And just like that the CDC changes rules again

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

And just like that the CDC changes rules again

Postby muskieman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:37 pm

The Associated Press
@AP

BREAKING: U.S. health officials are cutting isolation restrictions for those who test positive for the coronavirus and shortening the time that close contacts have to quarantine. People with the virus can leave isolation after five days, down from 10 days.

Are we following the science yet?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
tacitus

Re: And just like that the CDC changes rules again

Postby tacitus » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:07 am

The science would say that if the goal is to prevent spread, then the best option would be for every contact to self-isolate for two weeks, since it can take up to two weeks for symptoms to manifest and viral shredding to initiate. But considering economic, social and, unfortunately, political aspects, two weeks is not very practical. I suppose they have seen that a certain percentage of infected individuals will start sowing symptoms after only five days or less. If that is 80% or so and everyone has to do an antigen test at the end of quarantine, then a five-day quarantine is probably a good compromise.
Let's March!
JTG

Postby JTG » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:31 am

I know of 2 people that have had the current variant. In both cases it wasn't much worse than the common cold or a mild flu. Yes it spreads but it doesn't seem to be severe unless you are unusually compromised. We are going to have to learn to live with this, until it runs it's course. Oh, and Thanks China for creating this mess.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:40 am

They need to change the protocol for playing games or else we're headed for a repeat of last year.If Hurley is the reason for canceling tonight, tell him to stay home and play the game. Follow the NFL's lead on this
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:39 am

JTG wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:31 am
I know of 2 people that have had the current variant. In both cases it wasn't much worse than the common cold or a mild flu. Yes it spreads but it doesn't seem to be severe unless you are unusually compromised. We are going to have to learn to live with this, until it runs it's course. Oh, and Thanks China for creating this mess.
I suppose this observational study you have conducted is still being peer reviewed? :D
Let's March!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:02 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:40 am
They need to change the protocol for playing games or else we're headed for a repeat of last year.If Hurley is the reason for canceling tonight, tell him to stay home and play the game. Follow the NFL's lead on this
He is just one of a number of people at UConn. It does beg the question had it been a home game for UConn one wonders if the game would have been canceled I hope when the BE tries to reschedule they take into account that this was a home game and if no date can be scheduled then the UConn home game is played at X.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:35 pm

The recommendation was for those who test positive but have no symptoms in 5 days and then they should wear a mask for 5 days. So I guess a lot would be based on if these players show symptoms
JTG

Postby JTG » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:25 pm

The NFL has just changed their quarantine policy to 5 days, vaxed or unvaxed. BE should do the same. And could someone explain Georgetown's 8 days in advance cancellation ? Come on Val, grow a pair...errr, um, put the hammer down.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:03 pm

What y’all said.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”