Beat Nova game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Beat Nova game thread

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:52 pm

The play was for Scruggs to pass the ball on the drive, but he decided to play hero ball and with most of his big game decisions it did not work and it cost Xavier the game. We looked really soft compared to Nova especially in the first half, which has been typcial for this team in big games in the Steele era. Free's defensive is beyond terrible and Steele leaving him in instead of Nunge was another major downfall. Having the commentators repeatedly say that we did not come out ready to play is embarrassing. Back to mediocrity.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:07 am

Coaches coach and players are suppose to play and score. A couple of X players delivered the scoring ,but most Xavier players did not deliver and put the ball through the net for points. Scoring 60 points and missing tons of lay ups and missing too many free throws was on the players, not the coach. Plenty of blame to go around.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 am

Had to allow myself a bit of time to simmer down. Now reading through this thread I see many missing the boat here in general. You can't just say "well, we missed a lot of layups, so maybe next time they go in" or "Scruggs cost us the game by his last shot decision" Both statements have a ring of truth yet you really have to dig deeper. I must concur with AH once again, as negative as he comes across, he nails many crucial points. Gillespie is Jay Wright's avatar on the court. I just sensed Collin was giggling throughout the game as we never even tried to steer them away from their offensive game plan. Oh, ok - we threw a 7th grade level 2-3 zone at them, wow. Moore was their secret weapon who scored most of their crucial buckets as X made their run. Nate could not handle him, no offense to Nate, he just isn't built for that. Hunter is....? Hello!
The only positive is we did come out and play with heart the second half. (which begs the obvious question of why we were left at the starting gate, but I digress). But come on, that is sad when you're hanging your hat of crap like that. Loser's think in those terms. Culture - stems from the top. I mentioned before the game that good teams have Courage, confidence and tenacious D. Well, we managed only some courage in the 2nd half. Not sufficient. So back to my main point, aside from agreeing with Anti's breakdown, this X vs Nova thing will never be something that you can isolate on any game by game basis. Last night we missed close in shots and some poor shot selections including the last one. Last game it was an 0 for 17 run of 3 point shots and a defensive collapse in the 2nd half. Next game it will be something else - because of leadership and culture. No more, no less.
Wish it weren't so, trust me...
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:36 am

skyhops wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:52 pm
The play was for Scruggs to pass the ball on the drive, but he decided to play hero ball and with most of his big game decisions it did not work and it cost Xavier the game. We looked really soft compared to Nova especially in the first half, which has been typcial for this team in big games in the Steele era. Free's defensive is beyond terrible and Steele leaving him in instead of Nunge was another major downfall. Having the commentators repeatedly say that we did not come out ready to play is embarrassing. Back to mediocrity.
I don't know what the play called for. Clearly, Scruggs took a bad shot. He wanted the ball at the end, I assume, but didn't make a play. Other than that interpretation, I agree with your post. We have, as AH said, become Nova's bitch. We need to acknowledge that right now if we are to find a way to undo it. Clearly, we lack leaders. for big games, on this team. Whether his poor play reflects lingering issues from his foot surgery or just lingering issues from slow footedness, the pre-season accolades lavished on ZFree seem laughable today. You are right. He doesn't deserve to be in the starting lineup. Rather than becoming a lion, he plays like a puppy. Defensively and offensively he is lost. His performance has earned him, at best, twenty minutes a game. Maybe, hopefully, he wakes up. If not, his best use comes from a sitting position next to his teammates.

We lack toughness, from our players and our coaching staff. I hope we put high priority on finding a Tyrique Jones type transfer for next season. Who knows if Nunge will return and I'm suspect of all of our bigs, veterans and freshman alike. For the rest of this year we've got Hunter and Nunge, that's it. Don't know if Stanley's lack of playing time is due to his past injury of if his play just doesn't cut it but we need help on the frontline.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:44 am

Pretty simple: we were not as ready from the tip as we should have been. Why ? V plays great D challenging every layup and jumper causing our shooting % to suffer tremendously. Zach is in a slump and its not easy to watch this young man struggle. Notice V always provides weakside help on D under the basket and on drives as well causing us to alter shots and forcing misses. Our bigs missed bunnies because they were always challenged. We were 3-16 rom 3 pt range so why were we not pounding the ball inside like we did in the second? We fouled two of their bigs out late using this strategy. We could have had them in serious foul trouble by the end of the first half. V guards never get off game plan....they get into the lane and do tremendous destruction either getting the layup or passing back out for the 3. Oh well, knowing what V is doing is one thing stopping it is another. Our biggest advantage was in the post we just did not capitalize on it enough.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:26 pm

i'll just try to respond to all of the stuff on here but it's gonna be difficult.

for the "not ready to play" folks. are you serious? complete and utter nonsense. just because you miss some open looks/easy bunnies doesn't mean you aren't "ready to play". it's completely ludicrous. too many of you on here seem to forget these dudes are still 18-22 years old. they're gonna miss sometime but when they miss some easy shots you wanna blame Steele or culture or whatever else instead of saying "they just missed" and you think the program is in complete disarray/freefall. guess what? it's not.

Scruggs' last shot was fine. a 5 ft floater in the lane that he makes like 80% of the time from your leader. why do you have to get the "last shot"? you don't, so that in case you miss you have a chance at a putback or a missed FT and still have another possession. it didn't work out.

people on here complaining about FT's. are you serious? we shot 79% from the line and most games X fans would be dancing in their seats for that % but since Nova shot like 120% from the line then that means we were terrible from the line. ludicrous. only one that i thought was a "big" miss was Colby on his front end of 1 and 1.

change to a zone more? really? against a team who shoots it as well as Nova does? ummmmmm, NO THANK YOU. we held them to 64 points so if anyone thinks the defense was the problem then i have some prime real estate to you sell you at the base of an active volcano.

i don't care how you slice it but we played WELL ENOUGH TO WIN, but didn't SHOOT well enough to win. those two things CAN and ARE true. it's that simple.

Nova IS more talented. they do have the better coach.

heck, even @ShotQuality twitter showed that we ended up with higher quality possessions than Nova and that based on quality of shots taken, we win that game 74% of the time.

definitely tougher to take when you had the ball with a chance to tie/win with under a minute. X did what i'd hoped they do against a top 20 team - they were in a winnable game at the last tv timeout and had the chance to make plays to win. they just didn't.

i'm not happy at all, but i'm certainly pleased with the effort.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:51 pm

Scruggs last shot was not a good shot at all. It was off balanced, challenged, and not what was drawn up during the timeout. As for not being ready to play that was brought up by Rafferty multiple times. We have one of the oldest teams in the country not bunch of 18 year olds. What’s next, we lost because of the refs?
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:15 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:51 pm
Scruggs last shot was not a good shot at all. It was off balanced, challenged, and not what was drawn up during the timeout. As for not being ready to play that was brought up by Rafferty multiple times. We have one of the oldest teams in the country not bunch of 18 year olds. What’s next, we lost because of the refs?
f%&$ing Raftery is probably 5 jack daniels in by the time he starts announcing a game so i could care less what he says unless it's "ONIONS!"

how could you possibly know what was drawn up in the timeout? did Steele say in his presser that the play was to go to so and so but Scruggs took it himself? i didn't hear that. the shot wasn't off balance at all and if he takes that shot any other time during the game no one bats an eye on it at all. the shot was fine and really not challenged at all. he had a clean look at the rim on a 5-7 ft floater in the lane that, as i said, he makes like 80% of the time. if Scruggs makes that shot NONE of you are calling it a bad shot and if you say still would, you're a liar.

i said 18-22 year olds. they're still freaking KIDS, man. not professionals.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:47 pm

We can agree to disagree, but that wasn't a good shot and Nunge was pissed that he didn't pass it to him like he should have. I'm sorry but I don't consider 28 year old Johnson and 26 year old Scruggs kids.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:17 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:47 pm
We can agree to disagree, but that wasn't a good shot and Nunge was pissed that he didn't pass it to him like he should have. I'm sorry but I don't consider 28 year old Johnson and 26 year old Scruggs kids.
we can agree that they're not that old.

and Nunge being pissed or not has zero to do with whether the shot was bad or good. as i stated, if it goes in, NO ONE is saying it's bad but since he missed it, then apparently it was. can't have it both ways. i'm not saying that he may have been able to dish or lob to Nunge. it's hard to tell. but i just watched the shot like 5 times in a row. it's one he makes 80% of the time. heck it was almost a LAYUP (like a lot of our misses) and Nunge wasn't mad because he didn't get the pass. he was mad he didn't grab the rebound, which he had right in his hand and then let it go out of bounds.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”