Butler Game Thread 1/7/22

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Butler Game Thread 1/7/22

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:57 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:41 pm
Butler D only gives up 61 point average per game and X hangs 87 on them at their house, err I mean Barn
They also hung 40 on X and scored 8 above their average offensively. X is the most talented team in the league. They blew a big opportunity at Nova, so the game at the Cintas is critical for the league title.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:23 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:57 pm
muskieman wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:41 pm
Butler D only gives up 61 point average per game and X hangs 87 on them at their house, err I mean Barn
They also hung 40 on X and scored 8 above their average offensively. X is the most talented team in the league. They blew a big opportunity at Nova, so the game at the Cintas is critical for the league title.
Definitely, they need to beat down Nova. Loved Nunge's block toward the end of the game and Kunkel's euro step at 100 MPH will be great memories. Always good to get a win at the Barn.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:32 am

Nice win. AK has proved me wrong and has been a spark for this team and can defend enough. Nice game by Scruggs and Steele.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:46 am

X's teams under Steele have not been great defensively. Part of it is personnel and their management, and part of it is scheme. Also, the undisciplined three point shooting often leads to runouts and buckets. They have been much better this year despite the continued, three point shooting barrage (see Nova game, and ALL others) because this is the first where he has employed zone to any degree, and also applies more pressure. Also, two guys have been a big upgrade: Nunge and Hunter.

Nunge's timing and ability to block/contest shots w/o fouling, along with Hunter's ability to defend 1-4 has made scoring in the paint and creating mismatches more difficult. Nova made a living doing this, especially when they had Bridges, who absolutely owned Bluiett by posting him up. Fortunately, Tre was such a prolific scorer, he more than made up for his defensive liability.

I'm not so sure the same can be said about Free. I like him very much, and he is so good offensively, but he has no idea how to defend the high ball screen situations. He routinely misses assignments leading to easy buckets. Even the very player-coach friendly, but astute basketball writers at D & V pointed it out in a tweet.

I think he certainly should play a lot, but more so in zone, or when Nunge is in the game. Butler went at him relentlessly, and the guards attacked whenever he was the post guy in the paint. I cringe when I see him and Kunkel (is decent, but clearly overmatched against quicker, more physical guards) in the game at the same time. As stated, I like him and Kunkel very much, but think their PT should be in the 18-22 minute range depending on the matchups and score.

It's nice that X doesn't need to have Free in the game like the previous two years. It is great having him available though, because he looks to be on another level offensively, except for his 3 point shooting, which should be more judicious, like the rest of the team, except for Johnson.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:57 pm

AH, I hope X's Offense is as hot against Nova but their D will have to be tighter to get a W. Odom had trouble on D against Aaron Thompson but Thompson scored 20 so few people stopped him consistently. Both teams' Ds were deficient as X had a lot of open threes and Butler made it look easy going to the rim. Both teams had very good offensive nights X's was just much better.

Things I loved seeing last night 1) obviously Adams 25 points in 26 minutes because of his beautiful threes followed by his taking it to the rim. 2) I love seeing Nunge glide to the basket on Offense or getting a great pass for a soft layup and his shot-blocking when it looked like an easy layup. 3) Paul when he is in control and not trying to do everything 6 assists and 2 turnovers. 4) Bench points from X and not from the opponent 5) TOs so low you have to check it twice 5) Hunter driving to the basket 6) X shooting 55% from the field

Things I didn't like to see 1) Nunge and Free at the three-point line when Nunge passes to Free and nobody is under the basket 2) Nate and Jones not getting double digits in scoring because in Nate's case he only takes 2 shots. 3) Refs making obviously bad calls or missing obvious calls so much that the announcers question them.

Best thing last night was when the X crowd was chanting "let's go X as the Butler crowd started to leave early. Reminded me of one of Larkins's best quotes when Dayton fans would leave early... Looks like blood draining out of a corpse.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:18 pm

Missed entire game due to a stupid work event. Such is life. Taped it and will watch in full tomorrow, looking forward to it. Was able to glimpse at TV from rather far away and caught a few moments here & there in 2nd half. Got to see AK quite ebullient a few times. Also saw Free get abused defensively on an inbounds play - Good Lord... So, 3 takes from box score:
1) How does Nate only take two shots?
2) Seems AK and Hunter were huge.
3) When will Steele learn Jack should be getting the slight advantage in minutes over Free?

Road kill, we take it & we love it. On to Nova

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”