jest, but you know what Coach Wright was thinking as he shook Travis' hand? "Call me your daddy". - Cuz ball don't lie
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:38 am

I nominate that for post of the year. Even Mrs Skyhops asked why Nunge was on the bench for so long. Scruggs has not been playing well and looked like a freshman last night. Nineteen points, excessives TO’s, and bad 3’s in a half will not equal success in BE. Did Steele mention in post game comments if Miles was still in the running for BE defensive player of the year?
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:50 am

2 words describe my feelings....OUT TOUGHED !! Huge difference is at point guard. Gillespie is a wizard in total control of his team.....He is Jay Wright in a uniform. Never out of control no matter the circumstance as in first half last night. He is a leader on the floor. Hard to find those kind of guys.....Wright's teams always, always has an NBA type floor leader.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:17 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:15 pm
muskieman wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:59 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:36 pm

No, he just sat idly by while the team chucked up 17 threes. No worries, Funny hat Wednesday has been canceled. That will show them.
Shame they missed all those shots in the second half. Indeed, Nate was off tonight, but Nova made as many 3s as X did tonight. 6-21 or 6 for 23 is not too much of a difference, so I guess to be fair, you must think the same thing about Jay for not telling his guys to stop shooting the threes.
Good point, because Wright's formula for success hasn't proven to be successful. The difference is: the Nova players who shoot treys are good shooters, who take good shots. The only bad three in Steele's book is one not taken. I The odd thing is that X has 5 good-great three point shooters, but great ones become good, good medium, and medium poor, when they are off balance, too deep, shot flat footed, or well defended. That defines the majority of threes taken by X's players. That may be why X has been a bad three point shooing team in Steele's era, despite having good shooters. Mman, what do you think the reason is?
I think that made shots are the answer in most games, and last night both Nova and X shot poorly from the three, BUT X shot better in the first half and Nova in the second half because they made the same number of shots. I didn't see Jay pull the players that shot so poorly in the first half, did you? If good shooters take good shots, why did the supposed good shooters on NOVA miss all those shots, shooting about 28% for the game? Were they all defended or shot off balance? Why do you think X is the only team to shoot off balance? I think there are times when good shooters make shots, Odom's pull-up jumper and then good shooters miss shots, Odom's pull-up jumper toward the end of the game. I see many teams go on the road and missing shots, and considering Nova has a 20 win streak at home, it is not a mystery they won. I think X could have beaten them had they played 40 minutes like they played the first half. I am with you at times on the threes because also think X takes too many threes and that at times they settle for it, but I know of three of these that came at the end of the shot clock, and one was made last night, and there was probably more! The problem with the three is when they are falling you win(most of the time) and when they are not they lead to other problems than just a missed shot.

I was making the point that you make at times against Travis that Jay didn't tell 1-5, Colin Gillespie, to stop shooting; he didn't tell 0-4 Jermaine Samuels to stop shooting threes even though he is 27% for the year. WHY?

As for last night's game, two things; first, our scorers Colby Jones 3 shots the whole night and missed them all, Paul 2-10, Nate 4-10 only one was a two-pint play, this team cannot have these three guys so quiet in any game. Second, defense, especially inside D, was nonexistent from the big men because some Colin Gillespie made every one of his inside shots, and Dixon was 6-8 and never took a three. Those inside shots also garnered multiple foul shots. And the Nova defense in the second half limited Xavier to 32% shooting and 0-14 three-pointers.

The game turned at an obvious point at the beginning of the second half, which the weird set of turnovers, like Paul getting ball punched out on the Nova side into the hands of a nova player.

I would like to see consistent officiating in games and maybe that is asking for perfection but they get paid to do one thing. Last night they let Nova play bully ball but called a number of touch fouls on X. Example Nunge's three fouls were two quick ones which again limited him in the first half but Nova was all over him when the ball went into him and many times they didn't give him a chance when he caught the ball outside the TPL poking at the ball. Of course, that happens in every game and the home team gets the calls but my question is WHY? Last night the announcer mentioned that when Nova fouls they really foul but the refs were giving them those other fouls. I think Nova plays like a Shaka Smart team that they foul all the time but the refs only catch about a third of them or just say I don't want to blow the whistle all the time which is bad officiating. Like not calling a foul at the end of a game the fans have been brainwashed into accepting a poor job.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:42 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:01 am
1st off, so what if AH beats a dead horse once in awhile, or lays on the sarcasm thickly - he's right tonight & spot on. I really thought I could watch this game calmly and be ok with a loss as there was more pressure on V to hold serve. But I wound up more ticked off than normal cuz we had the horses and this was a winnable game. To play that poorly in the 2nd half, with few adjustments to what V was doing differently, and worst of all making god-awful poor personnel decisions was cruel torture. We all have to deal with this disappointment & frustration differently. At least this site allows for some healthy catharsis. Allow me to tick off a few observations and complaints in bullet form so as to save time:
* I'm sorry, but Zach has not earned a starting spot or all this P/T during crunch time yet. No knock on him, but ball don't lie.
* 2 min into 2nd half it was clear we had the wrong personnel on the court. Dwon & Jack should have replaced Paul & Free.
* V pushed their perimeter D out about 2 to 3 feet higher & more aggressively hedging cuts out higher as well. Steele played right into their hands by permitting our guys to keep running our motion out further and settling for contested 3's or trying high arcing 20ft post entry passes that were easily deflected & stolen countless times. (uh, we teach the proper way to post up, seal, and make a short angled bounce pass post entry in the 5th grade)
So far this year I have seen some growth from Coach Steele & that is a good sign. Tonight though showed the difference between he and the elites is still more like a chasm than we might have hoped for. I like this team, it is diverse and talented, which is what makes witnessing the 2nd half meltdown so damned gut-wrenching. Especially while having to watch our Coach once again exhibit that deer-in-the-headlights pose for most of it. We live to fight another day and all those other cliches AH rattled off in jest, but you know what Coach Wright was thinking as he shook Travis' hand? "Call me your daddy". - Cuz ball don't lie
I think that I can agree with this sensible post. I am sure most coaches look a little lost at times in games, certainly, Jay didn't stop X in the first half when X got the lead because he played only 6 plays for any substantial period of time.

I hope X has learned that with all that talent they still need to adapt in games and that taking time off with low percentage passes and letting the D determine how you play your offense is not an answer. The bright point was Odom getting inside and either shooting or passing it out when others didn't seem to want to do it last night, now he needs to take the shot and get the foul call. 8 guys got significant minutes last night.

What drives me crazy is X plays physically in some games and not in others. I still see big men with one, two, or three rebounds when they should be double-digit every game win or lose.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:45 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:07 pm
muskieman wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:47 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:15 pm
Johnson 2-2 from 3 and is inexplicably pulled. :?:
guess you are only watching the Offense because Nate has not looked good defending so far.
Stunner. Mman provides cover for Steele.
Extraordinary Stunner, you throw the one guy not on the court under the bus every time. I guess TS should know when you want him to sub in and out players to make you happy. Nate was supposed to be one of the top three experienced players for X, and last night, he looked like someone hurt or someone without a clue when he was taken out. Of course, 2-2 could not have imagined 4-10, which was his final number, but he was taken out because being 2-2 from three means he scored 6 points, but as Larkin pointed out, you can't give it back on the Defense which he did. You complain that TS doesn't pull bad defenders, and when he does for a few minutes, you complain because he went 2-2. Which one do you want or maybe you are just a whinner at heart.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am

Villanova mauled Creighton last night at the Pavilion 75-41 CU went 3-24 from the threes and had 16 TOs.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”