Beat Nova game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Pandinus

Re: Beat Nova game thread

Postby Pandinus » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:57 pm

We obviously didn’t lose the game on 1 play, but I’m in shock over Scruggs’s decision to drive and force an off balance shot with 16sec to go. At that point (down 2, no shot clock) hold out and work for the best possible look to tie. We had the advantage going into OT.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:07 pm

pdxmuskie wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:46 pm
That was a coaching loss. The reason I say that is that X let this get out of control late in the first half because they played desperate. Chucking 3 after 3 trying to get it all back with each possession rather than playing controlled and trusting they were the better team.

TS should have called a TO, calmed the team down and insure they understood that playing for good close shots was the best path. Also informing specific players that they should not shoot the 3.

Additionally, the officials were waiting to call fouls all game. Taking the ball to the rim was generating fouls and could have resulted in many Nova players leaving the game. Every bad 3 was worse than a turnover as it was a lost opportunity to draw a foul.
I don't agree. Colby and Odom, particularly along with Scruggs and Johnson, went to the rim often in first half. As well, there were several time-outs in the last 6-8 minutes which helped X only marginally. You're right in the sense that I view any loss as partly attributable to coaching. But, really, to me, it comes down to Villanova doing whatever they have to do to win and X, in the end, never being able to do the same. This game was lost before the opening tip and its because Nova lives between our ears. Is Steele partly responsible for that? Yes. But so are our players. Ultimately they have to step up and stop allowing Nova to having their way with us.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:14 pm

Pandinus wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:57 pm
We obviously didn’t lose the game on 1 play, but I’m in shock over Scruggs’s decision to drive and force an off balance shot with 16sec to go. At that point (down 2, no shot clock) hold out and work for the best possible look to tie. We had the advantage going into OT.
Scruggs knocked down two key 3’s down the stretch. No issues with him trying to make plays like a veteran leader. Could he have gotten a better look? Maybe. But I like the hot handed Senior trying to make things happen.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:28 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:14 pm
Pandinus wrote:
Scruggs knocked down two key 3’s down the stretch. No issues with him trying to make plays like a veteran leader. Could he have gotten a better look? Maybe. But I like the hot handed Senior trying to make things happen.
That play came out of a timeout. I may be wrong but I assume that it was called for Scruggs to do exactly what he did. I mean it wasn't a good shot (obviously) but had it been my call, I too would have put the ball in his hands. He is our leader and had just hit a clutch three. Now maybe he could have taken it inside and pitched it back out for an open three and, in retrospect, that's probably what he should have done. But, I'm O.K. with Scruggs having the ball at end of game when we need someone to make a play.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:40 pm

Good news X held Nova to 26 in the second half bad news is X was 7-17 on layups
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:28 pm

X blew yet another opportunity at a high-quality win, something which has been mostly absent in the Steele era. This is Nova's most talent-challenged team since being in the BE, and they treated X like their b#@ch again. Indelible marks on Mack's and Steele's legacies. It's a culture issue at X with Steele. Accountability is selective and lacking. Their shot selection again was abysmal. I'm not referring to the threes, though some of those were included. While trailing by double digits for most of the game, we saw two bad Scrugg's treys and horrendous forced shots on drives, a flat-footed trey from 18% shooting Zac, an off-balanced wing shot from Hunter, a fadeaway three from Kunkel, and on and on.

Dixon, Moore, and Gillespie scored almost all the points in the last game. The same thing happened this game. Jay W didn't change his gsame plan, which was smart, as they won by 13. Neither did X's coach. They must not have watched game film from their 1st game. Anyone other than Kyky can force shots, not box out, play hero ball, and not play D. Speaking of the latter, Free needs to see a lot more pine. He would have to average 25 a game to offset his defensive woes. He makes Kyky and Kunkel look like Mitchell from Baylor. I've never seen an X player blow more assignments on defense. Steele is oblivious to it though. That 1-6 from the field must have offset the latter in his mind.

Nova is very disciplined. The other players let Nova's big three (which includes a slow-footed rich man's Larry Sykes at center) duplicate the first game because Steele did not make one adjustment. I take that back. He played zone for a few possessions. Scruggs was abused by Gillespie, and Johnson by Moore. He should have put Jones on Gillespie and Hunter on Moore. OR SOMETHING ELSE. They bullied X's guards, so make them adjust to more length.

Until Steele makes players accountable (other than Kyky, who carries the cross for the rest of the team), we X fans will just have to hope what AAU fans hope for: That talent will overcome deficits elsewhere.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 pm

AirJordan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:28 pm
Jesseandrippers wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:14 pm
Pandinus wrote:
That play came out of a timeout. I may be wrong but I assume that it was called for Scruggs to do exactly what he did. I mean it wasn't a good shot (obviously) but had it been my call, I too would have put the ball in his hands. He is our leader and had just hit a clutch three. Now maybe he could have taken it inside and pitched it back out for an open three and, in retrospect, that's probably what he should have done. But, I'm O.K. with Scruggs having the ball at end of game when we need someone to make a play.
Nothing wrong with the play called. Scruggs made a horrible decision. Nunge was wide open for an alley-oop. Jack was visibly frustrated by Scrugg's bonehead move. Hero ball. Marshall redux.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:32 pm

pdxmuskie wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:16 pm
A truly pathetic performance. The team is playing scared and it is getting out of control.
#culture.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:37 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:49 pm
Happy they showed some grit and battled back. Should generate a bit of confidence come conf tournament time.
One can hope. X is clearly more talented than Nova. Out of their cumulative top seven, Gillespie and Moore would be the only two Nova players in that group. They made Dixon, who wouldn't average 14 points at Tulane, look like that Illinois center. Basketball is the sport where coaching influences the outcome the most. Tonight and 21 or so days ago are Exhibits A & B.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:51 pm

I was there. It was an ugly game all around by both teams and the refs. Too too many missed lay ups and short shots. Too many missed free throws. Not important, but I questioned the starting line up at the beginning and the slow to bad start, maybe confirmed that. 64-60 is really low scoring on both teams part.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”