Beat Nova game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Beat Nova game thread

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:11 am

January 12, 2022, at 6:30 pm Cintas Center

FS1 with play-by-play from Kevin Kugler and analyst Bill Raftery.

55KRC-AM Sirius (137), XM (202), and the SXM App. (965).

X needs to be more physical than Nova, dominate the paint and get them into foul trouble by driving the ball
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Re: Beat Nova game thread

Postby longliveskip » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:49 am

here's my keys:

1. make more shots than they do
2. commit less turnovers than they do
3. outrebound them
4. commit less fouls than them
5. make more 3 pt shots than them
6. shoot over 80% from the FT line
7. score more points than them

i feel like if we do all these things we may be in a winnable game in the last 4 minute war.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:50 am

Is it possible for Xavier to beat Nova and the Bengals to win a playoff game in the same week? I hope so.Both are way overdue
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:20 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:49 am
here's my keys:

3. outrebound them

i feel like if we do all these things we may be in a winnable game in the last 4 minute war.
Very well thought out. I concur.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:16 pm

to add on to before, what i really hope for is that at the last tv timeout, we are in a WINNABLE game. either we are up or down 1-2 possessions and then see who can make plays at the end.

really, in this league, and especially against teams like Nova, that's all we can ask/hope for. put yourself in a position to win at the last tv timeout and then see who can make plays.

would i rather be up 10-12 points at the last tv timeout? yes.

but i'm not getting greedy.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:49 pm

Talk & analysis are great, but mostly idle fodder while we await tip. You know, I was watching and enjoying the last 9 minutes of the Baylor vs TT game I stumbled upon last evening. TT did not play perfectly, had many wasted possessions down the stretch, and a very damaging silly TO - yet still pulled off the shocking upset. Seemed their secret sauce was courage, confidence and defense. The courage came from their collective hearts, and their confidence to withstand some play-by-play adversity seemed to stem from their coaching staff which appeared to give off a 'lighthouse in the storm' vibe. The D was obviously well taught and bought into.
I will take courage, confidence and D over anything else. I believe we have the more talented team, not by leaps & miles, but enough. Now have we learned how to win a game like this..?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:49 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:49 am
here's my keys:

3. outrebound them

I say if we do #7 we don't have to worry about any 4-minute war.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:55 pm

Lots of energy but playing tight. Nova looks smoother. Nunge has some looks but is too far from the basket when he gets the ball. Missing easy shots. Dunks are better than layups against Nova. I like Hunter and Free driving.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:00 pm

Paul and Odom have 2 fouls.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:00 pm

Nova cannot be beat as long as Gillespie automatically goes to the line when he drives. 3 fouls in his favor yet not fouled a single time

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”